Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's next permanent manager?  

182 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You know it's a relatively decent appointment on the face of it when fans of other clubs are nowhere to be seen.

Usually we're getting a piley on after our past few appointments!

I think it's an excellent appointment and he has (almost) unparalleled contacts in the lower leagues in England & English academies. Certainly better than some of the dung that was being touted like Maloney. Billy Barr a hard as nails Yorkshireman who had a long career in the English lower leagues at Halfiax and Carlisle.

Comparisons with Coco the Clown very wide of the mark, this is a guy who knows his stuff really.

Feel free to bookmark this and ridicule me after he's sacked in mid-January following a torried 0-4 reverse at home to Queen's Park, I guess. But this could have been a much worse appointment. At least it's not the return of Bomber Brown.

1 minute ago, micaley68 said:

Looks like a decent appointment,  you just need to back him now to assemble the squad that he needs. 

Our managers always get a decent backing for transfers, it was just our previous managers were useless c***s.

I am actually pretty confident in Bowyer.

Good appointment and the best of it is you've dodged a lot of bullets - such as Maloney, Bomber Brown, Bazza, Yogi, etc. etc.  Salford have a habit of hiring decent managers and then firing them too soon, so it COULD work out well for you. See you all next season (in the Premier, not the Championship).

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

You know it's a relatively decent appointment on the face of it when fans of other clubs are nowhere to be seen.

Usually we're getting a piley on after our past few appointments!

On the face of it, if you're judging against what it seems you didn't want eg: a repeat of McCann, McPake etc. then you've brought in an experienced manager who's worked at some big clubs with 357 games under his belt at levels ranging from EFL Championship through to League 2 along with experience in youth coaching with Derby.

I noticed a guy on TDBF trying to make the point that it was weird that people were more accepting of Bowyer than they were McGhee because McGhee was also an experienced manager who had managed at a higher level. I get his point but f**k me...Bowyer was in employment as recently as last month McGhee hadn't managed a team at any real level in 5 years before he pitched up at Dens...and also, it's Mark McGhee.

It feels like folk are often too quick to jump on win % as the be all and end all. Like, it's clearly an important factor but it's worth taking into account context around the jobs he's had and also where those teams finished in the league.

Also, the idea that you'd compare managing in the EFL Championship and SPFL Championship as equal is a bit daft.

Blackburn have generally been a shambles since the Venkys takeover so finishing 8th in the Championship looks like he made a decent enough fist of it, Blackpool were an absolute fucking basket-case with the Oysten ownership, Bradford have also been an absolute mess and tbh being sacked by Salford isn't any great indication of anything given they're now on their 4th manager since they binned Alexander in 2020.

Fwiw, here's Bradford's list of managers since over the past 10 years - there's probably a point at which you have to consider that maybe its not the managers that have been the problem...

979999328_ScreenShot2022-06-08at16_01_25.thumb.png.2e7a0592d60571917e19207945a6d142.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bradford_City_A.F.C._managers

By the by here's a thread on Salford's forum covering Bowyer, Greg Strong etc getting emptied. It sounds an absolute shitshow and their fans seem fairly scunnered with the whole situation.

https://salfordcityfcfans.proboards.com/thread/3665/greg-strong-gary-bowyer-january

Edited by capt_oats

Yes a lor of behind the scenes issues at Bradford in the last decade so Bowyer's record there is a bit of an outlier. At his other clubs has always seemed competent, steady and dare I say it, a little boring. Maybe Dundee could do with boring competence for a while after the ludcrous circus of McGhee.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

I don't think anyone knows who he is.

When I saw his name mentioned a couple of days ago I mistook him for Gary Rowett who happens to be manager of Millwall.

When I saw Dundee unveiling him today it was a bit of “who’s that guy?”. Seems to have done okay down South and he’s not off the usual carrousel of Scottish diddy managers so based on that it seems a decent appointment.

1 minute ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Maybe Dundee could do with boring competence for a while after the ludcrous circus of McGhee.

You just know this isn't going to happen and it will be one of the following...

A) Bowyer is involved in a match fixing scandal where Dundee end up pumping Morten by 10.

B) Bowyer and Gowser have a full on brawl that gets Bowyer sacked and Gowser in jail.

C) Bowyer is caught outside in a Blackpool top, saying how fondly he loves the tangerines. He gets the nut stuck on him and walks out the next day.

D) Dundee win a cup.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

When I saw his name mentioned a couple of days ago I mistook him for Gary Rowett who happens to be manager of Millwall.

When I saw Dundee unveiling him today it was a bit of “who’s that guy?”. Seems to have done okay down South and he’s not off the usual carrousel of Scottish diddy managers so based on that it seems a decent appointment.

I got him mixed up with Lee Bowyer so was hoping he’d get in numerous scraps with other managers/his own players.

I will say that I will be quite frustrated by Dundee managing to make a good appointment purely because the utterly shite guy they went for first said no.