Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's next permanent manager?  

182 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

The way people are pedaling this 'Ross is the messiah in some Dundee fans eyes' is absolute nonsense. He was the logical choice and after 4 pathetic appointments in a row to see Dundee once again deviate from the logical choice (whether it's the club's fault or not) is always gonna create an uproar.

I know you're sort of acknowledging this yourself with "whether it's the club's fault or not", but can this even be described as deviating? If Dundee were choosing to appoint someone else ahead of Ross then yeah, pile in, but if Ross doesn't want the job then what are Dundee supposed to do about it?

This isn't like 2017 when you could have had him but hilariously chose to fling money at Neil McCann instead, he's already turned down St Mirren and Kilmarnock this year. He's just realistically out of reach for any club in the Championship.

Maloney of course is going to be yet another shite appointment, however assuming he''ll be similarly backed to previous managers, he should still skoosh the easiest Championship line up for years. If he doesn't he's as well quitting football management altogether. I also think he'll be comparatively a better manager than McPake at this level, although that's hardly a high fucking bar. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

As I laid out in unnecessary detail when we approached Ross, it's difficult to know what job he actually would be offered/would take at this stage.

He lives in a nice part of Northumberland and was obviously happy commuting to Edinburgh. The only commutable English jobs from there would be Carlisle, maybe Middlesbrough, or at an absolute push one of the Yorkshire clubs. But I don't think his stock is anywhere near high enough to be offered one of those.

He missed out on the Aberdeen job, Hearts would never touch him, so that leaves... Livingston, if he doesn't want to relocate?

I thought the Dundee job was a decent fit for him to get back on track. Skoosh the league, decent budget to rebuild the following season.

I think, in his head, he's biding his time to get offered a job at a decent English club. He doesn't realise how irrelevant he's becoming. 

Hartlepool are looking for a new manager, which geographically is fine but again may be a level below what he may consider. Agree he is becoming irrelevant - he really nèeds to put down roots with a club and stay there for a few years to try and rebuild his reputation.

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Hartlepool are looking for a new manager, which geographically is fine but again may be a level below what he may consider. Agree he is becoming irrelevant - he really nèeds to put down roots with a club and stay there for a few years to try and rebuild his reputation.

Hartley has just turned down the Hartlepool job apparently. Would certainly have him ahead of Maloney.

Other than he’s not Jack Ross, what’s everyone got against Maloney? Yeah he’s inexperienced in his own right and wasn’t given much time at hibs but it’s been acknowledged he should have had longer.

Prior to that he’s been an U20 development coach for Celtic and Assistant Head Coach for Belgium under Martinez. I’d say his coaching pedigree suggests he could be a promising appointment.

4 minutes ago, dburns said:

Other than he’s not Jack Ross, what’s everyone got against Maloney? Yeah he’s inexperienced in his own right and wasn’t given much time at hibs but it’s been acknowledged he should have had longer.

Prior to that he’s been an U20 development coach for Celtic and Assistant Head Coach for Belgium under Martinez. I’d say his coaching pedigree suggests he could be a promising appointment.

Yeah, I have nothing against his potential ability.

I just think he is a bit of a dick.

6 minutes ago, dburns said:

Should he have? Ron Gordon has came out and said it was a mistake to punt Ross which only further emphasises that Maloney shouldn't have got the job in the first place and reaffirmed what a mistake it was to appoint Maloney.

The coaching stuff at Belgium is a bit of a misnomer too. Yes, it's good, but Alan Russell was the coach at England, John Carver currently coaches Scotland, Paul Nevin is currently coaching England etc and we wouldn't want them as manager. He got that role due to his relationship with Martinez. 

Certainly wouldn't want Austin MacPhee or Ian Cathro as manager which is who I'd say Maloney gets closest aligned with and certainly gives off the same kind of vibes.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Should he have? Ron Gordon has came out and said it was a mistake to punt Ross which only further emphasises that Maloney shouldn't have got the job in the first place and reaffirmed what a mistake it was to appoint Maloney.

The coaching stuff at Belgium is a bit of a misnomer too. Yes, it's good, but Alan Russell was the coach at England, John Carver currently coaches Scotland, Paul Nevin is currently coaching England etc and we wouldn't want them as manager. He got that role due to his relationship with Martinez. 

Certainly wouldn't want Austin MacPhee or Ian Cathro as manager which is who I'd say Maloney gets closest aligned with and certainly gives off the same kind of vibes.

TBF, I think that he and Ron Gordon had a falling out and Ron Gordon is coming across as a bit of a child with his statements.

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

TBF, I think that he and Ron Gordon had a falling out and Ron Gordon is coming across as a bit of a child with his statements.

Falling out with the head honcho is never a good sign either. Especially when they're next going to be under the command of people as petty and stubborn as Nelms & Strachan!

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

There was this article as well which was absolutely scathing about Maloney's attitude:

One Premiership boss in scathing Shaun Maloney verdict as he’s branded deluded and out of his depth - Daily Record

Presumably that's Robbie Neilson who's bitching about him?

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

There was this article as well which was absolutely scathing about Maloney's attitude:

One Premiership boss in scathing Shaun Maloney verdict as he’s branded deluded and out of his depth - Daily Record

Don't like the sound of that, at all.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Presumably that's Robbie Neilson who's bitching about him?

I always thought it was Jim Goodwin. He wasn’t best pleased after Maloney said we should’ve battered his St Mirren team by four or five goals but instead lost 1-0. 

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I always had it down as Martindale!

2 minutes ago, Zing. said:

I always thought it was Jim Goodwin. He wasn’t best pleased after Maloney said we should’ve battered his St Mirren team by four or five goals but instead lost 1-0. 

Just assuming as it came after the two games against Hearts tbh.

1 hour ago, dburns said:

Perhaps by some, but not us fans - he will probably turn out to be a dece coach, but imo he should have started off somewhere lower down (like Ross at Alloa etc?).

For me, Dundee is still too big a gig at this stage of his career.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yep