What will you do..

12 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

The Scottish reflex to dislike cricket is baffling. It's the perfect spectator sport.

I'm sure it is VG, and to be honest I'm not one to talk - my favourite sport is baseball...

Actually watched an hour of Indian cricket on the telly this evening. Seemed faster paced than that tweedy English malarkey. Different kind of cricket? 

Haven holiday with the family.

Getting my son ready for nursery. He's profoundly autistic and non verbal but we've been using these visual cards which has transformed his whole life. Now we can sort of communicate with him and he doesn't get anywhere near as deregulated. Fucking chuffed to bits for him.

My daughter (who refuses to eat fish) has been asking me to teach her to fish so I'm going to get that in too.

Meanwhile the next Dundee banter situation should be bubbling away pre season. Can't wait.

I like this aspect of it. It's very gentlemanly. You either win or you don't win. The flip side would be saying that we'll just wipe out a big chunk of the competition and call it as it lies. Surely no Scottish football fans would be in favour of that...
I like that it goes on a long time. It has its twists and turns and the match is a long story. People say it's boring, but it's no more boring than a hell of a lot of football matches. A lot of time on a football pitch is people chucking throw-ins up the touchline while people head the ball back and forward etc.
A lot of people in Scotland simply don't like it as it has English connotations. It's a great game and, for me, the best day out spectator sport by a mile. I'm looking forward to quite a bit of it in the coming weeks.
Scottish club cricket is also fun, especially in the lower leagues, we have fights and get to shout abuse at eachother for 7 hours then go for a drink, I miss it.

23 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

The Scottish reflex to dislike cricket is baffling. It's the perfect spectator sport.

I went to see Birmingham Phoenix v the Oval at Edgbaston last summer, in The Hundred. It was good as a day out, but the sport itself, I just cannot get in to at all. Even the shortened format and pyrotechnics failed to get me genuinely excited.

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

I would suggest that not every sport has to be exciting.  Interesting, relaxing, thoughtful, genteel, fascinating etc has its place. We place far too much emphasis on 'exciting' in Scotland for all the good it's done us. 

That's great. It kind of falls apart when the whole format of the sport has been redesigned specifically with excitement in mind though. As The 100 was.

On 17/05/2022 at 19:28, The Other Foot said:

I'm sure it is VG, and to be honest I'm not one to talk - my favourite sport is baseball...

Actually watched an hour of Indian cricket on the telly this evening. Seemed faster paced than that tweedy English malarkey. Different kind of cricket? 

Baseball's not bad, to be honest. But not a patch on the cricket.

Were you watching the IPL? It's a much shorter form of cricket. The purists hate it, but I enjoy the full-fat test format and the shorter ones. Room for both, for me.

9 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Were you watching the IPL? It's a much shorter form of cricket. The purists hate it, but I enjoy the full-fat test format and the shorter ones. Room for both, for me.

Yep, it was IPL. Hyderabad v Mumbai I think. Very fast paced, very 'branded' - very entertaining! 

55 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Yep, it was IPL. Hyderabad v Mumbai I think. Very fast paced, very 'branded' - very entertaining! 

Twenty20 is good fun. I've been to the T20 World Cup a couple of times, and it's a really fun thing to go along to.

Australia has the Big Bash competition, which is basically the same thing.

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Twenty20 is good fun. I've been to the T20 World Cup a couple of times, and it's a really fun thing to go along to.

Australia has the Big Bash competition, which is basically the same thing.

Scotland play two T20 matches against New Zealand in Stockbridge at the end of July

Although if you want to see  something more competitive then the ODI against the USA might be better

15 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I like cricket and played it at school and when I was at Uni. It's a great sport. I know what you mean about the full fat test matches being the real deal. I also find the auto-Scottish reaction to cricket baffling especially when said by guys who then go on to bore you about golf. 

I do think that some of the disdain it's held in is sometimes because the kids were bored stupid when playing it at school as some bloody teacher played see if you can get me out and did his best Geoff Boycott impression scoring 3 runs for 160 balls.

I like cricket and played it at school and when I was at Uni. It's a great sport. I know what you mean about the full fat test matches being the real deal. I also find the auto-Scottish reaction to cricket baffling especially when said by guys who then go on to bore you about golf. 
I do think that some of the disdain it's held in is sometimes because the kids were bored stupid when playing it at school as some bloody teacher played see if you can get me out and did his best Geoff Boycott impression scoring 3 runs for 160 balls.

Golf seems a bit like sudoku. I can see how you might find it interesting to play it yourself but can’t see the appeal of hearing about other people’s game at the weekend or watching people play it for money on telly

34 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Golf seems a bit like sudoku. I can see how you might find it interesting to play it yourself but can’t see the appeal of hearing about other people’s game at the weekend or watching people play it for money on telly

I guess it's about the shared context. If I was massively into puzzles I might want to hear about someone else's sudoku game ☺️.

Well my Tivo box is 79% full so an extra 4hrs a week not watching MoTD/Sportscene will help me catch up on trashy American dramas...  Got a list of possible days out that I can take my wain on and get her off her laptop for a while. Also been working our way through her Disney Classic DVD's. Plus tickets for The Killers, Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers to look forward to.

Also, isn't baseball just Professional Rounders? "A group of grown men getting together to reward the act of running around in a circle." And cricket? Kinda similar except they run up and down instead of a circle.