Stranraer 2022-23

I was looking at coming along to Stair Park on Saturday to tick off the ground but it looks like the trains after the game back to glasgow have been cancelled and the 923 bus is fully booked.

Assuming there’s no other way to get here via public transport?

Bit rubbish as I was looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

I was looking at coming along to Stair Park on Saturday to tick off the ground but it looks like the trains after the game back to glasgow have been cancelled and the 923 bus is fully booked.

Assuming there’s no other way to get here via public transport?

Bit rubbish as I was looking forward to it.

There is the service bus to Ayr but doesn’t leave until 1938. 
Probably one of the most unpleasant journeys known to man. 
Stops everywhere, seats are uncomfortable and Saturday night attracts drunk farmers.
Also takes an age. 

On the plus side you’ll have just witnessed a goal fest. Fancy Dundee to score ten. 

40 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

There is the service bus to Ayr but doesn’t leave until 1938. 
Probably one of the most unpleasant journeys known to man. 
Stops everywhere, seats are uncomfortable and Saturday night attracts drunk farmers.
Also takes an age. 

On the plus side you’ll have just witnessed a goal fest. Fancy Dundee to score ten. 

Probably not the best as I’m due to head back to Edinburgh once I get into Glasgow.

Bit of a shiter, looking like Stair Park will need to wait until Scotrail sort their shit out.

I know its early doors and I'm not at the pant-pishing stage yet, but I'm definitely concerned about the new season, no matter what positive spin I try to put on it.

I've not felt like this since we got relegated in April 2009 after finally getting Gerry Britton out of the club. Knoxy came in, made some inspired signings, we stabilised then kicked on.

We're signing guys now from Blantyre, Spennymoor and Cumbernauld Colts. Back then it was Craig Malcolm and two youths on loan from Celtic who went on to play in the Scottish Premier League and became full internationals.

I'm hoping Albion Rovers are shite and that will be enough to keep us up, but from what I've heard it's been pretty poor so far, albeit against stronger opposition than we'll face each week in League Two. I'll see us in Forfar on Tuesday so that will probably be a better indicator of where we're at.

Nevertheless it definitely feels to me like it will be a season of looking over our shoulder instead of looking ahead.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong on that front though. 

#MonBlu

I guess it’s not realistic for a variety of reasons, but given Forfar passed him up, is it worth a call to Griffiths? Could even take donations towards his salary I’m sure.

Totally agree with the above. The worst case scenario I’m imagining is relegated to the Lowland League, club vote in favour of keeping B Teams in that league then I need to find a new team to support.

Hopefully things don’t play out like that.

Similar concerns to the above posts z’s 

Im worried about what Hamill, Duffy and Robertson have to offer. 
Between the three of them they still can’t build a squad.
We have one signed forward who’d rather sit on the bench and watch a man who’s spent half his career in defence play up front? 
This may be acceptable when chasing a game with ten minutes to go ( fond memories of Striker Wright ) or when the team are plagued with injuries but, not at this stage. 
surely the squad should be about ready to go before the first competitive game? 

I recall watching us in a friendly against Ayr United and seeing light weight, young boys trying to play some nice football but, not the kind of stuff that gets you anywhere in this league.
The manager maybe has an ethos or a certain idea of how football should be played but maybe needs to stop his ego getting in the way and accept that it’s not pretty where we are.
Was given the benefit of the doubt last season as it was his first and he came in late in the close season. 
Signings so far and league cup results don’t seem to illustrate he’s learned much.  

9 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Similar concerns to the above posts z’s 

Im worried about what Hamill, Duffy and Robertson have to offer. 
Between the three of them they still can’t build a squad.
We have one signed forward who’d rather sit on the bench and watch a man who’s spent half his career in defence play up front? 
This may be acceptable when chasing a game with ten minutes to go ( fond memories of Striker Wright ) or when the team are plagued with injuries but, not at this stage. 
surely the squad should be about ready to go before the first competitive game? 

I recall watching us in a friendly against Ayr United and seeing light weight, young boys trying to play some nice football but, not the kind of stuff that gets you anywhere in this league.
The manager maybe has an ethos or a certain idea of how football should be played but maybe needs to stop his ego getting in the way and accept that it’s not pretty where we are.
Was given the benefit of the doubt last season as it was his first and he came in late in the close season. 
Signings so far and league cup results don’t seem to illustrate he’s learned much.  

I think a lot of that is fair.

Personally, at the start of last season, I thought it would be a transitional season. Hamill was in his first year in charge, he came into the job late and he did not get a full pre-season. I think that meant a number of signings that probably would not have been made if there had been an appropriate period of time for the new management to scrutinise everything. Throw in the Covid situation as well.

That said, I was hoping that as the season progressed we would show signs of heading in the right direction. To an extent that happened and we brought in Hilton but we never really looked like a team who were going to find form and step it up gear. So, attention turned to this season. We lost, arguably, four important players - Burns, Sonkur, Yates and Muir. The issue up front was there last season and losing Yates and Muir has certainly not helped that. I don't know the ins and outs but I imagine strikers have been targeted and we have missed out on them, whether that is through money or geography, who knows? Equally, to be three games into the season and not have one striker (minus Duffy, who very much seems to be assistant manager first and player second) is poor. I'm not suggesting we should have rushed into signing a striker but we have had weeks/months to get it all ready. I'm sure the management are working hard to address the problem but it is frustrating for the fans.

I thought at times last season we had too many nice footballers and not enough players who could stand up when things got tough. Have we addressed that? Similarly, our solution to the defensive issues of last season seems to be to add inexperience in Girvan and a former WoSFL player in Watt. Time will tell if they are of good enough quality, which, obviously, I hope they are. There's obviously still plenty of time for the players to prove me and others wrong and there's plenty of time for new signings to be made but I don't think it is a surprise that no one is tipping us for the league title.

On 18/07/2022 at 22:43, Mattmc said:

Apologies for my lack of knowledge here, but who have you been punting up top? I was looking at your squad the other day and clocked that you were really short on natural forwards. Although there aren't a lot around at the moment.

It's something about football at the moment that I hate. The natural #9 has almost died out in favour of an endless stream of those garbage floating attacker players who aren't quite wingers, aren't quite attacking midfielders and aren't quite outright strikers.

On 23/07/2022 at 19:20, Cairn Terrier said:

Was it a bit “ towsy “?
Any word on the familiar trialist……Craig Malcolm?

Malky looked in the same shape as when he previously played with us. 
Maybe lost a yard of pace but probably worth a few goals a season. 
Better than most of our options in that position at the minute. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If we fail to get anything tomorrow The club need to seriously consider the management teams future.

1 win in 11 competitive games this season. Gave a bit of leeway last season but we don’t seem to have learned anything from then. 
The reluctance to play our better players when needed, in Robbo and Duffy is killing us. 
Who cares if they don’t want to play. You play your strongest players.  
If Robbo and Duffy don’t want to play then don’t sign them. Their contribution as coaches doesn’t seem to be having any great affect though either. 

Recruitment has been poor, this season and last. 

We’re still conceding ridiculous goals, we’re still not strong enough in the final third, we’re still out muscled by more physical teams. 

As a captain Hamill wasn’t up to much, seems even less as a manager. 
Sad when you hear the names that didn’t even get an interview when he was appointed.