Jack Ross's Blazers and Shorts Tour - The Dundee United 2022-23 Europa Conference League Thread

Ray Patterson

I remember Vitesse Arnhem pumping us around 91ish and realising we probably weren't a huge team anymore.
Good to get to turn the tide again on Dutch soil.
God, that was a horrible game. From what I remember we were lucky it was only 4-0

My abiding memory of the Vitesse game at Tannadice is the utterly bizarre celebration after one of their goals (turns out from watching the video it was the second).

I still don't know how to describe it, but it's at about 3.20 for anyone who wants to avoid the rest of the horror.

On 18/07/2022 at 15:38, GallowayBlue said:

Would obviously think AZ are the favourites and might win handsomely, but did Aberdeen not beat Groningen a few years ago?

We have recent experience of winning in the Netherlands (2-1 against Groningen) and Bosnia Herzegovina (2-0 against Siroki Brijeg) after drawing the home tie in the first leg.

Groningen were similar to AZ in that they qualified after winning that Euro play-off thing the Dutch do at the end of their season.  We had to ride our luck over there a wee bit, and there were some interesting scenes off the park in both legs - but it was ultimately a cracking night to set up a trip to San Sebastian a week later.

AZ just have that bit better overall pedigree than Groningen though, and the fact you go straight in at Q3 rather than get up to speed with a more winnable earlier tie could be the biggest hurdle, other than the sheer quality of the opponents of course.

Still, these occasions (in my opinion) are what it's all about...........  

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

We have recent experience of winning in the Netherlands (2-1 against Groningen) and Bosnia Herzegovina (2-0 against Siroki Brijeg) after drawing the home tie in the first leg.

Groningen were similar to AZ in that they qualified after winning that Euro play-off thing the Dutch do at the end of their season.  We had to ride our luck over there a wee bit, and there were some interesting scenes off the park in both legs - but it was ultimately a cracking night to set up a trip to San Sebastian a week later.

AZ just have that bit better overall pedigree than Groningen though, and the fact you go straight in at Q3 rather than get up to speed with a more winnable earlier tie could be the biggest hurdle, other than the sheer quality of the opponents of course.

Still, these occasions (in my opinion) are what it's all about...........  

All fair enough, but the more pertinent issue is perhaps that that was a decent Aberdeen side (relatively), whereas this United team ain't all that.

When we managed to get a draw in Athens in 2010, that was with the cup winning team still largely intact.

Right now we're still struggling to bring in new players. I expect nothing more than a good trip to Amsterdam and hope for nothing more then keeping the score line competitive enough in the first leg so that the away one isn't basically a dead rubber.

3 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Never mind a this doom and gloom, whats everyones travel plans? Im wed-fri based in Amsterdam

I think that's pretty standard. I know some folk are heading straight to Alkmaar, but that's just daft!

Staying close to Central Station myself and if the sun is shining I'll be spending an afternoon at the beach over at NDSM.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

AZ won their first leg 1-0 tonight

Watched the game, tbh I wasn't impressed with them at all.

The Bosnians weren't great, but were well drilled and caused AZ problems. 

Famous last words but it has made me feel slightly more confident than I was on Monday.

AZ looked like they were playing in a pre-season friendly and given their league campaign doesn’t start until after the first leg versus us, that shouldn’t be a surprise.

They’ll still pump us.

On 18/07/2022 at 18:51, Mark Connolly said:

My abiding memory of the Vitesse game at Tannadice is the utterly bizarre celebration after one of their goals (turns out from watching the video it was the second).

I still don't know how to describe it, but it's at about 3.20 for anyone who wants to avoid the rest of the horror.

Watched it in Arab archive that game was a nightmare but also some great memories fae the Ither euro ties ☺️

On 21/07/2022 at 22:03, Mark Connolly said:

AZ won their first leg 1-0 tonight

The tie is not over, not by a long shot.  In fact i think there is an upset on the cards.

If AZ lose a lot of Utd fans will lose money as they already booked for Amsterdam.

On 18/07/2022 at 15:58, invergowrie arab said:

I remember Vitesse Arnhem pumping us around 91ish and realising we probably weren't a huge team anymore.

Good to get to turn the tide again on Dutch soil.

That tie must have been a bridge too far for United...