SJFC 🔵 ⚪ v 🔵 🔴 ICTFC. Playoff Final.

I started this thread thinking that Pavement-influenced content would be clearly superior to the Morrissey-themed shite we've had to endure for the last couple of seasons. 

This reader has been disappointed. 

Anyway ICT winning is on balance the better result for us, especially as Sutherland's missing. Duffly, not so much. I expect we'll probably squeeze through over 2 legs but the obvious downside for all concerned is that our manager stays in place.  

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

St Johnstone haven't been sitting about twiddling their thumbs the last two weeks. If anything the extra two days rest will give Inverness the edge here.

We've been twiddling our thumbs for 12 months f**k you very much.

6 hours ago, bennett said:

Inverness have had 4 gruelling games and a couple of suspensions(?) while the Fermers should be going in pretty fresh.

Since 30th April both teams will have played 4 games each with different pressures on the two teams throughout that time. Inverness will have had two extra days recovery than Saintees, will possibly have one of the suspensions quashed, and are going into the ties on slightly more of a high.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Since 30th April both teams will have played 4 games each with different pressures on the two teams throughout that time. Inverness will have had two extra days recovery than Saintees, will possibly have one of the suspensions quashed, and are going into the ties on slightly more of a high.

We just beat the last finalists to beat Real Madrid in a European final.

Canny get any better than that surely?

Anyway, onto this game. Que sera será 

Assuming Duffy and Devine are both suspended we will probably slot Deas into central defence and play Harper at left back. This isn’t good - Harper hasn’t really looked like a player at Championship level since he broke into the squad and he isn’t someone I’d want to be relying on in a game like this.

I’d assume that we’ll continue with McAlear and Welsh anchoring the midfield. As for in front of them, Sutherland potentially missing is a blow, if that’s confirmed. We have decent options there with Doran, Walsh, Chalmers etc but are these the guys to best a top flight team? 

Up front the obvious choice is McKay. Samuels has shown he is a good striker but I think he’s a great asset to have coming off the bench. Joe Hardy is the same, although strangely playing long balls up to a hobbit sized striker against Arbroaths big defenders worked pretty well last night for some reason.

Overall, I’m not that confident. We have done amazingly to get to the final, coming from behind against a Partick and then fitting through a tough situation last night. I’m just not sure if we’ve got the firepower to take down St J. Also, and I’ve not been closely following the Premiership this year, it seems to me that St Johnstone have improved later in the season. I usually think of a team falls into the play offs (for example, Hibs when Accies beat them) they are more likely to have confidence issues. For StJ that doesn’t seem the case.

We have to go to Inverness playing for a win.  The temptation for Davidson will be go there and play safely and be content with a draw. 

On paper, we have far better players, so outperforming them over two legs is the safest option. A tight, cautious low scoring draw in the first game brings it all down to a one off cup tie.

We saw last night how easy it is for a ref or crazy decisions by players to turn a game completely on its head. Luckily for Inverness they still came through despite all of that.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

It’s taken him a few months to get into his stride but he made a big difference in the play off games against Partick. He had a thankless task last night. McKay is the much better fit for these ties but Samuels can be good to bring off the bench.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

It’s taken him a few months to get into his stride but he made a big difference in the play off games against Partick. He had a thankless task last night. McKay is the much better fit for these ties but Samuels can be good to bring off the bench.

That’s good to hear. I was being a bit facetious. 

He didn’t ever really look good enough with us (on a limited sample size) but no shortage of endeavour and his pace should cause a lot of defences in this country problems. 

If he’s added a bit of guile and/or quality to his game then he’s an asset. 

Perth is the worst away day in the league outside of the OF so purely based on that, Mon the Caley Jags.
Expect the Saints will take care of them pretty comfortably over the two legs though.