QP v Airdrie /Airdrie V QP Play off FINAL

That's me had a kip and a coffee, and a chance to digest the game (albeit not seen highlights yet).

A terrible game of football over the 90, thought we started with a bit of purpose and looked up for it, winning 50/50s and putting in a few good challenges, and as the half wore on, that faded. Easton looked a bit lackadaisical and that's probably one of the most nervy I've seen McCabe as well, too many punts down our right going absolutely nowhere.

Queens park obviously know how bad the park was, so playing for territory, to get to the final third, then try and do something there was probably the only way to play that park.

Couldn't see the keeper really for the QP goal, but looked a good finish from Murray, who I thought made a real nuisance of himself last night.

Jonny coming on for Gal made a bit of sense as Gal was getting absolutely no change out of anyone in the QP defence and big J offered something a bit more physical and done absolutely brilliant to get to the ball before the keeper, and the keepers just been 100% commited .

Overall, a really good vocal away support, a bad day at the office on terms of performance but seeing the turnaround in Montrose away to Montrose at home, I'm confident they guys will leave absolutely nothing on that park come Sunday.

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I'd imagine the second leg will be a better watch. First legs are usually a bit cagey.

Made me wonder why we don't run these play off finals as a one off like they do down south.

Hope so.

9 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Hopkin might be the worst commentator I've ever heard. Airdrie will be delighted with that as they were really poor

I thought neither side was great

9 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

That game would get football stopped, awful!

Very poor game, imo

8 hours ago, Caro-Kann said:

That was an eye bleeding spectacle, the inverse of Saturday's game in entertainment value. Fortunate to come away with a draw but given that's as poor as we've been since the last away trip to Peterhead (again salvaged by Afolabi) hopefully play to our strengths on Sunday. 

Aye

QP got their tactics right on the pitch. Play the ball into the corners behind the defence and let Simon Murray run in behind. That is what he is good at. We tried to play too many neat passes in a fairly congested and boggy park. Both teams will feel they can play better and both will feel they can win. Will be an interesting game for sure

If that was Queen’s Park at there best and they still couldn’t beat us I don’t think we should have much to worry about on Sunday, not lost a home game since November. Cmon the diamonds [emoji815]️

Really disappointed that Airdrie managed to get an equaliser. Still all square for Sunday which should make for an interesting afternoon.

Why no mention of the smoke bomb thrown from the Airdrie stand and for the need for the police to get involved?

30 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Really disappointed that Airdrie managed to get an equaliser. Still all square for Sunday which should make for an interesting afternoon.

Why no mention of the smoke bomb thrown from the Airdrie stand and for the need for the police to get involved?

Deary me, who cares 😂 Created a bit of an atmosphere. Something you lot should try 👍🏼

Always find it humorous when fans say “we didn’t play well” when it was their opponents that didn’t let them play well. QP ran Airdrie into the ground and passed them off the park. The only reason the tie is alive for the Diamonds is our continued inability to capitalise on extended periods of pressure. That’s our biggest challenge on Sunday. A superb goal from Murray, winning and turning and then shifting his body for the strike as 3 opponents ran after him like they were asking for his autograph. 

So to win the tie, do everything we did last night, which was the same as both legs v Dunfermline, plus more strikes from midfield. Although to be fair, referee Mason Boyne could have helped if he had applied the same rules when judging Airdrie flying tackles, especially on Celtic loanee Connell, as he did on Afolabi’s cartwheel. Maybe we’ll get a neutral ref on Sunday. 

The pen? From the highlights there might have been the slightest of touch but with the ball flying high over the bar it was a very lucky break for Airdrie. Ferrie’s naivety at work again perhaps. More importantly, we had done a great job for 85 mins keeping Airdrie away from our goal and for the minute or two before the penalty we had sat deep again and allowed a dangerous ball into the big striker. Can’t have that next time.

We’re more than still in it. Mentally we have the upper hand. If Airdrie’s players believe as some of their fans do they can rally like last weekend they’ll be disappointed. The reaction from a large, silenced Airdrie crowd when they were gifted a penalty shows how rattled they are. They did a great job in the league pursuing Cove but this is now the psychology of a cup final. All or nothing. QP were never expected to go up yet. Airdrie are absolutely desperate for it. Strap yerselves in boys!

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

10 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Always find it humorous when fans say “we didn’t play well” when it was their opponents that didn’t let them play well. QP ran Airdrie into the ground and passed them off the park. The only reason the tie is alive for the Diamonds is our continued inability to capitalise on extended periods of pressure. That’s our biggest challenge on Sunday. A superb goal from Murray, winning and turning and then shifting his body for the strike as 3 opponents ran after him like they were asking for his autograph. 

So to win the tie, do everything we did last night, which was the same as both legs v Dunfermline, plus more strikes from midfield. Although to be fair, referee Mason Boyne could have helped if he had applied the same rules when judging Airdrie flying tackles, especially on Celtic loanee Connell, as he did on Afolabi’s cartwheel. Maybe we’ll get a neutral ref on Sunday. 

The pen? From the highlights there might have been the slightest of touch but with the ball flying high over the bar it was a very lucky break for Airdrie. Ferrie’s naivety at work again perhaps. More importantly, we had done a great job for 85 mins keeping Airdrie away from our goal and for the minute or two before the penalty we had sat deep again and allowed a dangerous ball into the big striker. Can’t have that next time.

We’re more than still in it. Mentally we have the upper hand. If Airdrie’s players believe as some of their fans do they can rally like last weekend they’ll be disappointed. The reaction from a large, silenced Airdrie crowd when they were gifted a penalty shows how rattled they are. They did a great job in the league pursuing Cove but this is now the psychology of a cup final. All or nothing. QP were never expected to go up yet. Airdrie are absolutely desperate for it. Strap yerselves in boys!

Nice and salty, just how I like it.

Fair point, QP made it difficult but we’ve had plenty of teams make it difficult for us and we’ve still managed to play well. Last night was not one of those occasions. The park was QP’s best defence and make no mistake about it. This Sunday will be a different game as you well know.  

The referee was poor for both teams. Penalty or not, it was certainly fair considering the amount of rag dolling your defenders carried out. 

Airdrie fans are desperate for it, you are absolutely right. Why wouldn’t you be? 

Real missed opportunity. We took one of the few chances in the game. It’s a stonewall penalty as well. No complaints. So frustrating. Feel we probably had to take a lead through there to have a chance, but we’ll see.

37 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Numerous Airdrie fans have specifically acknowledged this already by saying that QP got their tactics spot on and didn't give us a moment peace. I think you're finding something to get annoyed at here.

Not really sure what that second part means but if you're implying that Airdrie fans think we'd be able to come back from another 2 or 3 goal deficit then that clearly isn't the case and I doubt you'll find a single Airdrie fan who does think that. One of the main talking points before the tie was that we couldn't afford to go too far behind in the tie because there was no way QP would be as generous. 

I think it's on a knife-edge and could go either way. Being at home on a better surface will obviously be better for us than playing at Firhill but QP have good footballers too so will also help them in some ways. There's a bit of bravado from a couple of Airdrie fans on here but for the most part we are well aware how tough Sunday will be and have stated as much. I think you're trying to create some kind of siege mentality here by pretending that Airdrie fans think is somehow a foregone conclusion. That's just not the case.

50 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Always find it humorous when fans say “we didn’t play well” when it was their opponents that didn’t let them play well. QP ran Airdrie into the ground and passed them off the park.

If we were at our best we wouldn’t have let you not let us play well

8 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

Pretty sure our players will be just as keen as Airdrie to play on a decent surface & bid farewell to the Firhill tattie field.

....until we play Thistle there next season of course

I thought those big heaps of subsoil in the Jackie Husband car park might be a bit of a give away ?.Anyhoos good luck against the Sevco mini-mes..

14 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

If we were at our best we wouldn’t have let you not let us play well

That's true, but if we are at our best, we won't let you not let us not let you play well either.

QP did a very good job off the ball all game, of smothering our ball players and pressing us, and it was evident the difference Coyle has made, even if in hindsight 1-1 was the obvious, peak-QP result we should all have anticipated. 

I think we played (marginally) better in Montrose and lost, so getting the late goal to take a draw away is not too shabby at all. Thought QP looked pretty ropey on the ball first half but improved in that regard second half, whilst we were quite sloppy all night, just wasn't clicking in the final third. 

It's a clear penalty, too, obvious to all of those in possession of functioning eyeballs. Terrible from the goalie. 

Definitely expect us to be better on the ball on Sunday and for the game as a whole to be less eye-bleedingly awful, as both teams will play something more akin to the actual sport of football in better conditions. 

Win a home game versus QP to get up? Cannae ask for better than that. 

Disappointed to have not taken advantage of being on top for the majority of the second half. Excellent finish from Simon Murray, he's had a rough season with injuries and other absences but he's shown up when it matters most. No complaints about the penalty unfortunately. 

All I wanted before the game was to still be in it going into Sunday, so we will see what happens in the 'cup final'. Airdrie were there for the taking last night, but I don't think they'll play like that on Sunday. They finished over 20 points ahead of us in the league for a reason. No matter what happens though, we won't be going to the Excelsior next season, so we're already winners.

Edited by Dave