QP v Airdrie /Airdrie V QP Play off FINAL

5 hours ago, AlwaysAPar said:

As someone with absolutely no connection to either club, I think I speak on behalf of every neutral on this website when I say come on Queen’s Park 

Honestly…. This is the type of dross we’ll be reading all week.  If I was a Par, I’d just be focused on getting back to the Championship.  And if this moron had any brains, he’d know we’d most likely be a bigger roadblock to them than QP in league 1.  He probably wants us to get promoted and out of Dunfermlines way.  

Here’s the facts - Airdrie are a better side than QP.  If we show up with the same grit and determination that we had in the second half yesterday then there will only be one winner.  Yes, the team with the biggest desire will most likely win.  QP have enough quality to frustrate and beat teams.  Just ask AlwaysAPar.   But I truly believe over 180 minutes we will have enough to do this.  And the scare against Montrose will give us an extra push for Thursday night.  It’s time to get the promotion we deserve.  

C’mon Airdrie ♦️ 

20 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Here’s the facts - Airdrie are a better side than QP.

I imagine most people's preference for Queens Park coming up is based on things other than which team is better at football.

8 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I imagine most people's preference for Queens Park coming up is based on things other than which team is better at football.

I get that.  That’s was the fucking point I was trying to make 😐

A+ for observation 

Queens Park will have a WARCHEST to use if they come up. 
So *gulps* come on Airdrie. 
^^^I feel dirty saying that^^^

They are also a nothing club. Not a huge support. Any support don’t really offer much. Throw in the fact they are only where they are because they have cash then I’d be glad to see the back of them either way.

As are Airdrie.

Ayr and airdrie fans get themselves worked up when they play each other. Doesn’t really strike me as ayr seeing us as a nothing club.

Quite a few games (if we go up) that should be a decent atmosphere.

29 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Can you Airdrie fans please not break our crossbar again if you come up.

Back then Sommerset had the skinniest goal frames I’d ever seen. It was like they were made of copper piping painted white and you could see the top corners had joining pieces that the post and bar fitted into. 

The bar didn’t actually break that day, it popped out of the joining piece. 

I always like quirky things like that (or say a beautiful pavilion). Shame that you’ve moved to standard ones now but they should cope with half a dozen fans swinging on them! 

Would rather Airdrie came up for a game with genuine ill feeling rather than the forced "alternative Glasgow derby" narrative we'd get with QP. Also QP likely to have a bigger budget, and I can't wish Owen Coyle any success. 

The only downside of maybe going up is that I rather like trips to Montrose, Peterhead, Methil etc.

Going to Crappielow, Fudless park, Scumerset, Dreary Dens… hardly gets the cultural juices flowing.

At least Cove and Arbroath have something of the sea air to offer!

Anyway work to do before all that can be a reality.

Love the Ayr Utd loons talking down to us already. They really are a magnificent footballing team! Actually forgot about their deluded followers.

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

Would rather Airdrie came up for a game with genuine ill feeling rather than the forced "alternative Glasgow derby" narrative we'd get with QP. Also QP likely to have a bigger budget, and I can't wish Owen Coyle any success. 

This. Quite enjoyed the Airdrie cup game this year as there was a real atmosphere to it; something we very rarely experience these days.

The main redeeming feature of sharing a league with QP would be getting an away day in the south side which would be a bit different - but it looks like that might not even be an option unless there’s some rapid movement on Lesser’s development.

I said a few weeks ago that I thought Queens Park would be the biggest threat in the play-offs. Despite us finishing miles ahead of them they only lost 1 more game than us, and had a better defensive record than us. They drew half of their league games which is pretty ridiculous, but it does show they are a very hard side to actually beat - as Dunfermline have just found out. They do keep the ball pretty well, and although they don't often do much with it it does mean you get limited scoring chances against them. I've also had the impression that they had a few players who weren't really up for grinding week in week out at the 'less glamorous' venues, but in bigger games that really meant something they might step up.

Having said all that, we should still be slight favourites as I think we have more firepower up front. Montrose also exploited our weaknesses which is balls into the box but QP like to keep the ball so unless Coyle changes them quite dramatically I'd hope that might play into our hands. I'd expect 2 very close games, with us hopefully having just enough.

A lack of proper rivals have made this league a bit too pally. Too cuddly, as it were.

I fear that the cuddliness factor would just be increased with the presence of the nouveau riche neighbours, Even the presence of Owen Coyle (booooo!!) in the dugout fails to inspire the requisite rancour for rivalry.

Holding my nose and voting for Airdrie.

Edited by velo army

40 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I said a few weeks ago that I thought Queens Park would be the biggest threat in the play-offs. Despite us finishing miles ahead of them they only lost 1 more game than us, and had a better defensive record than us. They drew half of their league games which is pretty ridiculous, but it does show they are a very hard side to actually beat - as Dunfermline have just found out. They do keep the ball pretty well, and although they don't often do much with it it does mean you get limited scoring chances against them. I've also had the impression that they had a few players who weren't really up for grinding week in week out at the 'less glamorous' venues, but in bigger games that really meant something they might step up.

Having said all that, we should still be slight favourites as I think we have more firepower up front. Montrose also exploited our weaknesses which is balls into the box but QP like to keep the ball so unless Coyle changes them quite dramatically I'd hope that might play into our hands. I'd expect 2 very close games, with us hopefully having just enough.

Perfectly described. We tend to be more “up for it” against teams higher up in the league. Undefeated against Cove suggests we’re no mugs when we can bothered. It’s when we’ve played East Fife, Alloa, Clyde etc where we’ve looked utterly pathetic. 

Don’t get me wrong, the last visit to Airdrie was an atrocious performance, easily our worst of the season. However, it’s not our DOF in charge this time and we’ve now got a legitimate and experienced manager who’s been successful in navigating a team out the play offs. Our team is near enough full strength and we reverted to a more stuffy approach against Dunfermline which seems to suit the defence, in particular Peter Grant and Michael Doyle who aren’t exactly graceful on the ball to put it lightly. 

Airdrie should absolutely feel confident going into this and will be the favourites but I’ve always had this sneaky suspicion from a while back that we could drag our way through the playoffs. It’s working so far 🤞

From a Qp perspective, you think that if we fail to go up, due to our fortunate financial position, we will hopefully be able to compete with anyone in league 1 next season. Do Airdrie fans feel that they need to go up this season with League 1 looking increasingly competitive? Definitely seems now the best chance you’ve got to gain promotion 

Edited by qpfc