QP v Airdrie /Airdrie V QP Play off FINAL

It was a decent game for a neutral. Easily better than Arbroath/ICT. As the match wore on QP had a grip on things and a fine goal.  From any bits and pieces of Airdrie I have seen on TV and the SPFL YT channel they have to get Afolabi on the pitch earlier.

Edited by rainbowrising

Loving Airdrie fans thinking there team is like 2011 Barcelona and that if they play well then QP have no chance. Both teams were absolute gubbins and without big changes would both finish 10th in the Championship.

4 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Always find it humorous when fans say “we didn’t play well” when it was their opponents that didn’t let them play well. QP ran Airdrie into the ground and passed them off the park. The only reason the tie is alive for the Diamonds is our continued inability to capitalise on extended periods of pressure. That’s our biggest challenge on Sunday. A superb goal from Murray, winning and turning and then shifting his body for the strike as 3 opponents ran after him like they were asking for his autograph. 

So to win the tie, do everything we did last night, which was the same as both legs v Dunfermline, plus more strikes from midfield. Although to be fair, referee Mason Boyne could have helped if he had applied the same rules when judging Airdrie flying tackles, especially on Celtic loanee Connell, as he did on Afolabi’s cartwheel. Maybe we’ll get a neutral ref on Sunday. 

The pen? From the highlights there might have been the slightest of touch but with the ball flying high over the bar it was a very lucky break for Airdrie. Ferrie’s naivety at work again perhaps. More importantly, we had done a great job for 85 mins keeping Airdrie away from our goal and for the minute or two before the penalty we had sat deep again and allowed a dangerous ball into the big striker. Can’t have that next time.

We’re more than still in it. Mentally we have the upper hand. If Airdrie’s players believe as some of their fans do they can rally like last weekend they’ll be disappointed. The reaction from a large, silenced Airdrie crowd when they were gifted a penalty shows how rattled they are. They did a great job in the league pursuing Cove but this is now the psychology of a cup final. All or nothing. QP were never expected to go up yet. Airdrie are absolutely desperate for it. Strap yerselves in boys!

How have Queens Park got the upper hand mentally when realistically we shouldn't be going into the second leg level?

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Loving Airdrie fans thinking there team is like 2011 Barcelona and that if they play well then QP have no chance. Both teams were absolute gubbins and without big changes would both finish 10th in the Championship.

Forgot the free flowing football of Ayr got them such a high position in the Championship. 

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] no bother big man.

31 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

To be fair, most of us have said it’ll be a tough game on Sunday. If we play at our best then we should win, the league table shows we’re a better team, even if Queen’s Park have improved in the play-offs. A couple of people might be getting carried away slightly but most of us have seen seven games against Queen’s Park which have been fairly low quality and know what to expect on Sunday. We might not be prime Barcelona but at our best we’re a lot better than we showed last night. 

53 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Then you've nothing to worry about if we come up then eh? 

Glad you've built your opinion on a game played on a Tattie field. 👍

57 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We took a lot of positives from the 2 legs against Dunfermline, but you ask any QP fan, wether we go up or stay down, we need an overhaul of the squad. I’d get rid of at least 6 or 7 currently. 

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Nah, I think there is an equal amount of pressure. 

Airdrie have overachieved this season if you consider the budget we have in comparison to Cove/QP/Falkirk. QP were tipped to trump this league and shit out golden performances which simply hasn’t been the case. 

Airdrie do deserve to go up on merit and that is why there’s pressure on us.

Also, QP will most likely go up next year with their budget and players so just bide your time.

Tell me about it.

It’s been a strange season. We started with lots of long term injuries & last year’s assistant as the new manager, then sacked him on NYE, then showed little interest in finding a replacement for months. 

it was like the people running the club had already written this season off.

I think that rubbed off on the fans and players, yet we’re only 90 minutes from promotion.

I’d have taken that at any point from October onwards.

Pretty much every QP and Airdrie fan taking reasonable and logical positions on last night, sunday and the tie overall, then randoms from other clubs start claiming we've ideas above our station blah blah blah. 

Trying far, far too hard, folks. You'll see one of us next season. Deal wi it. 

35 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Pretty much every QP and Airdrie fan taking reasonable and logical positions on last night, sunday and the tie overall, then randoms from other clubs start claiming we've ideas above our station blah blah blah. 

Agree - don't see any fans of either club expecting anything other than a close hard fought match. Could well be decided by one  moment of brilliance or a goalkeeping error 😱

A fucking ayr fan as well. A team that finished *checks notes* a whole 4 points ahead of Dunfermline

1 minute ago, spiders4ever said:

Will it just be the main stand that's open or will the QP fans be in the opposite stand? Couldn't find anything on the website.

It was for montrose , so would assume the same. 

7 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Will it just be the main stand that's open or will the QP fans be in the opposite stand? Couldn't find anything on the website.

I believe you guys will be opposite the main stand. 

That’s based on me asking the club for a ground hopper mate. That’s what I was told 👍🏻

Edited by CapitalDiamond

Well, the next time I log into this forum, we'll either be moving on up, or licking our wounds. 

Enjoy the game folks (not too much, QP supporters) and I'll see you on the other side, one way or another... 

Mon The Diamonds 

34 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Well, the next time I log into this forum, we'll either be moving on up, or licking our wounds. 

Enjoy the game folks (not too much, QP supporters) and I'll see you on the other side, one way or another... 

Mon The Diamonds 

Like a man in orthopaedic shoes...I stand corrected 

18 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Pitch played a huge factor tonight. We need a good surface to play our football whereas QP have had all season to figure that wasteland of park out. 

Possibly the worst performance of the season and we still got a result. It’s all in our favour on Sunday if we want it.

Excellent away crowd for us tonight. Was great to be in amongst it. Shame about the home support. 

Mon the Airdrie ♦️

Doing well until you got to the crowd w**k. 

8 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Always find it humorous when fans say “we didn’t play well” when it was their opponents that didn’t let them play well. QP ran Airdrie into the ground and passed them off the park. The only reason the tie is alive for the Diamonds is our continued inability to capitalise on extended periods of pressure. That’s our biggest challenge on Sunday. A superb goal from Murray, winning and turning and then shifting his body for the strike as 3 opponents ran after him like they were asking for his autograph. 

So to win the tie, do everything we did last night, which was the same as both legs v Dunfermline, plus more strikes from midfield. Although to be fair, referee Mason Boyne could have helped if he had applied the same rules when judging Airdrie flying tackles, especially on Celtic loanee Connell, as he did on Afolabi’s cartwheel. Maybe we’ll get a neutral ref on Sunday. 

The pen? From the highlights there might have been the slightest of touch but with the ball flying high over the bar it was a very lucky break for Airdrie. Ferrie’s naivety at work again perhaps. More importantly, we had done a great job for 85 mins keeping Airdrie away from our goal and for the minute or two before the penalty we had sat deep again and allowed a dangerous ball into the big striker. Can’t have that next time.

We’re more than still in it. Mentally we have the upper hand. If Airdrie’s players believe as some of their fans do they can rally like last weekend they’ll be disappointed. The reaction from a large, silenced Airdrie crowd when they were gifted a penalty shows how rattled they are. They did a great job in the league pursuing Cove but this is now the psychology of a cup final. All or nothing. QP were never expected to go up yet. Airdrie are absolutely desperate for it. Strap yerselves in boys!

"ran Airdrie into the ground and passed them off the park"

Not sure how you figure that. In the second half when you actually enjoyed more possession there wasn't a great deal of threat to our goal.

5 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Headed along last night (made sure to avoid an all black outfit to avoid being branded a hooligan by the Queen's Park faithful). Not too much to add to what's already been said. Couple of questionable decisions but on the whole I don't think the referee got too much wrong. From where I was sitting in the Jackie Husband stand, the penalty looked a bit soft but having seen the replay, the referee got that spot on. Madness for the goalkeeper to come out like that. Definitely wasn't a classic but Connell and Murray looked like class players for Queen's Park whilst Easton was the standout for Airdrie despite a quieter second half. The pitch seemed to hinder both teams equally, I'm not sure it's possible to get used to that when the ball is bobbling in all directions and taking unpredictable bounces, the rain won't have helped either. 

On a side note, fair play the old boy a few seats along from me. Possibly the angriest person I've ever seen at the football, raging at the opposition, the officials and his own team for the full 90. Getting to that age with the blood pressure he must have is an achievement in itself.

Was that the old boy on the end of the row with the walking stick? If so he was in front of me and was a massive pain in the fucking arse with his negativity all night. 

Screenshot_20220513-175049.png