The Perth Saints v The Famous Aberdeen

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think you'll shitfest to stay up.

It'll depend on our opponents performance, really.

Aberdeen dominated the ball up until our goal while we looked really nervous, but they looked like a Jim Goodwin side; lots of nice possession across the back but very little threat.

Whilst Aberdeen weren’t up to much, we played well tonight, much more positive once we scored and right up until the last 5 minutes we pushed on rather than sitting in.

Once we pushed Hallberg further forward in the first half we got far more out of him. Said a few weeks ago I preferred us playing the 2 central with one pushing up in support of the strikers instead of the flat 3 we’ve used a lot recently.

Have to say I think Butterfield and Middleton had about their best games for us.  Butterfield’s lack of mobility is a big negative for central midfield, but he’ll take the ball down and try to find a pass and is good on the ball. 
Middleton was constantly involved, made some really good decisions on the ball and provided a threat.

Far from perfect, but we played much more football on the ground and were positive in trying to win the match.  I enjoyed the performance and the support.

Interesting to see Liam Gordon kept back at corners.

Well played Saints, 2 more performances like that and hopefully we can look at staying up. 

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Was thinking this might be because of his broken nose. 

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Aye makes sense, I forgot about that. 

Only reason I could think of tbh. His nose was bleeding after he got booked, after the slightest brush when fouling.

11 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Aberdeen dominated the ball up until our goal while we looked really nervous, but they looked like a Jim Goodwin side; lots of nice possession across the back but very little threat.

Whilst Aberdeen weren’t up to much, we played well tonight, much more positive once we scored and right up until the last 5 minutes we pushed on rather than sitting in.

Once we pushed Hallberg further forward in the first half we got far more out of him. Said a few weeks ago I preferred us playing the 2 central with one pushing up in support of the strikers instead of the flat 3 we’ve used a lot recently.

Have to say I think Butterfield and Middleton had about their best games for us.  Butterfield’s lack of mobility is a big negative for central midfield, but he’ll take the ball down and try to find a pass and is good on the ball. 
Middleton was constantly involved, made some really good decisions on the ball and provided a threat.

Far from perfect, but we played much more football on the ground and were positive in trying to win the match.  I enjoyed the performance and the support.

Well played Saints, 2 more performances like that and hopefully we can look at staying up. 

If we had put in a performance like that vs St Mirren, we'd still be in with a shout of not even bring in the playoffs.

Trick now will be produce similar vs Hibs and go into the playoffs in some decent form. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

Probably helped by Aberdeen’s defending, but we actually had a threat from set pieces tonight.

A decent move early on from a corner when Hallberg should have hit the target, then in the second half Rooney had a great chance but didn’t get a decent connection. Middleton forced a good save from a free kick as well.

Rooneys booking was a great laugh but a reminder that the man has nothing up top.

Bair looks like he’s lost weight since he joined, but physical and very fast, Montgomery looked like he had little clue how to cope with him.

The referee lost control of that game though. Completely lost control of it.

Some positives in that performance, albeit against a team that didn't want to be there. Most notably maybe was Hallberg getting so close to the strikers.

Only our sixth home win against Aberdeen this century.

Edited by Radford

Agree with most of Paulo's post above. Thought once Butterfield dropped beside Davidson and Hallberg moved forward we looked much better in that area of the pitch. Hallberg being further forward along with Middleton being up there actually meant there was some mobility in the final third highlighted at the goal when Hallberg then Middleton get beyond their markers. Just that shape in the middle helps us IMO and lets Murray play his natural game. Butterfield isn't the long term answer, and I'm not convinced he looks as good as he did tonight against a more competitive side, but it was nice to have a deep lying centre midfielder getting on the ball. The cynic in me could point out it took injuries to force the change.......

Mackenzie will be having nightmares about Rooney. He can brainless sometimes but you can help wishing one or two others would take responsibility to try and make things happen the way he does.

Perth deserved their win. 

That was a painful 90 mins of watching every forward pass misplaced or miscontrolled, no supporting runners, barely any press and defending with a yakketty sax soundtrack. 

I can't even get annoyed about yet another addition to the retrospective red collection because it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. 

'Mon Arbroath. 

8 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Get this season in the fucking bin. We were absolutely shameful this evening, although, probably not our most shameful performance of the season. Goodwin has a huge job on his hands. Is he capable, I don't know. 

That's my worry.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's my worry.

On the evidence so far, I'd say no. His record in his first 11 games is actually worse than Glass' last 11 and much the same as McInnes' last 11.

Granted he has taken over a team lacking confidence but the signs aren't good. I have no great expectations for next season. In fact the thought scares the Dickens out of me. 

11 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

On the evidence so far, I'd say no. His record in his first 11 games is actually worse than Glass' last 11 and much the same as McInnes' last 11.

Granted he has taken over a team lacking confidence but the signs aren't good. I have no great expectations for next season. In fact the thought scares the Dickens out of me. 

Hard times ahead