Stranraer 2022-23

1 hour ago, Cairn Terrier said:

Now 5-0 to Stranraer…..any info on who was playing for us?

No exact lineups but heard from someone who was at the game that 9 of last year's regulars started, plus Kyle Girvan and a trialist keeper. Three other trialists played the second half plus Woods and someone else. Jinky and Robbo scored in the first half, couple of nice team goals second half with Walker scoring two and a half volley off the underside of the bar from one of the trialists.

2 hours ago, Moonball said:

No exact lineups but heard from someone who was at the game that 9 of last year's regulars started, plus Kyle Girvan and a trialist keeper. Three other trialists played the second half plus Woods and someone else. Jinky and Robbo scored in the first half, couple of nice team goals second half with Walker scoring two and a half volley off the underside of the bar from one of the trialists.

I was at the game the half volley off the underside of the bar was the 5th goal and a cracker.

Long time lurker here and long-distance Blues fan since the early 90's. I'll admit i'm from 'down south' and have my team down here but used to have family in D&G and made 9 or 10 visits a year, which amazingly always seemed to coincide with a game at Stair Park.😜

Heady days the 90's. Promotions, a cup win. Even saw us come from 2-down in injury time to draw with QoS in the old Div1. 

Struggle to keep up with the goings on nowadays, but i'm increasingly worried that our time as a SPFL club is running out. We seem to have stagnated as a 4th tier club, and you're only one bad year away from playing Colts teams and boys clubs like Berwick found out.

Still, hoping for a play-off challenge this year, but the league looks strong with Dumbarton, Forfar and Annan bound to be up there, and who knows if Bonnyrigg will be any good.

Anyhoo, 'mon The Blues!

Having watched both the game v Ayr and last night I thought there were some positive signs from both games.

Given there were a few trialists bedding in and some injuries causing disruption there was no gulf between Stranraer and teams from leagues above. Both Ayr and Falkirk have clearly much bigger squads allowing rotation and freshening. 

I see a decent team there and once all fit and settled things will click. There are some young players however that doesn't mean they are not capable of doing well in league 2.

All the new signings look good and I think will be better than those who were released.  However the squad still looks thin, and we need a couple of recognised strikers. If we can add two or three good players over the next couple of weeks I’m optimistic that we’ll have a better season than last.

Irvine Meadow 2 Stranraer 5

Gallagher hat trick, Walker and Hawkshaw. 

Ultimately fairly easy despite twice allowing Irvine to equalise, first from a penalty conceded after sloppy defending and the second while waiting for a clear offside inexplicably missed by the linesman. Played some lovely quick and incisive passing stuff in the second and arguably should have had a few more goals. 

Irvine Meadow 2 Stranraer 5
Gallagher hat trick, Walker and Hawkshaw. 

Ultimately fairly easy despite twice allowing Irvine to equalise, first from a penalty conceded after sloppy defending and the second while waiting for a clear offside inexplicably missed by the linesman. Played some lovely quick and incisive passing stuff in the second and arguably should have had a few more goals. 

Bit of a worry that we don't seem to have any out and out strikers, apart from Duffy.....
The rest of the squad looks fairly decent, on paper at least.
One player that I was sorry to see go was Watson, not sure what the story was there.

On 03/07/2022 at 00:54, Cairn Terrier said:

Bit of a worry that we don't seem to have any out and out strikers, apart from Duffy.....
The rest of the squad looks fairly decent, on paper at least.
One player that I was sorry to see go was Watson, not sure what the story was there.

What concerns me even more is, Duffy was quite open last season about not wanting to play. He’s there as back up.