Top Gun:Maverick

MuckleMoo

On 19/06/2022 at 22:39, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Anybody who complains about that film had no business being in that cinema in the first place

It did exactly what it said on the tin

Hmmm. It didn't promise utter shite dialogue and a bunch of nostalgia berries in lieu of plot.

It did promise cool action scenes and Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise, which is what I was after. 

• 3 weeks later...

As soon as I saw a Top Gun remake was being brought out, I decided not to see it out of principle to avoid funding lazy film-makers.

Well, I eventually saw it on Friday after a guilt trip from the other half... and loved it.  Was worried after 10 mins as it was just shoehorning in the old jacket, bike and other bits of nostalgia etc etc, making it like the shitey newest Ghostbusters in that regard.  Thankfully they dropped that so that anything else only came in dribs and drabs, and I thought it was superb from there on.  Proven wrong, and happy to be.

Definitely needs the cinema experience though.  Makes me want to see the original again if they bring it back to cinemas.

Edited by Hedgecutter

25 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

As soon as I saw a Top Gun remake was being brought out, I decided not to see it out of principle to avoid funding lazy film-makers.

Well, I eventually saw it on Friday after a guilt trip from the other half... and loved it.  Was worried after 10 mins as it was just shoehorning in the old jacket, bike and other bits of nostalgia etc etc, making it like the shitey newest Ghostbusters in that regard.  Thankfully they dropped that so that anything else only came in dribs and drabs, and I thought it was superb from there on.  Proven wrong, and happy to be.

Definitely needs the cinema experience though.  Makes me want to see the original again if they bring it back to cinemas.

I was surprised that I didn’t see many double features advertised, the way they did with stuff like Star Wars and Infinity War/Endgame.

I’d have happily sat through both back to back in the cinema