QP v Airdrie /Airdrie V QP Play off FINAL

Both teams will be buzzing after yesterday for sure

I’d say another Firhill draw between the teams is the most likely outcome for the first leg with Airdrie favourites to win at home in the second leg.

We do seem to be a much more focussed and resilient team than the last team we played Airdrie more confident than i would have been a few weeks ago 

This Airdrie team are frightening. They were absolutely relentless yesterday and just did not stop despite being dead and buried. Not many teams will score 6 against Montrose. 

Whatever hoodoo we had about the playoffs is most certainly out the windae now!

Our games with QP have been tight affairs besides that 2-0 win at home. They’re a big stuffy side with good players but I’m hopeful. 

I certainly think Montrose was the hardest draw of the playoffs and I would’ve been happy with either QP or Dunfermline in the final. 

Let’s do this Airdrie and get back up to the championship. Every neutral I’ve spoken with has exclaimed how well we play. Time to show it when it matters. 

Mon the Airdrie ♦️

8 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

This Airdrie team are frightening. They were absolutely relentless yesterday and just did not stop despite being dead and buried. Not many teams will score 6 against Montrose. 

Whatever hoodoo we had about the playoffs is most certainly out the windae now!

Our games with QP have been tight affairs besides that 2-0 win at home. They’re a big stuffy side with good players but I’m hopeful. 

I certainly think Montrose was the hardest draw of the playoffs and I would’ve been happy with either QP or Dunfermline in the final. 

Let’s do this Airdrie and get back up to the championship. Every neutral I’ve spoken with has exclaimed how well we play. Time to show it when it matters. 

Mon the Airdrie ♦️

Hell must have frozen over as I agree with pretty much every word here.

Airdrie by far the best of the rest in League One and will be favourites for that reason. Dunfermline were favourites as well, though. 

Still can’t really believe yesterday actually happened.

19 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Mr Coyle's motivation has I hope re-kindled a fire in the belly of the squad to the extent that we can finally overcome Airdrie this season and progress to the dizzy heights of the Championship. 

Thoughts... 

Will be a lottery on 2 dodgy pitches and we were not great on a perfect pitch  but let's fight for it

Airdrie had a sluggish start to the season and that might have cost them the league. They just kept going to catch Cove and the game yesterday shows they have a really strong group mentality. They also know how to score goals. And perhaps a belief that they belong in the Championship. Not a bad thing.

If we are to compete our group has to blank the league campaign, keep them as far from our goals as possible and retain the ball. We still had a worrying spell of hoofball in the first half yesterday which seems to be a Coyle thing but it stresses the shit out of me. I can’t see Airdrie tiring like Dunfermline did so yesterday’s tactics and changes are likely to be less effective.

But when it comes to knockout football, it’s all about desire and wanting to win. We’ve got a chance but we’ll need every one of our guys to be  all they can be for every minute of the two games. And not be thinking second-best is pretty good.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

I think this will be a very different game for both teams compared to their semi-final opponents. From what I saw on Wednesday and yesterday’s highlights, Dunfermline didn’t really threaten Queen’s Park too much while we scored six goals yesterday through our quality, pace and most importantly determination. Saying that, Queen’s Park have kept two clean sheets while we conceded three very soft goals to put Montrose 3-0 up. We really can’t afford to do that again. 

The teams know each other pretty well at this point but Murray and Agnew were there on Wednesday and they’ll be well aware that Queen’s Park will be much improved from the dross that stunk out the 2-0 game a couple of months ago. The other games between the teams have been very tight this season. It’s hard to read too much into the first three games now, our team, both individuals and style of play, is very different to those games but even the 1-0 and 1-1 games since then were tricky. Airdrie have had the edge in the games so far and are a better team, the league table shows that, but as we saw for large parts of our semi-final that doesn’t count for much in knockout football and we’ll have to be at our best to win this. 

I’ve got no concerns about fitness despite yesterday’s extra-time. While the adrenaline helped, our players looked fitter during it and some players looked like they could have went another 120 minutes. Hopefully McCabe and Gallagher are ready to go for Thursday night. I don’t think it will be pretty but we’ll bring a lot more to the game in terms of quality and effort than Dunfermline did. It’ll be tough but this is the best chance we’ll have of going up and we can’t let yesterday’s drama be for nothing. 

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Airdrie are a horrible club however if they were to come up they’d be relegation cannon fodder so I think I’d rather they won the playoffs over free-spending Queens Park. 

Bit like yous consistently are eh? 

I have speculated on Queens Park doing a Brechin with draws and penalties wins. That was broken yesterday so its down to skill and heart in these 2 legs. 

All the games were close until the most recent one and clearly Queens have earned the chance to go up. I was impressed by Fox in all the games but the absence of lots of goals apart from that Falkirk one, makes me think it will be Airdrieonians that get the job done. 

Should we give up the openings that Montrose got, that would make me worried, but I think we will tighten up. 

Still nervously confident but quite capable of a challenge to the other horrible clubs in the Championship, if we keep the quality players.

Airdrie are a horrible club however if they were to come up they’d be relegation cannon fodder so I think I’d rather they won the playoffs over free-spending Queens Park. 

I would suspect we would be down the bottom end but I’m not convinced the likes of ayr and Morton are hugely better than us. Cove are roughly the same standard. If we kept the core of our players and added some decent signings then could be interesting.