League Placing Records - From Split introduction (2000-01 Season)

To be fair to Ric if you look at the All time Scottish Top Flight table St Mirren are 9th v 12th in the table in this thread. In terms of total points accumulated. So they have performed better in the past than the last 20 years. 
Motherwell are 6th v 5th in this table. Which show our consistency has actually lasted for the past 100 years +. Hibs leapfrog us into 5th in the all time table. Which is hardly surprising. 
And that as oppose to many of our fans beliefs the last 20 odd years has been a better period than on average for Motherwell FC. I am old enough to have see us play in what was the 1st division. Any supporter under 40 will have no recollection of Motherwell being anything other than a top flight side.
I think it is inevitable in my lifetime I will get the chance to watch Motherwell in the lower leagues. Hope not, but we are not a bigger club than the likes of Dundee, Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs who have all been relegated this past decade. Just been better managed during this time. 

The all time table skews in favour of the big 5 (Dumbarton, Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and St Mirren) who were founder members. We had a 4 year start on Motherwell and Dundee United wouldn’t even exist as Dundee Hibernian for another 19 years

Another thing I just noticed, top 6 runs.

Aberdeen have an 8 season run, Hearts 7 but from inception, Hibs and St Johnstone 6 (different decades) and Motherwell 5 seasons. Everyone else has yo-yo'd. My own team almost season to season, probably a result of free agents on one year contracts - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. At least we seem to be trying to remedy this.

Evident that the nature of the league and finances involved mean that if someone (player or manager) does well the costs of poaching/dislodging isn't often that high. Whither elsewhere in our own league or down south it is inevitable that the form of the raided team dips as radars alerted due to their prior success.

The 2010's was not a good one in the capital for league form.  Cups .... different story, Hearts 3 SC, 1 LC finals, 1 SC win. Hibs 4 SC, 2 LC finals and 1 SC win.

Edited by Kapowzer

• 1 year later...

image.thumb.png.8fb7bdc7c6531b53b65b9b62d85255b9.png

Updated for 2022/23. Highlights include:

St Mirren get top 6 for the first time since the league split was introduced and have the biggest improvement (+0.28*). They could overhaul Dundee next year if they ensure there is a 5 league place difference.

The Champions take a whole .01 off their average.

Aberdeen improve modestly in the average but massively from last seasons 10th place. Courtesy of the Robson revival post Darvel, a bronze medal and €4.5m UEFA windfall.

The best the Arabs can do next season (13th) is 8.46, not allowing their nearest rival in Perth to overtake them even with a league win.

HIbs draw level with Motherwell on top 6's (which is madness).

FInally, Accies championship playoff and drop means the best they can achieve next season is 23 means they drop 0.24 and an average of just over 16th place. Probably about time to consign them not being worthy of a place.

*The Cinch Fan Club's record since their inception in 2012 has improved by a whopping .70 but as their fans and media like to count pre-2012 stuff so it is only 0.15, put those cigars away peepul.

Edited by Kapowzer

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Can you do "post-split top six games won" next? 

Thank you.

Ha, you're trying to get the denizens of Paisley out for you with their pitchforks after their internal audit ..... nope and I think that's my last, the changes in averages now we're in year 23 are so minimal that there's no point doing it for 10 years.

Edited by Kapowzer

37 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

One small error i noted is Livingston finished 6th not 5th in 20/21 

They then have a 5-6-7-8 record over the last 4 seasons 

At least we've got 2 more years before worrying about relegation.