2022/23 Challenge Cup

grazza

I notice Caernarfon Town have won the Welsh premier play off which is used to decide spot in this cup since Wales have lot a European place. Strangely BBC article also says The New Saints are going into the challenge cup. I though it was the highest placed teams not in Europe that would be invited yet the winners get in but 3rd and 4th don't but winners of this play off do. 

I haven't seen really any details on next years competition, is it reverting back to to pre covid and so non Scottish teams again invited. I assume sadly colt teams probably still involved.  Can't see details on next years competition as yet, seem like the Welsh know more than we do.  

12 minutes ago, grazza said:

I notice Caernarfon Town have won the Welsh premier play off which is used to decide spot in this cup since Wales have lot a European place. Strangely BBC article also says The New Saints are going into the challenge cup. I though it was the highest placed teams not in Europe that would be invited yet the winners get in but 3rd and 4th don't but winners of this play off do. 

I haven't seen really any details on next years competition, is it reverting back to to pre covid and so non Scottish teams again invited. I assume sadly colt teams probably still involved.  Can't see details on next years competition as yet, seem like the Welsh know more than we do.  

Wales and Northern Ireland always send their best 2 teams because of the quality of their league. It's only the league of Ireland that sends the teams outside Europe because its a stronger league. If you put the Irish league winners and runners up they would probably end up winnning the cup every other year. 

1 hour ago, grazza said:

They've probably decided to use this spot to retain their play-off even though they've lost a European spot.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, come on shire said:

I know this doesn't always excite everyone but does anyone know when the draw for this is?

Looking back at least year's edition the first draw wasn't made until early July, so I presume we'll be waiting for a few weeks in a similar fashion. Waiting with anticipation no doubt!

Guest Flash
13 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Looking back at least year's edition the first draw wasn't made until early July, so I presume we'll be waiting for a few weeks in a similar fashion. Waiting with anticipation no doubt!

There was an announcement about the format, dates, sponsorship and tv deal last year on 20 May. The sponsorship and tv deal only mentioned covering the one season. There hasn’t been anything this year yet and the competition isn’t even mentioned in the SPFL ‘Key Dates’ section but that could be because it isn’t important enough. You’d think, though, they would have said something, even if only about the teams that are in it, like whether teams from other countries are back in.
Is it possible they are looking for a new sponsor and if they don’t get one it will be quietly dropped? 

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

There was an announcement about the format, dates, sponsorship and tv deal last year on 20 May. The sponsorship and tv deal only mentioned covering the one season. There hasn’t been anything this year yet and the competition isn’t even mentioned in the SPFL ‘Key Dates’ section but that could be because it isn’t important enough. You’d think, though, they would have said something, even if only about the teams that are in it, like whether teams from other countries are back in.
Is it possible they are looking for a new sponsor and if they don’t get one it will be quietly dropped? 

I would have and am surprised they haven't, but it wouldn't be too crazy for me to believe that they are just not going to put any effort in. I don't feel finding a sponsor is the issue, they didn't really have one for last season either considering the sponsor was their own Trust.

Guest Flash
8 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I would have and am surprised they haven't, but it wouldn't be too crazy for me to believe that they are just not going to put any effort in. I don't feel finding a sponsor is the issue, they didn't really have one for last season either considering the sponsor was their own Trust.

Aye, I was thinking if they’ve invited teams from other countries, the SPFL Trust couldn’t sponsor it, or, at any rate, they couldn’t give prize money to clubs from outside Scotland. And if those clubs don’t have guaranteed income to at least cover their expenses, they won’t want to be in it. So, maybe “outsiders” being invited is dependent on having a new sponsor and that is why there’s a delay in announcing who is in it etc. Maybe they won’t bin it without a new sponsor but it might mean just Scottish teams again.
As you say, it could just be a general lack of effort.

• 3 weeks later...

I see they've finally decided to bother with this thing. Draw for the 1st and 2nd rounds is live on YouTube on 4th July, and 4 clubs from outside Scotland will be invited: TNS and Caernarfon Town (Wales) and Linfield and Cliftonville (Northern Ireland).

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-trust-trophy-202223