Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's next permanent manager?  

182 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Wonder how much of this is down to any decent, experienced candidates looking at our structure and thinking "fucked if I'm answering to Strachan".

Genuinely think that's why Jack Ross was willing to go through the interview process only to decide it wasn't for him.

30 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Wonder how much of this is down to any decent, experienced candidates looking at our structure and thinking "fucked if I'm answering to Strachan".

Apart from Nelms chasing Jack Ross around while he was on his holidays before giving the job to McCann who else has been in the running when he's made other appointments? Have they generally just been straightforward? From memory they just handed McPake the job after his interim spell?

Reason I ask is from the outside looking in it feels like there's maybe a disconnect between what the expectations the club have and the level of candidate they're trying to get. Like if they've spoken to Ross it's a make-or-break hire for him it has to be the right set up others who have been mentioned clearly have other options eg: Maloney (Burnley) and Thomson (QPR).

It's kind of on the club to convince the manager why they should take the job rather than just asking someone if they want to continue in the role as a path of least resistance.

There's also a question of whether Nelms/Strachan actually know what the f**k they want from a manager.

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Apart from Nelms chasing Jack Ross around while he was on his holidays before giving the job to McCann who else has been in the running when he's made other appointments? Have they generally just been straightforward? From memory they just handed McPake the job after his interim spell?

Reason I ask is from the outside looking in it feels like there's maybe a disconnect between what the expectations the club have and the level of candidate they're trying to get. Like if they've spoken to Ross it's a make-or-break hire for him it has to be the right set up others who have been mentioned clearly have other options eg: Maloney (Burnley) and Thomson (QPR).

It's kind of on the club to convince the manager why they should take the job rather than just asking someone if they want to continue in the role as a path of least resistance.

There's also a question of whether Nelms/Strachan actually know what the f**k they want from a manager.

Goodwin was apparently lined up instead of McPake but the rumour at the time was that Strachan vouched for McPake and Nelms was only to happy to appoint his 'son'. Could just have easily been Jim Goodwin rejecting us mind, but that was the story at the time.

We tend to always go for relatively left field options under Nelms with no one really having a clue what's going on.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Goodwin was apparently lined up instead of McPake but the rumour at the time was that Strachan vouched for McPake and Nelms was only to happy to appoint his 'son'. Could just have easily been Jim Goodwin rejecting us mind, but that was the story at the time.

We tend to always go for relatively left field options under Nelms with no one really having a clue what's going on.

Nelms is on record (after the McIntyre appointment I think) as saying he keeps a database of managers on his computer that he regularly updates and knows exactly who can bring what to the table.

I can only imagine he is still using a ZX Spectrum.

Edited by Shadow Play

10 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Nelms is on record (after the McIntyre appointment I think) as saying he keeps a database of managers on his computer that he regularly updates and knows exactly who can bring what to the table.

I can only imagine he is still using a ZX Spectrum.

It's Strachan that's the decider this time round though so Nelms' list will have been binned and that's a crying shame IMO. 

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:
Does Strachan want the job himself?

At this rate he might have to.

The Muirhoose Trapatoni to take the dark blues to glory.

Seems all serious appointments have fallen through. I think the only logical route from here is to give the job to Simon Stainrod. A banter hiring but one the fans can really get behind.