Wagatha Christie case

4 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Is Jamie Vardy going to pop up in the witness box? Apart from getting flagged offside I'd like to hear his testimony as to how and by whom his phone was hacked, how all his WhatsApp messages were deleted and how he got it fixed.

I'm surprised Wayne is allowed to sit in if he's a witness.

I was also wondering if Vardy thought by taking it this far that Rooney might have chosen to settle out of court for a nominal sum...ala Prince Andrew, without conceding guilt.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Only way out for Vardy's lawyer is if they've got Rooney's WhatsApp messages as well, saying stuff like I'm going to trap that bitch to the other wags.

How does that help - the case is based on Rooney posting that she set Vardy up. Vardy's defence is that she was personally unaware of the leaks.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was also wondering if Vardy thought by taking it this far that Rooney might have chosen to settle out of court for a nominal sum...ala Prince Andrew, without conceding guilt.

Again Rooney is open about posting the accusation, the case hinges on whether Vardy's claim that it was her agent, Caroline Watt, who leaked the stories without Vardy's knowledge is believed.

Is it a jury trial - a judge might be willing to accept that Rooney can't prove her case and find in favour of Vardy but a jury is unlikely to side with Vardy.

Edited by btb

1 minute ago, btb said:

How does that help - the case is based on Rooney posting that she set Vardy up. Vardy's defence is that she was unaware

Again Rooney is open about posting the accusation, the case hinges on whether Vardy's claim that it was her agent, Caroline Watt, who leaked the stories without Vardy's knowledge is believed.

Is it a jury trial - a judge might be willing to accept that Rooney can't prove her case and find in favour of Vardy but a jury is unlikely to side with Vardy.

I think it's a Judge. But isn't it Vardy who has to prove her case?

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm surprised Wayne is allowed to sit in if he's a witness.

They had a preliminary trial to decide whether it had to be Vardy that leaked it to the Sun or if her agent would do, and it was decided it had to be Vardy. Obviously if Vardy told her agent to leak it, it amounts to the same thing. There was then a delay to allow time for a settlement between the two, which I imagine was stopped by responsible adults overseeing a mud wrestling contest on a channel I don't subscribe to.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The tabloids tell me that it's for Rooney to prove that Vardy leaked the story. 

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I thought it was Vardy proving she was defamed by Rooney accusing her of the leak.

Apparently with English libel law, it's up to the accused to prove they're innocent rather than the other way around. It explains the number of global cases that end up in London and the stratospheric amounts the lawyers charge. Of course you've a good case Rebekah!

So Rooney has to prove that Vardy was responsible for the leak, rather than Vardy having to prove that she wasn't.

Edited by welshbairn

37 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Yeah but I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier in the thread that an earlier ruling means Rooney has to show it was Vardy herself who leaked the stories.

The first stage of the libel action began, as Mr Justice Warby set the parameters for the case. In what The Guardian called “a victory for Vardy”, the judge largely agreed that an “ordinary reader” would see Rooney’s post as an allegation that Vardy personally had “frequently abused her status as a trusted follower of Ms Rooney’s personal Instagram account”.

Rooney's legal team accept they can't prove it was "Vardy personally" who leaked the stories so like I say it might be that a judge will find in Vardy's favour while I reckon a jury would certainly not after the last few days evidence.

Rooney’s legal team have admitted they do not have a smoking gun proving Vardy, the wife of Leicester City player Jamie Vardy, leaked stories about Rooney to the Sun.

However, Sherborne told the court the circumstantial evidence was overwhelming: “If it looks like a leak, it sounds like a leak, and you even used the word ‘leak’, it is more likely than not to be a leak.”

Edited by btb

1 minute ago, btb said:

Yeah but I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier in the thread that an earlier ruling means Rooney has to prove it was Vardy herself who leaked the stories.

Rooney's legal team accept they can't prove it was "Vardy personally" who leaked the stories so like I say it might be that a judge will find in Vardy's favour while I reckon a jury would certainly not after the last few days evidence.

Aye, I think it's sinking in a bit now.

1 minute ago, Empty It said:

The spelling Rebekah is really annoying me aswell for some reason.

That's why everyone just uses Vardy. James must get pissed off when he googles his name.

30 minutes ago, btb said:

Yeah but I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier in the thread that an earlier ruling means Rooney has to show it was Vardy herself who leaked the stories.

I wonder if the fact that Vardy seems to have been instructing the agent to leak it will matter, she’s still be ultimately responsible for the knowledge becoming public.

52 minutes ago, Empty It said:

The only two "Rebekahs" I've seen in the news to such as extent are Vardy and Brooks from when the newspapers were getting flamed for dodgy conduct a while back. 

Both utter cuntresses.

44 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

The only two "Rebekahs" I've seen in the news to such as extent are Vardy and Brooks from when the newspapers were getting flamed for dodgy conduct a while back. 

Both utter cuntresses.

I'm fairly sure that there was a couple of page 3 Rebekahs as well 👀

10 hours ago, Empty It said:

Parents who name their kids with those kinds of spellings are setting themselves up to produce entitled gobshites.

I think the idea is that they want to show how unique their (as yet unformed) offspring is, but it's more likely done to highlight how special the parents must be to have produced something that requires a stand-out title.