Motherwell: European Vacation 2022

Swello

17 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Why do Scottish teams constantly go into these ties ill prepared and with the wrong attitude? Sligo are half way through their season so are match fit but Motherwell should still be pumping teams like that, no excuses. If our teams are serious about doing ok in Europe then they simply have to drastically cut short their close season and be a bit more professional about their preparation.

It’s not as if they’ve no past examples to use as a warning.

You're right it is not an excuse for Motherwell being rank rotten tonight. Remember Celtic v Bodo Glimt last season. The general opinion was that since Bodo hadn't played a competitive match for months (they were in their winter break) it would be a big advantage for Celtic. It didn't turn out that way as those fantastic Celts were gubbed home and away. 

43 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Bodo lost to Linfield the other night so either they’ve gotten a lot worse or Linfield are superb.

They're struggling in the Norwegian league and scraped past some Faroese mob in the previous qualifying round - it's most definitely the former.

Given how shite the non-OF are in Europe, we should just have a raffle to decide who represents Scotland. Couldn't be much worse than watching a succession of no-names pumping our third/fourth/fifth ranked teams. You could at least shrug off (say) Montrose's defeat to Sligo with indifference.

6 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Given how shite the non-OF are in Europe, we should just have a raffle to decide who represents Scotland. Couldn't be much worse than watching a succession of no-names pumping our third/fourth/fifth ranked teams. You could at least shrug off (say) Montrose's defeat to Sligo with indifference.

Not a bad idea this. As you say the rest can't be any worse.

22 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Yeah I'd agree with this. Alloa pumped Bala Town away a few seasons back so we're in credit and deserve another shot at it. 

10 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Shades of bohemians that result. 

"I mentioned Bohemians, but I think I got away with it..."

See the source image

That result almost makes the League Cup groups quite appealing.

Ach, you've still got the second leg.

Poor result, and you can't completely excuse it.

But you also can't overlook the fact that it's difficult to play 'cold' against teams who are up to full match fitness.

Motherwell should be better than Sligo, but the gulf isn't going to be absolutely fucking huge. Match fitness makes up some of the gulf. It's an awkward time for Scottish teams to have to play big games, but I'm not sure there's a solution.

It's churlish to ignore the issues of not having played competitively and playing one of your biggest games of the season about six weeks before the end of the transfer window. Not sure what can be done about it.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Poor result, and you can't completely excuse it.

But you also can't overlook the fact that it's difficult to play 'cold' against teams who are up to full match fitness.

Motherwell should be better than Sligo, but the gulf isn't going to be absolutely fucking huge. Match fitness makes up some of the gulf. It's an awkward time for Scottish teams to have to play big games, but I'm not sure there's a solution.

It's churlish to ignore the issues of not having played competitively and playing one of your biggest games of the season about six weeks before the end of the transfer window. Not sure what can be done about it.

^^^Hoping-Motherwell-fans-remember-this-when-Hearts-get-horsed-out-of-Europe type post

43 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

^^^Hoping-Motherwell-fans-remember-this-when-Hearts-get-horsed-out-of-Europe type post

Actually it was a fairly accurate and considered response. Unlike most on this thread.

Motherwell did not play well despite all the possession. The goal we lost was criminal but not entirely surprising as Mugabi has that in his locker. 

Sligo are not a better team than Motherwell. Even I could see that last night. But they are a Full time professional team 25 competitive matches in compared to our none. It showed big time. They were fitter and quicker on the ball. 

Still only half time and the expectation and onus has switched from Motherwell to Sligo. They are 1-0 up and at Home next week. We can still f**k it up but I would still say we have a 40% chance of progression. Probably more than we deserve after last night. 

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Alexander is a fraud of a manager and has assembled a dreadful squad so I don't consider this hugely surprising. They could still dig it out in the second leg though.

First bit correct, second part not so much.

Theres some decent players in that team (I watch them every week) but we are completely hamstrung by, as you say, a fraud of a manager.