QP v Airdrie /Airdrie V QP Play off FINAL

I didn’t think we laid a glove on Queens Park at all. Struggled to get the ball under control, pass or even go by an opposition player, so we need to be ecstatic with a draw tonight. Was it the occasion getting to the players (again)? Was it the pitch? I’d like to hope the latter.

And I don’t think it was anywhere near a penalty, to be honest. 

4 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

I didn’t think we laid a glove on Queens Park at all. Struggled to get the ball under control, pass or even go by an opposition player, so we need to be ecstatic with a draw tonight. Was it the occasion getting to the players (again)? Was it the pitch? I’d like to hope the latter.

And I don’t think it was anywhere near a penalty, to be honest. 

All about opinions innit. Stonewaller for me. He wiped him out. 

Funny as I don't think Afolabi was scoring. 

Gutted with that. Thought Airdrie were there for the taking at 1-0 but a costly moment of madness from Ferrie burst that bubble. Annoying as Afolabi blasted the ball over the bar as he was taken out

Tactically Coyle was spot on. We stopped Airdrie from dictating the game and as the 2nd half progressed, we got in their faces and won 2nd balls high up the pitch. I’d of said overall a 1-0 win would of been well deserved. 

Murray was a man on a mission tonight. Ran himself to the ground and smartly finished his goal. That’s exactly the Simon Murray I wish was available for most of the season as he’s clearly a massive asset at this level when fit and firing. Interesting to see where his future lies next season now 

Its a cup final now and it’s all to play for. I actually feel a lot more confident about our chances after tonight. We’ve shown with a fully fit side and a legitimate manager in the dugout that we’re more than capable of competing with these teams.

Naturally still feel slightly deflated but the players should take a lot of belief and heart from tonight 

Very much the cagey game I was expecting but with even less quality from Airdrie. I thought Airdrie started stronger but faded as the half went on and Queen’s Park had the only real chance. We never got going in the second half at all and after Queen’s Park scored I thought they looked likely to go on and score a second. I’m not convinced it was a penalty but Ferrie’s daft enough to give the referee a decision to make. We very much got away with that there and getting that late goal when we never looked like scoring could be vital. 

Queen’s Park played very well, very organised and worked hard off the ball. They caused problems whenever they broke forward with pace and seemed very up for it. A similar performance to their first leg against Dunfermline but with a bit more quality due to the pace of Murray and Quitongo. We were oddly careless in possession tonight. McCabe had his worst game in a long time and him and Easton wasted a lot more passes than usual. The pitch doesn’t help obviously but I feel like we made it a bigger issue than it was. There was a lot of strange decision making overall at both ends of the park, players panicking for no real reason. I think we’ll be much improved on Sunday, hopefully without the two goal head start this time. 

I’m glad that’s my last trip to Firhill for the season though. As someone who lives in the southside, driving up there takes a lot longer than it should every time so fair play to the Queen’s Park fans who have to deal with that every home game compared to them being local. I’m still not convinced it will be given the state it was in when I walked past yesterday but hopefully Lesser Hampden is ready for the start of next season.

That pitch was a huge factor in how poorly we played. And I think we will all see that in Sunday. 

Watched the highlights and definitely a penalty. Clever play by Afalobi as he saw the keeper coming and just knocks the ball away and takes the hit. Penalty all day long and superb finish from McCabe. Sunday will be another tight affair but will see Airdrie playing to their strengths on a decent surface and think that will be the deciding factor. 

Roll on Sunday! 

First half Airdrie started pretty strong and it looked like it wasn’t going to be an easy watch. I thought we came into the game more however and probably ended the better side. Sunday’s game is a cup final- play like we did and limit Airdrie’s ability to play and there’s no reason why we can’t come away with a win.

It may have been down to the step up in level, but Quitongo has looked honking since he’s come back from injury. Form aside he didn’t really look fit at the start of the game. To his credit Ferrie has pulled out a couple decent stops in recent weeks, but his limitations to me suggest he can’t be our #1 keeper next season. Too many howlers/moments of madness.

Bring on Sunday.

28 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Very much the cagey game I was expecting but with even less quality from Airdrie. I thought Airdrie started stronger but faded as the half went on and Queen’s Park had the only real chance. We never got going in the second half at all and after Queen’s Park scored I thought they looked likely to go on and score a second. I’m not convinced it was a penalty but Ferrie’s daft enough to give the referee a decision to make. We very much got away with that there and getting that late goal when we never looked like scoring could be vital. 

Queen’s Park played very well, very organised and worked hard off the ball. They caused problems whenever they broke forward with pace and seemed very up for it. A similar performance to their first leg against Dunfermline but with a bit more quality due to the pace of Murray and Quitongo. We were oddly careless in possession tonight. McCabe had his worst game in a long time and him and Easton wasted a lot more passes than usual. The pitch doesn’t help obviously but I feel like we made it a bigger issue than it was. There was a lot of strange decision making overall at both ends of the park, players panicking for no real reason. I think we’ll be much improved on Sunday, hopefully without the two goal head start this time. 

I’m glad that’s my last trip to Firhill for the season though. As someone who lives in the southside, driving up there takes a lot longer than it should every time so fair play to the Queen’s Park fans who have to deal with that every home game compared to them being local. I’m still not convinced it will be given the state it was in when I walked past yesterday but hopefully Lesser Hampden is ready for the start of next season.

Apart from a gentle disagreement over the penalty, I endorse your views. 

12 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Hoping he drops Agnew but can’t see that happening..

also, how can McGill be the first sub on after being hooked at 25 minutes the other day, baffled 

I agree on McGill, I like him but it wasn’t the game for him. We were pretty flat tonight and I thought Jordan Allan would have provided a lot more energy out there than McGill, who was pretty poor and never really got going. Neither are natural wide players to be fair, we don’t really have any at all, but on a night where our passing wasn’t slick I’d have fancied Allan to get in behind their defence.

Very fortunate to get a draw out of that. In terms of playing football it's the worst I've seen us this season, created nothing and never looked like scoring.  I thought that was partly due to the pitch, but also QP did us tactically. They were notably more direct than previous games, bogging us down in our own third where we struggled to pass our way out and ended up resorting to punts up the park which just came straight back. They also didn't give us a second on the ball. I hope on Sunday a better surface will allow us to play a bit more.

Thought it was a clear penalty, he gets wiped out by the keeper. Probably one of those that doesn't often get given but should do. Currie also has to save the QP goal, caught flat footed and doesn't even dive for a shot that wasn't right in the corner.

A one-off home game to get promotion is a good situation to be in. Hopefully a big crowd and we can get over the line.

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I agree on McGill, I like him but it wasn’t the game for him. We were pretty flat tonight and I thought Jordan Allan would have provided a lot more energy out there than McGill, who was pretty poor and never really got going. Neither are natural wide players to be fair, we don’t really have any at all, but on a night where our passing wasn’t slick I’d have fancied Allan to get in behind their defence.

I’d have fancied Allan and afolabi to fight it out against their 2 cb’s, was far too easy for them playing against Gallagher 

Pitch played a huge factor tonight. We need a good surface to play our football whereas QP have had all season to figure that wasteland of park out. 

Possibly the worst performance of the season and we still got a result. It’s all in our favour on Sunday if we want it.

Excellent away crowd for us tonight. Was great to be in amongst it. Shame about the home support. 

Mon the Airdrie ♦️

Good stuff from QP tonight. Neutralised Airdrie throughout, probably had the best chance of the first half and and excellent goal from Simon Murray. 

The penalty is a shame but Ferrie has given the ref a decision to make, especially galling because he was obviously looking to award something in the 2nd half. 

All to play for... Strangely might be better for us to start that game level, rather than have something negative at the back of your mind trying to defend a 1-0. 

Roll on Sunday. 

Buoyed by the fact I’ve already seen QP lose a final this week, I went along to this hoping for more of the same. 

First half was a typically cagey affair. The play offs are brilliant value but equally feel that first legs are always quite shite (insert open goal for QP fans here). Second half was excellent, though. QP deservedly took the lead - a brilliant finish from Murray. I’ve seen suggestions that the ‘keeper could’ve done better but from where I was it just looked a great goal. Thought it was a stonewaller for Airdrie’s penalty, too. The ref was getting a pasting from the QP fans behind me but I don’t think he got too many things wrong tonight. 

Does Luca Connell train full time with QP during the week or is he with Celtic? Thought he looked by far and away the strongest player on the park tonight so made me wonder. 

Sunday is set to be a cracker - I think overall, Airdrie deserve promotion but I don’t see QP shiting the bed in the manner Montrose did in the semi. 

Brilliant numbers through from Airdrie tonight. Got me thinking about the 2008 play off final where they pretty much filled the away stand at Broadwood. You really do wonder where these folk are every other week, even if you take the day trippers out the equation .

Thought we were unlucky not to come away with a one goal advantage from this game. Ardrie looked good in spells but never really threatened and in fact Queens looked the fitter of the two sides with Airdrie looking more tired and less polished as the game progressed. I think tactics -wise we won the game and if we can repeat the grinding down process and contain Airdrie for the first half on Sunday we have a good chance to do a 'Dunfermline' on them and win by the odd goal.

Keep it going Queens - almost there !!

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

For me right mid is our weakest posution,  Gabby is much better as an impact sub,  Scott McGill has played most position this season and been decent right mid is by far his weakest and he is well off form,    a bit of a left field change here I would play Kyle McDonald in front of Watson,  Kyle is a decent player he just struggles defensively.......Thoughts

4 hours ago, Passionate said:

For me right mid is our weakest posution,  Gabby is much better as an impact sub,  Scott McGill has played most position this season and been decent right mid is by far his weakest and he is well off form,    a bit of a left field change here I would play Kyle McDonald in front of Watson,  Kyle is a decent player he just struggles defensively.......Thought

After our display last night makes last sat all the harder to believe we scored 6 goals,