Jack Ross's Blazers and Shorts Tour - The Dundee United 2022-23 Europa Conference League Thread

Ray Patterson

1 hour ago, The Master said:

It falls well below the standards expected of a live game on a mainstream channel. 

• A frame grate below 50fps (looks like 30fps)
  • Lack of pitchside microphones to capture full audio from the stadium 
  • Limited camera angles, including no cameras on the 18-yard lines
  • Commentary clearly off-tube from Glasgow (fine for overseas games; not games played in this country)

Apart from that. 

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Alkmaar have really dropped in standard over the past few year

Get this shite so far to f**k. As a nation, we really need to stop this whole attitude where if we do well it's because the others were shite.  

And I'm one of the worst for it. Thought we would get pumped before a ball was kicked.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

Get this shite so far to f**k. As a nation, we really need to stop this whole attitude where if we do well it's because the others were shite.  

And I'm one of the worst for it.

Quite right Albert!

9 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Typical Scottish football fans. Cannot just b happy for a very good United performance 🤷‍♂️.

Did I mention we were shite over the two legs against an average side 😉.

I'm very happy for Utd. Doesn't mean we can't be very embarrassed by Motherwell getting knocked out of Europe by a team that their kids team beat a couple year ago.

At least it wasn't Connah's Quay Nomads...

6 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

And I'm one of the worst for it. Thought we would get pumped before a ball was kicked.

Indeed. 

I was certain it would be an absolute horsing tonight. Sure, AZ were well below par but thats because we pressed and played exceptionally well.

They will beat us at home, and probably convincingly, but we beat a very decent team and didn't really look out of our depth at any point.

I say again, they'll pump us but at least we've given them the fear for a week.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Indeed. 

I was certain it would be an absolute horsing tonight. Sure, AZ were well below par but thats because we pressed and played exceptionally well.

They will beat us at home, and probably convincingly, but we beat a very decent team and didn't really look out of our depth at any point.

I've a sneaky suspicion it could go to penalties. What's our record like in those?

4 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Indeed. 

I’d be very grateful if you’d stick your negativity up your arse.

Great match. 

Freeman really shouldn't play LB, can't fault him for effort but their right side skinned him most times. Sheep didn't look comfortable at all. 

Middleton was decent but the foul he got carded for was never a free kick. Was right behind it and the laddy was slipping before he touched him but from the refs view it would have looked a foul. 

Excellent goal and the whole team done great, even Harkes had a decent game. 

McGrath and Sibbald will win games for us. 

Levitt was just classy although he looked a lot less than match fit. 

32 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

They were shite though? Doesn't take anything away from your performance. Deserved and impressive win. If Alkmaar are on form, most Scottish sides shouldn't have a chance other than the OF. You took advantage of that and looked like a much superior team to them and it wasn't really close!

Excellent goal to win the match against good opposition to set up a great trip for anyone going over for the second leg.

And nice to see Tannadice full and buzzing.  

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Levitt was just classy although he looked a lot less than match fit. 

Considering he had a few injuries last season, I feared the worst when he picked up the knock late in the 1st half that had him limping for the last few mins before half time.

Very encouraging that he not only shrugged it off but also lasted the full match.

I also thought Freeman wasn't nearly as bad as people were saying earlier. He was out of position and the pace AZ had down the right meant he had to rein his tendency to join in attacks. He got caught out a couple of times but still made some very important interventions. If our new left back isn't available for the next leg then I'd play Freeman there again as McMann has been gradually getting poorer after a great start at the club.

Freeman's very unfortunate that Smith has been really solid since he came back from injury last season and limited his gametime.

Edited by captainkev
My phone's spell-checker has lost the plot.