QP v Airdrie /Airdrie V QP Play off FINAL

36 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if the second leg is another draw if I’m honest. Not sure my nerves will handle it but I can see this going to a penalty shootout.

Yeah I’m not expecting there to be more than a goal in it either way and extra time looks a real possibility. I expect Queen’s Park to be organised again and press us high up the pitch but being on a better surface might allow us to play around that better than last night. Equally, we can be a bit too open at times, especially down the wings, and we need to be careful as we saw how dangerous Queen’s Park looked on counter attacks last night when they were pressing and intercepting slack passes. 

I think Murray might go with the same team but I wonder if Afolabi might start. Fox and Grant are very physical and strolled it last night against Gallagher, who I’m a big fan of but struggles up there on his own against two big units. I wouldn’t be too surprised if he started Afolabi through the middle and Gallagher out wide, with McGill dropping out. 

9 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I’m not expecting there to be more than a goal in it either way and extra time looks a real possibility. I expect Queen’s Park to be organised again and press us high up the pitch but being on a better surface might allow us to play around that better than last night. Equally, we can be a bit too open at times, especially down the wings, and we need to be careful as we saw how dangerous Queen’s Park looked on counter attacks last night when they were pressing and intercepting slack passes. 

I think Murray might go with the same team but I wonder if Afolabi might start. Fox and Grant are very physical and strolled it last night against Gallagher, who I’m a big fan of but struggles up there on his own against two big units. I wouldn’t be too surprised if he started Afolabi through the middle and Gallagher out wide, with McGill dropping out. 

I was thinking that, but at the same time with the real possibility of extra-time would it be better to have him off the bench for the last half an hour against tired legs, plus ET if it comes to that? Gabby McGill hasn't been great so I'm not sure I'd start him. Wide right isn't Scott McGill's most effective positive, and Allan is best on the shoulder of the last defender so not sure about him there. MacDonald could be an option as previously mentioned. He'd help defensively as we were exposed down the wings yesterday, but isn't going to offer much going forward. Every other position is pretty much nailed down but will be interesting to see what Murray does there.

Little to add to the many posts on summing up the game. It was always going to be a difficult watch. Cup tie at home where we have been so much better? I think I would take that but it will be nervy . We only had a spell of successful attacking possession round about the 85th minute and we'll need a lot more and a lot earlier of that.

As a neutral that was not a bad game, always take into account how much is at stake. Airdrie the better team in 1st half, QP in the 2nd half. A fair result in the end with Airdrie being the slightly happier of the two. 
It could go all the way to pens but I think Airdrie will edge it.

Sure someone else said this but I think Kyle McDonald should start out at right mid with Watson behind him. He’s not too strong defensively (as seen in the semi final) but he’s powerful and puts a decent cross in the box.

Scott McGill hasn’t been on the boil at all in these playoff games and is a little bit light on his feet and so I think Kyle McDonald would provide the best alternative.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

All or nothing. QP were never expected to go up yet. Airdrie are absolutely desperate for it. Strap yerselves in boys!

Utterly bizarre take.

So QP won't be desperate for promotion? Also think you'll find in almost all of the season prediction lists QP were far more tipped than we were and were among the hot favourite due to their random new wealth.

Always find it humorous when fans say “we didn’t play well” when it was their opponents that didn’t let them play well. QP ran Airdrie into the ground and passed them off the park. The only reason the tie is alive for the Diamonds is our continued inability to capitalise on extended periods of pressure. That’s our biggest challenge on Sunday. A superb goal from Murray, winning and turning and then shifting his body for the strike as 3 opponents ran after him like they were asking for his autograph. 
So to win the tie, do everything we did last night, which was the same as both legs v Dunfermline, plus more strikes from midfield. Although to be fair, referee Mason Boyne could have helped if he had applied the same rules when judging Airdrie flying tackles, especially on Celtic loanee Connell, as he did on Afolabi’s cartwheel. Maybe we’ll get a neutral ref on Sunday. 
The pen? From the highlights there might have been the slightest of touch but with the ball flying high over the bar it was a very lucky break for Airdrie. Ferrie’s naivety at work again perhaps. More importantly, we had done a great job for 85 mins keeping Airdrie away from our goal and for the minute or two before the penalty we had sat deep again and allowed a dangerous ball into the big striker. Can’t have that next time.
We’re more than still in it. Mentally we have the upper hand. If Airdrie’s players believe as some of their fans do they can rally like last weekend they’ll be disappointed. The reaction from a large, silenced Airdrie crowd when they were gifted a penalty shows how rattled they are. They did a great job in the league pursuing Cove but this is now the psychology of a cup final. All or nothing. QP were never expected to go up yet. Airdrie are absolutely desperate for it. Strap yerselves in boys!

Are you ok mate?

Always find it humorous when fans say “we didn’t play well” when it was their opponents that didn’t let them play well. QP ran Airdrie into the ground and passed them off the park. The only reason the tie is alive for the Diamonds is our continued inability to capitalise on extended periods of pressure. That’s our biggest challenge on Sunday. A superb goal from Murray, winning and turning and then shifting his body for the strike as 3 opponents ran after him like they were asking for his autograph. 
So to win the tie, do everything we did last night, which was the same as both legs v Dunfermline, plus more strikes from midfield. Although to be fair, referee Mason Boyne could have helped if he had applied the same rules when judging Airdrie flying tackles, especially on Celtic loanee Connell, as he did on Afolabi’s cartwheel. Maybe we’ll get a neutral ref on Sunday. 
The pen? From the highlights there might have been the slightest of touch but with the ball flying high over the bar it was a very lucky break for Airdrie. Ferrie’s naivety at work again perhaps. More importantly, we had done a great job for 85 mins keeping Airdrie away from our goal and for the minute or two before the penalty we had sat deep again and allowed a dangerous ball into the big striker. Can’t have that next time.
We’re more than still in it. Mentally we have the upper hand. If Airdrie’s players believe as some of their fans do they can rally like last weekend they’ll be disappointed. The reaction from a large, silenced Airdrie crowd when they were gifted a penalty shows how rattled they are. They did a great job in the league pursuing Cove but this is now the psychology of a cup final. All or nothing. QP were never expected to go up yet. Airdrie are absolutely desperate for it. Strap yerselves in boys!

Ive actually just read the last bit. QP were not expected to go up? You are full time with a lot of players who will be on decent wages. You have recruited LD from a premiership club and some Dutch guy from a decent mob. I’d argue your budget will be easily in the top 2-3 in the league. Hardly the underdogs you are painting here

Just now, Aufc said:

Ive actually just read the last bit. QP were not expected to go up? You are full time with a lot of players who will be on decent wages. You have recruited LD from a premiership club and some Dutch guy from a decent mob. I’d argue your budget will be easily in the top 2-3 in the league. Hardly the underdogs you are painting here

Aye the goalposts have changed now. We’re undeniably loaded with money and therefore we should quite rightly be aspiring for promotion in the Scottish third tier. Anyone that says we weren’t supposed to challenge this season are wrong 

Headed along last night (made sure to avoid an all black outfit to avoid being branded a hooligan by the Queen's Park faithful). Not too much to add to what's already been said. Couple of questionable decisions but on the whole I don't think the referee got too much wrong. From where I was sitting in the Jackie Husband stand, the penalty looked a bit soft but having seen the replay, the referee got that spot on. Madness for the goalkeeper to come out like that. Definitely wasn't a classic but Connell and Murray looked like class players for Queen's Park whilst Easton was the standout for Airdrie despite a quieter second half. The pitch seemed to hinder both teams equally, I'm not sure it's possible to get used to that when the ball is bobbling in all directions and taking unpredictable bounces, the rain won't have helped either. 

On a side note, fair play the old boy a few seats along from me. Possibly the angriest person I've ever seen at the football, raging at the opposition, the officials and his own team for the full 90. Getting to that age with the blood pressure he must have is an achievement in itself.

38 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Utterly bizarre take.

So QP won't be desperate for promotion? Also think you'll find in almost all of the season prediction lists QP were far more tipped than we were and were among the hot favourite due to their random new wealth.

Surely you'd agree that the pressure is on Airdrie now though? You've been in this division for the best part of a decade, and there will be a big, noisy, expectant crowd there on Sunday after the excellent season you've had.

Regardless of whether you think we've underachieved or not (I personally believe that's the case), I doubt many people expected us to find ourselves just one game away from promotion even a few months ago.

Surely you'd agree that the pressure is on Airdrie now though? You've been in this division for the best part of a decade, and there will be a big, noisy, expectant crowd there on Sunday after the excellent season you've had.
Regardless of whether you think we've underachieved or not (I personally believe that's the case), I doubt many people expected us to find ourselves just one game away from promotion even a few months ago.

Decent mind games. There is pressure on both teams. Airdrie for the reasons above. Plus we have been better than you all season. However, as I mentioned above, QP are hardly plucky underdogs. They have just brought in Owen coyle who won’t be cheap. Let’s not start underplaying it. It’s basically a one off final. There is always pressure

9 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Nah, I think there is an equal amount of pressure. 

Airdrie have overachieved this season if you consider the budget we have in comparison to Cove/QP/Falkirk. QP were tipped to trump this league and shit out golden performances which simply hasn’t been the case. 

Airdrie do deserve to go up on merit and that is why there’s pressure on us.

Also, QP will most likely go up next year with their budget and players so just bide your time.

Edited by Diamond1924

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Decent mind games. There is pressure on both teams. Airdrie for the reasons above. Plus we have been better than you all season. However, as I mentioned above, QP are hardly plucky underdogs. They have just brought in Owen coyle who won’t be cheap. Let’s not start underplaying it. It’s basically a one off final. There is always pressure

I don't think we're plucky underdogs at all, it's for the reasons you've mentioned that I genuinely do believe there's more pressure on Airdrie. This division is going to be horrific next season, but like you say we have the financial backing to be competitive in it. If you don't take your best chance of getting promoted in years and end up playing in the hardest third tier I can remember, will your best players stick around for it? What about Ian Murray?

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

. QP were never expected to go up yet. Airdrie are absolutely desperate for it. Strap yerselves in boys!

Agree entirely with this post.

Whilst being desparately keen to be promoted, the best we ever realistically dreamed of at the start of the seson, would be a 4th place finish. 

It will be an interesting afternoon, come Sunday.    

59 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Aye the only underdog aspect of QP is their small crowd...

But anyway , glad to come away from that tattie field with a draw ! 

On to Sunday and what will be another tight game. Need to get my wardrobe sorted for it though...remember everyone, bright colours only ! Don't want to be a fascist now! 

Edited by Rossm25
Cause I'm humpty at spelling

13 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Aye the only underdog aspect of QP is there small crowd...

But anyway , glad to come away from that tattie field with a draw ! 

On to Sunday and what will be another tight game. Need to get my wardrobe sorted for it though...remember everyone, bright colours only ! Don't want to be a fascist now! 

I'd recommend this...

image.png.99491c29843e7688714d8ab476879d8e.png

12 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Aye the only underdog aspect of QP is there small crowd...

*their

Having corrected your grammar, I think you’ll find I have won and your only option is to deactivate your account. 

Agree entirely with this post.
Whilst being desparately keen to be promoted, the best we ever realistically dreamed of at the start of the seson, would be a 4th place finish. 
It will be an interesting afternoon, come Sunday.    

Of course airdrie are desperate for it. I’d argue we have been the best team all season so we were gutted not to win the league. If we don’t go up then yes there is a chance that we will lose our manager and some players.

However, as I have said, why were you only dreaming of 4th place? Your budget and infrastructure is one of (if not) the highest/most expensive in the league so you would have been expected to finish higher than 4th.

45 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I'd say there'll be more pressure on QP now. You couldn't beat us on your own tattie field of a pitch that played to your pressing game. It's far easier to press and close players down when they're trying to control a ball on a pitch with more bobbles than an old wooly jumper. 

We will move the ball about far quicker in our own pitch and play far fewer long clearances. There's players who struggled on that pitch last night who will be far more comfortable back on an actual flat surface. 

Last night we had to adapt to your pitch. On Sunday you'll have to adapt your game to our pitch. 

I'm extremely happy to have escaped with a draw but even happier to be home in the second leg with a huge crowd guaranteed to back the team again. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond