Top Gun:Maverick

MuckleMoo

Released in cinemas on the 25th of this month the film is getting rave reviews from critics who have seen it. Still got fond memories of sneaking into the cinema to see the first one as I was underage at the time.

Thinking that this will be one of those films that has to be seen on the big screen to fully appreciate it

I presume Tom Cruise will play the part of Tom Cruise, which allows him to avoid acting and simply look like a c**t on screen. Pretty much like every other film he has been cast in.

Edit: While the lad is an awful actor, I should add that he's been in some great movies, and that his stunt work is really impressive. Just shame he can't act (and is a religious nutjob).

Edited by Ric

The original is class. 

Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian wrote quite a funny review of the new one focusing on how there is no homoeroticism in the new one and the comments are full of Mike from Spaced types who are incredulous about Top Gun being smeared as gay. Very entertaining. 

No Cruise slander here please. If he's good enough for Stanley Kubrick he's good for the Pie and Bovril General Nonsense Television and Film sub forum. 

Edited by Detournement

5 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:

Thinking that this will be one of those films that has to be seen on the big screen to fully appreciate it

I'm thinking 4DX.

Did it for Spider-Man:No Way Home, and bouncing about in the seat while he was swinging through NYC was tremendous. Can only imagine how good a 4G negative dive will feel, even if it can't fully invert

Really surprised at how good the reviews are for this, didn't think they'd be able to pull it off.

Give him his dues Cruise is a very good actor with an incredible work ethic. Despite how much of an oddball he may be.

On 16/05/2022 at 00:06, UpInTheAyr said:

Really surprised at how good the reviews are for this, didn't think they'd be able to pull it off.

So many movies have flopped at the box office since Covid that I think any film that might get more people back in cinemas will get some hyperbole from reviewers.

Apart from kid's films, MCU pish, Bond, Batman and Dune almost every big release has struggled to make its budget back. 

Edited by Detournement

On 16/05/2022 at 00:06, UpInTheAyr said:

Give him his dues Cruise is a very good actor with an incredible work ethic. Despite how much of an oddball he may be.

This is an absolute must watch if you haven't seen it, incredible that Channel 4 didn't get their arse sued to the moon and back when this was aired about 15 years ago. 

And if you haven't seen the Elton John episode that's ten times as outrageous.  😂

On 13/05/2022 at 14:21, Ric said:

I presume Tom Cruise will play the part of Tom Cruise, which allows him to avoid acting and simply look like a c**t on screen. Pretty much like every other film he has been cast in.

Edit: While the lad is an awful actor, I should add that he's been in some great movies, and that his stunt work is really impressive. Just shame he can't act (and is a religious nutjob).

Can't act apart from films like Rain Man, Born on the 4th July, Jerry Maguire, Magnolia, Collateral...he has made some mad choices and a few turkeys but when he tries he can definitely act

2 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Can't act apart from films like Rain Man, Born on the 4th July, Jerry Maguire, Magnolia, Collateral...he has made some mad choices and a few turkeys but when he tries he can definitely act

He's absolutely brilliant in Collateral, in a very un-Tom Cruise role as well, the ruthless Vincent is most definitely not the type of character you would expect him to play, ironically when casting that movie you could actually see him playing Jamie Foxx's character, but he pulls it off brilliantly. 

image.thumb.png.1b96d9d64f82fdc986f91ded3196f398.png

Eyes Wide Shut is peak Cruise. Letting Stanley Kubrick destroy his marriage over a two year shoot at the peak of his fame to make a masterpiece of a film that made absolutely no sense to the public when it was released. 

All because he loves movies. 

Loved it and going back on Sunday. Was a huge fan of the original and without doubt was the film that had a huge influence on me joining the armed forces.

The sequences in the jets are insane, lots of nostalgic moments but not so much that it feels like a reboot. The first 10 minutes I just sat with goosebumps and was everything as a fan I hoped it would be

Edited by Jinky67