Lost iphone help

22 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I found an iPhone in a Supermarket about two days ago.

It had nothing but pictures of Brian Rice on it. It must have belonged to a weirdo.

Was it a Chinese one? 

Edited by Hoose Rice

iPhones wipe automatically if someone puts the lock code in wrong 10 times (and you have that option ticked).  Chances of someone guessing a 6 digit pin in 10 goes is fairly remote (unless it’s 000000 or 123456) but yeah I think you can wipe it remotely from your iCloud account or put a message on the Lock Screen. My wife had one nicked a few years ago, she put “THOSE PHONE IS STOLEN” as the Lock Screen message and watched on a map as someone walked to a street full of dodgy phone shops and presumably flogged it because it went dead and never came back on. 

1 hour ago, Sliced Bread said:

iPhones wipe automatically if someone puts the lock code in wrong 10 times (and you have that option ticked).  Chances of someone guessing a 6 digit pin in 10 goes is fairly remote (unless it’s 000000 or 123456) but yeah I think you can wipe it remotely from your iCloud account or put a message on the Lock Screen. My wife had one nicked a few years ago, she put “THOSE PHONE IS STOLEN” as the Lock Screen message and watched on a map as someone walked to a street full of dodgy phone shops and presumably flogged it because it went dead and never came back on. 

Presumably they have to do a factory reset to reuse the phone without the thumb print or login code, so at least your data is safe?

I had an old phone that I couldn't remember the code for and googled for how to do a reset without logging in, it was fairly simple using a combination of the volume and on/off buttons. Wasn't an Apple though. 

Edited by welshbairn

41 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Unfortunate for the opening poster but a lesson to us all to have good passwords, turn on tracking sofftware and be careful when visiting brothels.....I mean shops.

Massage parlour...

I wonder if it is possible this phone was acquired by a secret operative working for a dangerous foreign country intent on clandestine activities aimed at undermining national security.

If so Hoose Rice might be falsely pounced upon by MI5 who will take him away for interrogation and losing his phone will be the least of his worries.

Hopefully not.

Useda work for Apple, find my iphone is great if its activated, but sounds very much here like the OP is fucked, unless they’ve used a different email address on that apple id, quite a lot of people have 2/3 accounts from old phones or new email addresses etc. OP, if you can get the imei number and imsi from the phone you can register it on the stolen property database for phones. If you’re claiming insurance you’ll need a loss report from the police.

29 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Useda work for Apple, find my iphone is great if its activated, but sounds very much here like the OP is fucked, unless they’ve used a different email address on that apple id, quite a lot of people have 2/3 accounts from old phones or new email addresses etc. OP, if you can get the imei number and imsi from the phone you can register it on the stolen property database for phones. If you’re claiming insurance you’ll need a loss report from the police.

Be as well just handing himself in to MI5 if he's going to wander down the police station to help with an insurance claim.

Not to sound like a dick but I honestly don’t know how people lose phones in this day and age. Given the price of them, the amount of personal data you have on them, the hassle of moving everything to a new one it’s the first thing I check I still have in my pocket when I go to leave anywhere. Even if I’m absolutely plastered I’ll still have enough sense to check my phone is still there as I get out a taxi.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

Lost his iphone and doesn’t have find my iPhone activated. Two massive blunders by the OP. What’s the point in even having an iPhone if you don’t have the tracking activated, it’s one of the things Apple are really good at. I ‘lost’ my Apple Watch, thought it fell off - checked the tracker on my phone and it was in my car. Panic over.