Mambo #5 vs Jambo #3 - Wednesday 11th/May

Still kind of stunned that we've taken 6/6 points over the past few days. (a) the team feels like it's held together by sellotape and (b) it's actually difficult to do that in the Top 6.

That said, that was a 2nd string Hearts team who were in end of season mode after we went ahead for the 2nd time (they were miles better than us in the first half). Hearts better hope they can switch back on for the Cup Final as that's sometimes hard to do.

I thought we were grim until KVV came on - he just seemed to lift us enough to get back on the front foot a bit. We were sitting incredibly deep for the last 20 mins which was hard to watch but I guess in the cold light of day, we saw it out comfortably enough in the circumstances.

Also 2 winners against Hearts in a Season should be enough to get Lamie into our Hall of Fame.

Just watched Ojala trying to chase back for the Hearts goal and could almost feel my hips dislocating. He must surely have early onset arthritis or something...he runs like it hurts.

Tierney has obvious attributes, but what a shift he put in tracking back to close out the game.

Slattery's ball out wide for the first goal was lovely.

Devastated that Las isn't going to be around anymore. Haste ye back lad.

I'm going to the PotY thing on Saturday.  The atmosphere is, I think, going to be vastly different from what I expected it to be like just a few weeks ago...

Now it can be more like a celebration than a funeral 😋

I fully admit to be being a results-driven fickle fan this season, but do the stats support my impression that we had actually improved our general play recently?   I thought our ability to string some passes together had picked up recently from the that long awful patch we'd been through earlier this year

2 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'm going to the PotY thing on Saturday.  The atmosphere is, I think, going to be vastly different from what I expected it to be like just a few weeks ago...

Now it can be more like a celebration than a funeral 😋

I fully admit to be being a results-driven fickle fan this season, but do the stats support my impression that we had actually improved our general play recently?   I thought our ability to string some passes together had picked up recently from the that long awful patch we'd been through earlier this year

The stats say we haven't had that bad a season full stop.  Only 4 of the last 10 seasons have we lost less games - and 1 of them was the Covid reduced season.  The other 3 at the start of the 2010's .  We just haven't won as many as most seasons because of all the draws.  

Quite enjoyed that game. Thought we played some nice stuff for periods. Can’t remember ever being less bothered by a result though. Hope Sibbick is okay.

Edited by Kyle Reese

Ross Stewart should never play for us again. If we are resting Gordon on Saturday we should be playing a youth goalie. I actually feel a bit sorry for him as it looks obvious he has no confidence and knows he doesn't belong at that level.

Actually quite enjoyed the game overall, considering it's nowhere near our best lineup I thought we played some really good stuff first half and should've went in ahead. 2nd half Motherwell wanted it a bit more which is understandable and we were more interested in getting minutes into guys that haven't played in a while. Wee bit disappointed at the lack of urgency once we went 2-1 down, but it's hard to go up that gear when the team are so disrupted.

Hope Sibbick is ok, but it didn't look good. Genuinely got a bit of the fear about who we'll play at centre half in the final. Neilson keeps talking about Souttar and Halkett, but unless they both play 90 minutes on Saturday they have no chance. Halliday also took a really sore one on his dodgy achilles when the boy got a booking and he looked like he was limping as he went off. Hopefully he's ok. Was good to see Smith and Devlin back, even if Smith was blowing out his arse after 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Ross Stewart should never play for us again. If we are resting Gordon on Saturday we should be playing a youth goalie. I actually feel a bit sorry for him as it looks obvious he has no confidence and knows he doesn't belong at that level.

Actually quite enjoyed the game overall, considering it's nowhere near our best lineup I thought we played some really good stuff first half and should've went in ahead. 2nd half Motherwell wanted it a bit more which is understandable and we were more interested in getting minutes into guys that haven't played in a while. Wee bit disappointed at the lack of urgency once we went 2-1 down, but it's hard to go up that gear when the team are so disrupted.

Hope Sibbick is ok, but it didn't look good. Genuinely got a bit of the fear about who we'll play at centre half in the final. Neilson keeps talking about Souttar and Halkett, but unless they both play 90 minutes on Saturday they have no chance. Halliday also took a really sore one on his dodgy achilles when the boy got a booking and he looked like he was limping as he went off. Hopefully he's ok. Was good to see Smith and Devlin back, even if Smith was blowing out his arse after 5 minutes.

Robbie Neilson provides update on Toby Sibbick injury after Hearts defender stretchered off in defeat by Motherwell | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com)

Promising

22 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

If Neilson says he won't be out long I'll expect him back in November.

Edited by Tony Wonder

16 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

so Jambo's .... Craig Gordon is worth what? .... 15 points a season or more?

That would put us about level with Motherwell and Dundee United, so I don't think it's quite that much. I guess if we played a genuine clown in goal all season then maybe (see 2019/20).

Decent performance up until Motherwell's 2nd, after which it was a non-event. Depending on injuries, I think only 3 of last night's XI start the final, but I was kind of hoping to see Devlin, Halkett, Souttar and Smith get more minutes than they have done. We'll need all of them.

Glad it'll be United and Motherwell in Europe. Both dece guys. Not arsed at all about the deed rubbers with changed line-ups, it was similar before we gubbed Hibs in 2012. If we win the cup against the Buns it will be fucking GLORIOUS.

20 hours ago, Elixir said:

Glad it'll be United and Motherwell in Europe. Both dece guys. Not arsed at all about the deed rubbers with changed line-ups, it was similar before we gubbed Hibs in 2012. If we win the cup against the Buns it will be fucking GLORIOUS.

Best of luck in your bun-gubbing endeavours. 

20 hours ago, Elixir said:

Called it at the start of the season - United and Motherwell were always going to be our closest rivals. I didn’t think the gap was going to be quite as big though.