QP v Airdrie /Airdrie V QP Play off FINAL

Congratulations to Queen’s Park.

Over the 2 games created far more than us. Simon Murray a class act and the Queens Bench was far stronger than ours.

Hard one to take for us with the points gap and missing out on promotion to a team that we’ve played 8 times and not lost in 90 minutes to. 

Them’s the breaks.

Need to dust ourselves down and fight for top 4 v Dunfermline, Falkirk, QotS, Kelty, Alloa, Montrose and anyone else who makes a run of it next year.

10 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Congratulations to Queen’s Park.

Over the 2 games created far more than us. Simon Murray a class act and the Queens Bench was far stronger than ours.

Hard one to take for us with the points gap and missing out on promotion to a team that we’ve played 8 times and not lost in 90 minutes to. 

Them’s the breaks.

Need to dust ourselves down and fight for top 4 v Dunfermline, Falkirk, QotS, Kelty, Alloa, Montrose and anyone else who makes a run of it next year.

Never been a fan of the SPFL management team and their obsession with the Big Six, although even that is variable these days. Have to say though, slowly but surely the pyramid system is creating stronger leagues at all levels and those who stand still are losing out. Harsh on some of the old favourites but equally clubs below the senior leagues need the chance to improve.  Sadly, it’s all about money but that’s the case in countries all over Europe. Better opportunities for players and coaches these days also.

Still to be measured if the whole thing is sustainable though. Prize money is laughable in Scotland and certainly doesn’t compensate some of the investments. And as long as we are in the shadow of the English leagues it won’t improve much.

On 16/05/2022 at 06:36, Only one David Marsh said:

How many glasses of Pimms did you have?!?

I had around 5 bottles actually, plus a few cheeky pints of Venom. I was also forced to drink MD 20/20 in the car park before the game with a right bunch of oiks. Those scoundrels must have spiked my drink as I woke up naked yesterday morning slumped at a bus stop outside the Burnside Hotel. 

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Never been a fan of the SPFL management team and their obsession with the Big Six, although even that is variable these days. Have to say though, slowly but surely the pyramid system is creating stronger leagues at all levels and those who stand still are losing out. Harsh on some of the old favourites but equally clubs below the senior leagues need the chance to improve.  Sadly, it’s all about money but that’s the case in countries all over Europe. Better opportunities for players and coaches these days also.

Still to be measured if the whole thing is sustainable though. Prize money is laughable in Scotland and certainly doesn’t compensate some of the investments. And as long as we are in the shadow of the English leagues it won’t improve much.

The pyramid system is improving the quality of leagues and is better financially for players (in the short term at least) with them getting higher wages. Clubs like Airdrie are probably the ones most affected by it but overall I still think it's important for the leagues. The old system where clubs could finish bottom of League 2 with no consequences was a joke, and there is now added incentive for clubs to improve. I'd actually like more 'free movement' with 2 up and 2 down (not just because of what happened to us this season...) as I think this would allow teams to reach their right level quicker and stop bottlenecks forming in some leagues. Obviously it's fairer too.

But I'm still unsure of the longer term consequences of it with the 'new money' clubs working their way up the leagues. There's a fair chance that next year if Kelty were to get promoted the Championship will have 4 teams in it who average less than 1000 fans in QP, Cove, Kelty and Arbroath, plus Ayr, Morton, Hamilton barely getting over that most weeks. This is not at all a 'crowd w*nk' point as we'd be in those categories too if we got up, it's just an observation which I think raises questions. Longer term how are sponsors going to view this? How are other clubs (like ones worrying about Premiership relegation) going to view it with small away supports every week? And the question of if this is sustainable for these teams year on year to fund themselves with small attendances for the level they are playing it. Once you hit the bottleneck of the Championship are these clubs going to continue to fund good full-time squads for no glory in return? I'm not convinced.

It's definitely an interesting time as we're only now seeing the impact of the pyramid system on the higher leagues and I'm sure it will continue with the likes of Darvel coming up soon. It will certainly change the landscape somewhat and will be interesting to see how it plays out.

34 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Good interview with McCabe.

McCabe’s a class act. Always comes across really well in interviews and from the moment he arrived he’s been very audibly heard communicating really well with his teammates on the pitch. Of our current squad he’s the one I’m most desperate for us to keep.

47 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The pyramid system is improving the quality of leagues and is better financially for players (in the short term at least) with them getting higher wages. Clubs like Airdrie are probably the ones most affected by it but overall I still think it's important for the leagues. The old system where clubs could finish bottom of League 2 with no consequences was a joke, and there is now added incentive for clubs to improve. I'd actually like more 'free movement' with 2 up and 2 down (not just because of what happened to us this season...) as I think this would allow teams to reach their right level quicker and stop bottlenecks forming in some leagues. Obviously it's fairer too.

But I'm still unsure of the longer term consequences of it with the 'new money' clubs working their way up the leagues. There's a fair chance that next year if Kelty were to get promoted the Championship will have 4 teams in it who average less than 1000 fans in QP, Cove, Kelty and Arbroath, plus Ayr, Morton, Hamilton barely getting over that most weeks. 

Arbroath's average attendance this season has been 1708

Kelty's average in league 2 has been 716 so likely to be comfortably over 1000 if they make it to the championship

QP averaged 667 this season playing on the "wrong " side of Glasgow. When we eventually return to the South Side, I would be disappointed if we are not averaging well over 1,000.

Ayr averaged over 2,000 this season.

Airdrie averaged 792

what is your point exactly?

2 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

what is your point exactly?

I believe his point was that one of the knock on effect of the pyramid is going to be much smaller crowds than previously in the championship in the not too distant future? I thought it was very apparent? No?

• 6 months later...