Motherwell: European Vacation 2022

Swello

Jobbers who come up from as high up as the English 3rd tier more often than not struggle. You do get exceptions (The Caley had a few at the same time, which was nice), but on the whole yes, they’re shite. 

I always watch a SkyBet game from any of the 3 tiers when they’re on and even the League One stuff is shite. Boys on 5 large a week and barely any of them can control a ball and it’s a 100mph hot potato job.  People see these players come up here and think they’ll be decent but more often than not they’re pish. Especially National League and lower.

That brought back some bad memories when we were embarrassingly humbled by FH from Iceland. TBF, Icelandic football was a lot better than what people gave it credit for, and they had actually won the league that season (summer football). Thankfully since then there has been a couple of Scottish results that dwarf that. Hearts getting fired out by a Maltese team, and Motherwell embarrassed this season definitely beat it now, thankfully. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Jobbers who come up from as high up as the English 3rd tier more often than not struggle. You do get exceptions (The Caley had a few at the same time, which was nice), but on the whole yes, they’re shite. 

I always watch a SkyBet game from any of the 3 tiers when they’re on and even the League One stuff is shite. Boys on 5 large a week and barely any of them can control a ball and it’s a 100mph hot potato job.  People see these players come up here and think they’ll be decent but more often than not they’re pish. Especially National League and lower.

While I agree about the overall standard, the issue is that Scottish football repeatedly lets absolute dogshit players from England come in and dominate the league. That's why managers persist on using the overpaid English lower league market.

Take Ayo Obileye who was going nowhere as a National League jobber, before signing for Queen of the South and now playing in the top flight with Livingston. Or Regan Charles-Cook (Solihull, Woking, Gillingham) who inexplicably finished second top scorer in the top flight last season.

When Regan fucking Charles-Cook is dominating your league, it's time to dissolve it and start over again. 

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

While I agree about the overall standard, the issue is that Scottish football repeatedly lets absolute dogshit players from England come in and dominate the league. That's why managers persist on using the overpaid English lower league market.

Take Ayo Obileye who was going nowhere as a National League jobber, before signing for Queen of the South and now playing in the top flight with Livingston. Or Regan Charles-Cook (Solihull, Woking, Gillingham) who inexplicably finished second top scorer in the top flight last season.

When Regan fucking Charles-Cook is dominating your league, it's time to dissolve it and start over again. 

This is true. I know it is a small sample size but Sligo had 10 Irish players staring compared to Motherwell 6 Scottish. Why don't Scottish clubs persist with playing more youth, they can't be any worse than the likes of Mugabi? On average we have more money than the average Irish side and hopefully a better youth setup so we could have 8-9 Scots that a large portion come through the youth sides then top them up with 1-2  actual quality from elsewhere and not 4-5 jobbers?

13 hours ago, Lex said:

I’m surprised at the seeming surprise around this result. It was just two years ago Motherwell were taken to penalties by Coleraine, and the League of Ireland is certainly a step up from Northern Ireland.
These games between non old firm Scottish teams and Irish/Northern Irish/Welsh clubs are always pretty close, our clubs win some and lose some.
The reason for that is simply that the standard is pretty similar.

Don't the Irish representatives in the 'Challenge Cup' regularly get pumped out by the likes of Stenhousemuir and Airdrie?

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

That brought back some bad memories when we were embarrassingly humbled by FH from Iceland. TBF, Icelandic football was a lot better than what people gave it credit for, and they had actually won the league that season (summer football). Thankfully since then there has been a couple of Scottish results that dwarf that. Hearts getting fired out by a Maltese team, and Motherwell embarrassed this season definitely beat it now, thankfully. 

I've never forgotten that result!!  Icelandic club football wasn't a lot better that it was given credit for and the ultimate sickener was DAFC going ahead and the commentator pointing out that the opponents were a part-time club whose inferior fitness would probably show in the later stages of the match...cue goals in the 83rd and 90th minute.  Horrendous!!

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

This is true. I know it is a small sample size but Sligo had 10 Irish players staring compared to Motherwell 6 Scottish. Why don't Scottish clubs persist with playing more youth, they can't be any worse than the likes of Mugabi? On average we have more money than the average Irish side and hopefully a better youth setup so we could have 8-9 Scots that a large portion come through the youth sides then top them up with 1-2  actual quality from elsewhere and not 4-5 jobbers?

It's all about arse covering.  If they get relegated they'll say it was unlucky as they've used the same model as most of their competitors and surely bringing in players from a neighbouring country with a higher football pedigree is a sound strategy.

It takes bravery and a willingness to fail yet stick with the plan to make it work in the longer term.  Most managers don't get that luxury.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

Don't often agree with your views but you've got that one bang on.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Did you “cancel” your season ticket this morning?

Still not got an email back. Also apparently the changed the email from ticketing@motherwellfc.co.uk to tickets@motherwellfc.co.uk.

I still have no idea if it's even possible to cancel a season ticket with this new card system.