Summer '22 Transfer Thread

On 14/05/2022 at 11:18, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Dumbarton sign former player David Wilson. I always thought he was fairly decent in his first spell with us but I’ve no idea how he’s done since then. Nothing spectacular but looks like he’ll be a solid enough option at this level. How did he do for Rovers?

Nobody even knew he had left. 

Dumbarton sign former player David Wilson. I always thought he was fairly decent in his first spell with us but I’ve no idea how he’s done since then. Nothing spectacular but looks like he’ll be a solid enough option at this level. How did he do for Rovers?

Div Wilson had a couple of seasons with us as well, he could produce the sublime, no question about it, but he also went through long long periods of being totally ineffective and something of a passenger.

IMG_6993.jpg

Nathan Flannigan has officially left the club. Can’t say this surprises me and I can’t say I’m to fussed really.

Thought the first few months of the season that he was frightening, and was going to be a cracking signing but he quickly turned into the opposite of how he started.

Someone could great a cracking player if they can get him back on his game, but I never got the impression that he was all too happy at the club last season. I do wish him well in his next step though.

Brett Long probably the pick of Dumbarton's signings so far which wouldn't be hard as the rest are distinctly average. 

I'd take Flanagan. If someone can get him rejuvenated there is a supremely talented player in there who really should be operating at a higher level. 

On 11/05/2022 at 21:52, TheVoiceofReason said:

I would agree.  My worry is that he was unable to do anything with a bunch of players that had a bit of talent but lacked confidence and were underperforming.  And he had something like 20 games to do so.  I know they're not 'his' players but the time will come when the team hits a slump and the mark of a good manager at this level is getting the team back on track 

To some extent he had a free hit because Elgin, Albion Rovers and Cowden were even worse than we were - which is some achievement - but even so there were worrying signs. 

He also recruited Akeel Francis.  Enough said about that one.

😄 oaft, I bet the goals just flooded in.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Stirling Albion now have a third sticker on their East Fife loyalty card - Danny Denholm. I believe that qualifies them for a free Ross Dunlop or Kevin Smith on their next visit.

Yeah it was mentioned on the club thread. As Stenny fans will no doubt testify from last season, it's a bit embarrassing when your club goes out and signs a squad of players all from the same club, it's maybe even slightly concerning when that club has been relegated themselves. However on this occasion, 2 of the 3 would fall into the "good signings" bracket for me, Dunsmore looked the part when he picked up fitness last season and both East Fife and Albion Rovers fans have said that Davidson is a player, it's just a pity he was injured for large parts of last season. I'll take Denholm though, I remember him being a grafter when we played Arbroath with him in the side, so although it does look like an eye roll at first glance, I'm not too concerned just yet. I do think 3 is plenty though, but suspect that there would be interest in Smith at least.

2 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Yeah it was mentioned on the club thread. As Stenny fans will no doubt testify from last season, it's a bit embarrassing when your club goes out and signs a squad of players all from the same club, it's maybe even slightly concerning when that club has been relegated themselves. However on this occasion, 2 of the 3 would fall into the "good signings" bracket for me, Dunsmore looked the part when he picked up fitness last season and both East Fife and Albion Rovers fans have said that Davidson is a player, it's just a pity he was injured for large parts of last season. I'll take Denholm though, I remember him being a grafter when we played Arbroath with him in the side, so although it does look like an eye roll at first glance, I'm not too concerned just yet. I do think 3 is plenty though, but suspect that there would be interest in Smith at least.

Aye I think all three look like fairly decent additions. We don't need a Ross Davidson type, but he's a good League One player when he's injury free. The same goes for Dunsmore, who I thought was absolutely superb a couple of years back in League One. He was a constant threat against us battering forward from full-back. Danny Denholm's maybe not as effective as he once was up there, but I'd have been perfectly happy if we signed him too for this season. He's always a player I've liked.

You and East Fife are rapidly heading towards the cycle that we seem to have with Stranraer, where we just take a handful of their players and managers every few years. It felt like Albion Rovers' signing policy about a decade or so ago was just to look at our released list and then offer everyone a deal too.

On 18/05/2022 at 13:15, Gordon EF said:

It's a real sign of our decline that we seem to have moved from being Airdrie's feeder club to Stirling Albion's feeder club.

I'm not sure that I would equate you to our feeder club, from our point of view I see  us more as a charity shop accepting other people's cast offs.

37 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

I'm not sure that I would equate you to our feeder club, from our point of view I see  us more as a charity shop accepting other people's cast offs.

To be at this level then your almost always someone's cast off. Anyway, that statement is a bit harsh but time will tell.

4 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Owen Moxon leaves Annan for Carlisle United.

Excellent player and along with Slater from Forfar has been the standout player in L2 this season (I'm excluding Kelty midfield players as they're all championship level anyway).  Thought Stirling might have splashed a bit of cash in his direction but as he's not ex east Fife I guess that was a non starter 

13 hours ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

Excellent player and along with Slater from Forfar has been the standout player in L2 this season (I'm excluding Kelty midfield players as they're all championship level anyway).  Thought Stirling might have splashed a bit of cash in his direction but as he's not ex east Fife I guess that was a non starter 

Judging by the current standard of that league, Slater and Moxon are Championship level.

On 19/05/2022 at 14:20, BB_Bino said:

To be at this level then your almost always someone's cast off. Anyway, that statement is a bit harsh but time will tell.

At this level you want to have a good tie up with better clubs who can loan you their promising youngsters 

15 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Confirmed on Forfar Facebook page Scott Shepherd & Archie Thomas are away.

Archie Thomas looked a good prospect when we had him on loan a while back but he got a serious injury iirc which curtailed his loan period.  Did he progress at all? 

We had Scott Shephard too for a (thankfully) brief spell.  Came on for his debut, one on one with the keeper, made a mess of it, branded a dud.   Fine margins etc