Jack Ross's Blazers and Shorts Tour - The Dundee United 2022-23 Europa Conference League Thread

Ray Patterson

Well, we've qualified for Europe - what a time to be alive.

If we finish 5th we'll be in Qualifying Round 2 of the Europa Conference League. If we finish Now that we've finished 4th, we start a round later in QR3 but will almost certainly be unseeded.

The dates for QR3 are 4th and 11th August, with the draw in mid-July. The final will take place in Prague on the 7th June 2023.

In terms of prize money, it's €100,000 per round that United play in Qualifying, plus a fee when eliminated, which is €550,000 in QR3 and €750,000 in the Playoff Round.

This sheet on Old Bert's forum has our possible opponents based on current league tables and previous rounds seeding: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zpt5J7mz3t-53slOYtKzijZrZYCF39aHWd7MvZu-t1U/edit?usp=sharing

Some decent sides in there!

Edited by Ray Patterson

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ray Patterson changed the title to Jack Ross's Blazers and Shorts Tour - The Dundee United 2022-23 Europa Conference League Thread
Looking like Antwerp, AZ, PAOK or Basel are your choice of seeds.

PAOK was a mistake by UEFA. They're in a different group.
It's Basel, AZ, Antwerp or CSKA-Sofia now.

Or to give the full list:

Basel (SUI) / Crusaders (NIR)
Tuzla City (BIH) / AZ (NED)
Royal Antwerp (BEL) / Drita (KOS)
CSKA-Sofia (BUL) / Makedonija (MKD)

Out of the four favourites to go through CSKA are comfortably the worst.

Hopefully one of the underdogs can perform a miracle in the round before and we have a chance at an easier draw.

If not, from that lot CSKA wouldn't exactly be a forgone conclusion IMO. They scraped into the group last year winning on pens vs a Latvian mob.

(hopium level strong)

From a logistics/fun point of view AZ is the dream. 30 min train from Amsterdam.

I think the group is definitely on the hard side compared to what it could have been but they are all a level below the Old Firm.

I don't know what Basel are like these but I remember (a very good) Hearts turning them over since their CL heyday which was about 20 years ago now.

Edited by invergowrie arab

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

From a logistics/fun point of view AZ is the dream. 30 min train from Amsterdam.

I think the group is definitely on the hard side compared to what it could have been but they are all a level below the Old Firm.

I don't know what Basel are like these but I remember (a very good) Hearts turning them over since their CL heyday which was about 20 years ago now.

Antwerp is a 55 minute train from Schiphol as well, which is handy.

I'll definitely try to go to the game at Tannadice.

Alkmaar itself isn't big but worth a visit, some good pubs there. For some pre-match pints I'd suggest to get to Alkmaar a bit early as it's a hell of a lot cheaper than central Amsterdam.

Just now, betting competition said:

Wouldn't presume its Alkmaar that  will get through. They got knocked out by a Norwegian team last season in the conference league play-offs.  Not the best draw you could have got but good luck. 

True, these tips are for if they win. But they are firm favourites imo.