Wagatha Christie case

Vardy's lawyer seems a bit lacking in killer punches.

Vardy's lawyer says: "You don't have any evidence to link Mrs Vardy to the leaking of your private posts".

Rooney answers: "Yes, I believe I do".

Mr Tomlinson says belief doesn't necessarily make something true.

He illustrates his theory by saying: "You might believe Derby County will win the premiership in two years time, it doesn't mean they're going to."

Rooney says this is correct.

Her husband, Wayne, is the manager of Derby County, who have just been relegated to the third tier of English football.

Given the football theme, she really ought to respond to that with a Charlie Nic banter gif

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Millions are struggling to heat homes/eat/live & this pair of idiots are blowing £100's+ on lawyers.

Animated GIF

I don’t really get all these arguments tbh. These millions already exist and sit in their bank accounts, is it much worse that they spend them on lawyers than on anything else?

If one of them feels they have to clear their name in court (even if she’s doing a shit job of it) just because they are WAGs and rich, and we feel this isn’t worthwhile, doesn’t mean they aren’t entitled to access the courts and get justice in the same way as anyone else.

Just now, Jambomo said:

I don’t really get all these arguments tbh. These millions already exist and sit in their bank accounts, is it much worse that they spend them on lawyers than on anything else?

If one of them feels they have to clear their name in court (even if she’s doing a shit job of it) just because they are WAGs and rich, and we feel this isn’t worthwhile, doesn’t mean they aren’t entitled to access the courts and get justice in the same way as anyone else.

It takes the pish out our justice system that you have to be married to a multi millionaire to be able to get that justice though.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It takes the pish out our justice system that you have to be married to a multi millionaire to be able to get that justice though.

Agreed but that’s the main problem with the Justice system, which should be rectified.

It shouldn’t be about demanding that they don’t have access to it but demanding that we all do without the need to bankrupt yourself. 

Rooney showed a bit of savvy here, when asked where the evidence was it must have been tempting to say "In Davy Jones's locker probably", which the barrister was likely hoping for.

Rebekah Vardy's lawyer, Hugh Tomlinson QC has several times told Coleen Rooney that what she "believes" is not relevant and that she must prove her case with hard facts.

He tells her: "There isn't a shred of evidence" to show Vardy leaked her private information.

Rooney again says she "believes" Vardy did share it.

The lawyer responds: "I didn't ask you what you believe" and goes on to demand: "What's the evidence?"

After a pause, Rooney replies: "I don't know".

Rooney then rallies herself, and says: "I understand Mrs Vardy has a connection with The Sun, and the way Mrs Vardy contacted me after certain things... it added up."

I thought Rooney didn't actually claim Vardy was responsible for the leak, only it was her account which had access to the info?  Surely Rooney will have proof that she only allowed Vardy's account to view the stories that eventually got leaked to the press.

I'm in London this weekend (soon to be invaded by fucking Chelsea and fucking Liverpool fans - two of the most annoying sets of supporters on the planet). 

We thought we'd take in this case this morning as we had a couple of hours to kill. 

Unsurprisingly court number 13 was full, so we were redirected to the overspill court 20 to watch the proceedings on screen along with a number of press. 

A couple of things came across. 

Vardy's defence is so wafer thin I actually thought she was being cross-examined by the prosecutor in a slightly laid back manner. At no point did her version of events seem credible. 

Vardy is actually surprisingly eloquent and not the "daft bint" that some are painting her as. She is however, quite clearly, a nasty piece of work. 

35 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I thought Rooney didn't actually claim Vardy was responsible for the leak, only it was her account which had access to the info?  Surely Rooney will have proof that she only allowed Vardy's account to view the stories that eventually got leaked to the press.

There was a pre-trial thing in November that judged that Rooney has to prove that Vardy herself was behind the leak, whether by telling her PR agent to do it or by herself. I don't know how they do things in this, if it's balance of probabilities Vardy has no chance, if it's beyond reasonable doubt maybe she has a sliver of a chance for token damages. Don't know what would happen about costs if that happens.

Edited by welshbairn

21 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I'm in London this weekend (soon to be invaded by fucking Chelsea and fucking Liverpool fans - two of the most annoying sets of supporters on the planet). 

We thought we'd take in this case this morning as we had a couple of hours to kill. 

Unsurprisingly court number 13 was full, so we were redirected to the overspill court 20 to watch the proceedings on screen along with a number of press. 

Vardy's defence is so wafer thin I actually thought she was being cross-examined by the prosecutor in a slightly laid back manner. At no point did her version of events seem credible. 

Vardy is actually surprisingly eloquent and not the "daft bint" that some are painting her as. She is however, quite clearly, a nasty piece of work. 

How did Wayne look, was he paying attention? BTW I assume you knew she was being questioned by her own barrister? Unless I've got the times mixed up...

Edited by welshbairn

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How did Wayne look, was he paying attention? BTW I assume you knew she was being questioned by her own barrister? Unless I've got the times mixed up...

Wayne had his back to the camera. 

Stupidly, I hadn't realised that it was Vardy's barrister. As I said, the questioning came across as rather timid. She still gave the impression of someone with no credible defence. 

13 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Wayne had his back to the camera. 

Stupidly, I hadn't realised that it was Vardy's barrister. As I said, the questioning came across as rather timid. She still gave the impression of someone with no credible defence. 

Tbf to her I would have looked shaky on the 3rd day? of being on the stand. I found being a witness a couple of times for 20 minutes or so way more than enough. Her choice though.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

You’re in one of the biggest cities in the world for a holiday and have decided to sit in a court? Id give anything to never set foot in another court in my life, fair play to you.

As for this trial, Vardy absolutely was behind the leaks, team Rooney all the way. 

6 minutes ago, sugna said:

Even though she's the obvious miscreant, she's technically the plaintiff.

Which is what makes her decision to bring it to court all the more bizarre, she has spent the last few days getting absoultely rinsed by Rooney's lawyer. She must have known all the other stuff was going to be brought up.

I’ve never been in the least bit interested in the whole “celebrity” shit & will avoid at all costs, even switching channels if any of these ghouls are mentioned in a conventional news programme, at the start of this, my first thought was… who cares, then when @throbber started the thread, I thought, hope they both f**k each other over & lose a fortune in the process.

Now, I am completely team Rooney - a sentence I never thought I’d hear, let alone say it myself - Mrs Vardy comes across as a complete vacuous attention seeker, trying to stitch up anyone & everyone for a bit of cash*& better publicity for herself. Hope she loses & has to pay costs & Vardy is ostracised by his teammates. 

*despite being married to a millionaire footballer! 

The worst thing for Vardy would be token damages but being lumped with all the costs, no idea if this is possible. Whatever happens it's bound to go to appeal until both parties get Hollywood miniseries contracts for the rights, then they'll kiss and make up.