Scottish Junior Cup Winners Medal 1901 - Burnbank

marazico

• marazico changed the title to Scottish Junior Cup Winners Medal 1901 - Burnbank

Thanks for posting those great photographs.

Burnbank Athletic defeated Maryhill, the holders, to win the Scottish Junior Cup in the 1900-01 season.  They also won the Lanarkshire Junior League championship in the same season.

Thanks to the great research of Stewart Davidson here are the details of their cup run.

In the regionalised First Round they had a 5-2 away win against Nethanvale Thistle in the Lanarkshire section.  In the 2nd and 3rd Rounds they were in the Glasgow & Lanarkshire section. They were awarded a bye in the 2nd Round and defeated Haywood Wanderers 7-0 at home in the 3rd Round. The 4th Round was drawn on a national basis and Burnbank received a home tie against Irvine Meadow XI who they defeated 6-2. In the 5th Round it was the turn of Leith Ivanhoe to visit and the result was a 5-2 victory. In the 6th Round it was another home tie and a convincing 9-0 win against Auchenheath Thistle. 

The Semi-Final was played at Shawfield on 6 April 1901 and a 5-1 win against Parkhead Athletic saw them into the Final. The Final against Maryhill was played at the Exhibition Grounds in Glasgow on 11 May.  This was the temporary ground built at Gilmorehill for the Glasgow International Exhibition in 1901.  Burnbank Athletic defeated Maryhill 2-0 in front of a crowd of 7,000 and top referee Tom Robertson officiated.

It was 0-0 at half-time but Burnbank scored through Wallace early in the second half.  Sharp scored a penalty in the 65th minute. Dan Greenhorn, along with Rogers, Scholes and Clarkson, were, by all accounts, the pick of the Burnbank players.  In the Maryhill side was Don Colman, a future Scottish international, who is credited with inventing the dug-out.  Rachel Corsie, who captains the Scottish team is his great granddaughter.  Also in the Maryhill team was Dawson Walker who I think with such a distinctive name may be the father of the Dawson Walker who was trainer to the Scotland team and briefly manager.

Burnbank Swifts had won the Cup in 1888-89 & 1889-90 and although it is difficult to be certain it appears that Burnbank Athletic emerged from that club so this was the third victory for the community beating the record of Ashfield who had won the Junior Cup twice. Charlie Greenhorn had played in the 1889-90 Final.  William “Nipper” Greenhorn played for Bellshill Athletic in 1917. Both were Junior Internationalists and may be related to Dan Greenhorn.

In the photograph Dan Greenhorn is wearing a cap and a badge on his jersey.  I think the photograph may have been taken when he represented the Lanarkshire Junior League in their annual fixture against the Irish Junior League at Solitude, Belfast on 9 November 1901. Lanarkshire drew 1-1 and there were 8 Burnbank Athletic players in the team.  He also played in a Junior Scotland trial match on 8 February 1902 at Fir Park, Motherwell, but was not selected for that season’s international matches.

I hope that this helps.

Edited by bluedragon

It was no problem and I am pleased to hear of the family link to the medal.  I can see that the photograph looks as if he is wearing a goalkeeper's jersey.  However, in all my sources he is listed as a left half.  I did check to see if there was a last-minute emergency at the match in Belfast that saw him take over in goals but there was not and he played the whole game in his usual position.