Motherwell: European Vacation 2022

Swello

1 hour ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Do you expect to sell this game out ? or could I get a ticket on the day ?

I doubt it would sell out. Be interesting to see how many Sparta Prague would bring to Fir Park. 

Also depends if home game is 1st or not. We get pumped a few goals away would do doubt affect the home attendance.

Alright guys, I'm looking to take my first trip to Fir Park on Thursday.
Usually do a little writing about each club too (right down to the bottom of the pyramid in the old juniors) so currently doing as much reading as I can on Motherwell.

Couple questions;
The best place to sit for a combination of view/atmosphere?
Somewhere quick for scran before the game?
Any good photo opportunities around the ground (Murals, statues, old infrastructure etc)?

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, GroundhopScot said:

Alright guys, I'm looking to take my first trip to Fir Park on Thursday.
Usually do a little writing about each club too (right down to the bottom of the pyramid in the old juniors) so currently doing as much reading as I can on Motherwell.

Couple questions;
The best place to sit for a combination of view/atmosphere?
Somewhere quick for scran before the game?
Any good photo opportunities around the ground (Murals, statues, old infrastructure etc)?

Best of luck!

The Hunter/East Stand is the noisiest - view from the middle is good - singing bit at the South end. Main/O'Donnell stand is exclusively for people with tartan travelling rugs and people who write letters to the manager about corners (view is great though).  Cooper Stand is the family oriented stand, so the level of swearing is merely horrific. McLean Stand is the normal away end but the view from the back of it is good if you have a particular interest in seeing Bellshill.

food wise -there is a chippy on Windmill St or (weirdly) a branch of data-thieving downmarket Canadian coffee chain Tim Horton's right next to the ground (other fast food options are available but I'd just get a pie)

The O'Donnell stand is a design classic - or the missing south section of it is at least - that would the best photo opportunity IMO.

Yeah, we are not going to sell out against Sligo. You could even get a ticket for the Sligo end if you wanted.

I'd also suggest contacting the club to see if there is anything they can do about photo ops etc. They are usually pretty accommodation to toutubers, bloggers etc who want to get pre-post match pictures or even possible interviews.

Might be a little too late to arrange that though.

Now that it's game day, I'm up for it - even though we had 3 rounds of european football just 2 years ago, it didn't feel real as it was one-off closed door games, so it feels like a while since we've had a proper european game at Fir Park.

I don't miss football at all during the close season and the opening day of the league is the one I really look forward to but tonight is a proper game rather than league cup groups (and the chance to shout abuse at a foreign linesman is a rare treat). I'd take a win of any description tonight as I'm sure it's not going to be some kind of 3-0 stroll - my biggest worry is that the crowd lose the plot if we're not winning comfortably by half time.

I reckon 1-0 or 2-1 for us are the most likely scores and I'd be happy with either.

I would expect there to be a reasonable gulf between the teams. Akin to us playing lower championship team or even League One. On any normal day you would expect to win by two or three goals but we are nowhere near match fit and Sligo are. We could be missing our talismanic striker who I think Sligo would struggle to cope with. 

So I expect it to be closer than it should be were we mid season rather than Sligo.  As long as we take a lead over to Sligo I would be comfortable we would have enough to get thru to the next round.