2022/23 Challenge Cup

grazza

The fact which I always find more baffling than including the B teams at all, is the fact they can use players who are on loan elsewhere in the SPFL, thereby leaving them cup-tied. Was there not a game recently where Dundee were playing players against Peterhead, who were on loan at Peterhead?

1 minute ago, David W said:

The fact which I always find more baffling than including the B teams at all, is the fact they can use players who are on loan elsewhere in the SPFL, thereby leaving them cup-tied. Was there not a game recently where Dundee were playing players against Peterhead, who were on loan at Peterhead?

IIRC there were 3 players withdrawn by Dundee that day.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

The B teams are absolutely killing what was a decent lower league diddy competition. It's been on a downward spiral for years but that really was a death knell for it.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm no fan of the B teams being involved (though it's nowhere near as bad as having them in the league system), but I'm not sure that the level of interest in what basically amounts to a preliminary round really tells you anything about the popularity of the competition. 8 of the 11 proper teams playing in this round wouldn't even have been in the competition under the traditional format (6 out of 11 from 2014 onwards).

Appreciate I'm in a minority of about 1 but I've never really seen why people get their knickers so twisted about the B teams. It's an SPFL competition and I don't see any great issue with all the SPFL members taking part in it. The Premiership sides field kids teams and, barring Rangers slightly fortunate run to the semi finals a few years back, are routinely papped out the first time they play anyone decent. In fact as seen by the fact 7 of them lost in this round, they are pretty routinely papped out by teams that aren't decent!

I'm not really convinced that they get anything out of it though. The notion that they are learning from senior football exposure is somewhat negated by being punted in 90 minutes by Brechin or Buckie!

I don't see the competition as any more devalued than it was 20 years ago really and I didn't care one iota that Colt sides started in it when we were playing Raith in the final last season.

1 hour ago, David W said:

Meh, the reason the guys are allowed to go out on loan in the  first place is that the big sides can recall them to fill out their youth sides in age level competition, which this is for them. And not withstanding what I said above, supposedly its their best chance of exposing the rest of their squad to a cup run against senior players. I don't think it's unreasonable that they want to play their strongest youth side in it. We've lost on loan goalkeeper Tom Ritchie cup tied for the competition now that he played for Aberdeen (fruitlessly) last night. It is what it is though. It's not a surprise. We knew when he came on loan they wanted him back to play in this.

There has been a rule change this season though as a direct result of that Dundee game against Peterhead last season. You are now no longer permitted to play against a team you are on loan to. In that situation Dundee could still of course insist the players weren't cup tied and remained eligible for them in it but they wouldn't have been allowed to play against Peterhead.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, David W said:

Yeah lol, we played all 3 of our loanees at Peterhead against them, got beat, and they were cup-tied and couldn't play for them in the next round. I'd like to assume that was our way of showing the SPFL how ridiculous having B teams in this competition is, but I'd be kidding myself tbh.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Hearts first scorer last night is being listed as Connor Smith in various places, and Michael Smith in others. Anyone able to confirm?

Definitely Connor. It also wasn't Robbie Neilson playing in their back four despite what some places have suggested.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Definitely Connor. It also wasn't Robbie Neilson playing in their back four despite what some places have suggested.

Braw. Many thanks. Is there a legit line-up online anywhere? Soccerway has Neilson in the side, as does a screenshot I've seen from Sky Sports. 

That's the level of giving of fucks given you're dealing with here.  They see Smith and Neilson and surmise the 33 year old first team right back is playing for the reserve team, as is the 42 year old first team manager.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Braw. Many thanks. Is there a legit line-up online anywhere? Soccerway has Neilson in the side, as does a screenshot I've seen from Sky Sports. 

The rest of the line-up will be correct with Lewis Neilson and Connor Smith in place of their somewhat older namesakes.

20 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Why should crowds show up when they have no interest in watching a meaningless competition?

Will be hard enough to afford proper games for a lot of folk this season, never mind this nonsense.

But is it a meaningless competition if its the only chance of silverware these teams have got? 

1 hour ago, MrBoy2022 said:

But is it a meaningless competition if its the only chance of silverware these teams have got? 

League titles count as silverware. Every single club would rather win their league that whatever this cup is called these days.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Hearts first scorer last night is being listed as Connor Smith in various places, and Michael Smith in others. Anyone able to confirm?

Definitely Connor as my mate was there. He also took this photie which has the numbers of the subs

A1C294C2-A954-4497-8DBC-4F5FFF8F83A1.thumb.jpeg.6e54417b2c387d71097f17cb03a7cd88.jpeg

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

The introduction of B teams into the Challenge Cup has reinvigorated the competition. It's like having another Scottish Cup/League Cup but instead of the current Premiership teams it is Premiership teams future World Cup winning Scotland internationalists from the future.