a wee question

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did Stevie Crawford not get capped while with Raith in the second tier?

Have I made that up?

His first cap was in 1995 I believe, so Raith were newly promoted.

Antoine Curier used to get called up to Guadeloupe when with Dundee.

Callum Morris got called up to Northern Ireland when he was with us and Aird got called up to Canada.

4 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I’m not sure if Charlie Trafford ever got a call up when playing for us but I’m sure he did for the Canadian national team at one point. 

I don't remember Trafford getting a call-up when he was with us, but Richard Hastings and Davide Xausa both played for Canada when they were us in the second tier years ago.  Richard Hastings even scored a golden goal winner in the Gold Cup against Mexico when he was playing for us!

Edited by Highland Capital

5 hours ago, parsboi said:

When mentioning Rajamaki etc, How could you possibly forget your legendary goalie, Andre Boe…? 62 caps for Cameroon allegedly, and of course star of a certain game at East End.  Happy memories….😂

I can quite understand why beating Morton is considered such a memorable event for Dunfermline fans in this era, but I don't think it was that big a thing back then.

Boe was only registered with Morton for a short time and played three games- I doubt he was capped during his time at the club.

8 minutes ago, Toby said:

I can quite understand why beating Morton is considered such a memorable event for Dunfermline fans in this era, but I don't think it was that big a thing back then.

Boe was only registered with Morton for a short time and played three games- I doubt he was capped during his time at the club.

I just remember the game very well because, (as is alluded to later by BA) we don’t win very often v Morton - even back then.  I also recall some interesting articles about the Cameroonian keeper Mr Boe being a bit of a character.  Or chancer.  One or the other….

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

His first cap was in 1995 I believe, so Raith were newly promoted.

You're both (sort of) right! If I remember rightly Stevie Crawford got his first cap for Scotland against Ecuador in the Kirin Cup in Japan in 1995. It was at the end of May, so we had won promotion from the First Division and the season had finished, but we hadn't started playing in the Premier yet.

Other Raith players I can think of that haven't been mentioned are goalkeeper Samuel Monin, who was capped for Senegal in the early 2000s while he was with us; and Harry Panayiotou, who played for St Kitts and Nevis while with us in 2016 (although maybe he doesn't count as he was on loan from Leicester and therefore not 'our' player 😉

15 hours ago, Athlete29 said:

Marvin Andrews would have surely got a few while playing at this level?

Sat beside Marvin on a flight up from Heathrow a few years back, was a really nice lad.

As an aside, I don't really know how the myth that Andre Boe was ever a regular for Cameroon has persisted. Aye, prior to the internet being commonly available it was easier for something untrue like that to take root and spread around if a newspaper printed it through laziness having not checked their facts, which the Daily Record apparently did, but we're talking about Cameroon in the 80s and 90s here. In those decades they won two Nations Cups, were runners up in another and qualified for four World Cups, getting to the quarter final of one of them. Checking who was playing for Cameroon then is hardly like trying to track down teamsheets for Scottish Cup ties in the 1880s, and doing so shows Boe got one cap in a qualifier v Gabon in 1989.

Joseph-Antoine Bell (70 caps), Thomas N'Kono (63 caps) & Jacques Songo'o (80 caps) were all playing throughout Boe's career, all of them were Cameroonian Champions then when they moved to Europe spent several seasons as first choice at Marseille, Espanyol and Deportivo respectively, also playing for other clubs in France and Spain. Bell was voted the best African goalkeeper of all time, N'Kono won the African Champions League twice and was a UEFA Cup runner-up, Songo'o won La Liga. If there was another guy getting 60 odd caps among that competition, d'you reckon he'd have ended up as second choice at Morton?

Andy Kirk another northern Irish call up from this league.

Bound to be a few players called up from rangers when they were in the league. 

Boyce maybe got called up from hearts last year?

Fon williams got called up but I don’t think played last season for Wales.

Odmar Færø earned his first cap in 2012 for the Faroe Islands when he was with Forfar in League One. May also have been called up when with Banks O'Dee in 2016 who were in the NRJFA Superleague.