🇱🇻 Arbroath v ICTFC 🇱🇺 - WILLIE COLLUM IN THE MUD

4 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

No and no, which should be top of our priority list to fix.

Completely agree. We used to have one and it’s crazy that we don’t now. Even Elgin have a youth setup and age group teams.

So it’s yes to everything except “he didn’t have his arms round him” (which he clearly did) - but he did bring him down. Ah well, doesn’t matter now.

No he didn’t bring him down. A player feeling a bit of contact and throwing yourself down isn’t the same as being brought down.

Hamilton took a gamble on Collum being an idiot instead of actually trying to score. If he’d done the latter maybe Arbroath would’ve gone through.

2 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

No and no, which should be top of our priority list to fix.

Think this is your managers Achilles heel because if Arbroath are to establish themselves as a championship team this will have to be there priority because just looking at the squad at the moment it’s more or less the same one from the last 4/5 seasons 

He didn’t have his arms around him though. Devine fell to the ground and as he does he can obviously feel contact and throws himself down. Anyone with eyes and a brain knows it’s not a red.
It's a foul every day of the week.

The debate is whether it should have been a yellow or a red. In real time it looks like red - it's only with the benefit of umpteen replays that I'm leaning towards yellow.

3 hours ago, Huisdean50 said:

Only one team played anti football over the two legs and it wasn't ICT. Remember Arbroath trying to get McAlear sent off in the first leg when your player wasn't even touched by him 

Whattt? ICT barely crossed the halfway line in two of the halves (of the 4 in the two ties so dwe saw only the most fleeting glances of these silky skills you imply while of course you had the excuse of going a man down so that justified hanging on for penalties - which looked like ICT strategy from the outset.  No team with Broadfoot in it can claim to be a footballing side.  But yes ICT are athletic and physical.  The fact is Arbroath didn’t show composure at key moments, didn’t exploit the player numerical advantage and didn’t get the break of the ball but only one team was actually trying to win that (even when 11 against 11).  Winning the penalty lottery doesn’t really offer a strong platform to claim to be a footballing side.

I’m relieved our great season is over and won’t bother watching the final due to its probable lack of entertainment value and football talent.

Edited by farflung lichtie

Now that I'm over the frustration and disappointment of last night (at Gayfield that is) I'm glad the season's over. It may have been a one off, we might not do as well again for a while but it was good. We have the Championship player of the year and players in the Championship team of the year, and finished runner up in the league, a truly outstanding season for the club.

I have to agree with Tattie36 regarding Luke Donnelly. Every time he is in the side I hope that he will show us what the manager sees in him but he just continues to do what he has done since he's been with the club, which is next to f**k all.

5 hours ago, timlichtie said:

I was at the game. Didn’t hear Stewart but he’s generally one of the more honest and entertaining pundits.
Inverness played 120 minutes of ugly anti football. They were lucky to only lose 2 players to red cards. Broadfoot stated post match that they’d been practicing penalties all week. Says it all.

I was there too and that's exactly right. Ridgers was wasting time at every place kick long before ICT went down to ten men. It was extremely negative tactics by Dodds, I was disappointed with him.

That said, I don't think it will bother him too much. He and his team got what they wanted and Dodds will think he's reached the minimum aim for the season by reaching the play-off final with a financially backed Killie always favourites. His team could have won it in the last minute of normal time with that brilliant solo run (Hardy?)as could've Arbroath in the second-half of extra time with the header off the bar.

The game was awful but compelling. Kirk Clubfoot marshalled the rearguard action well. Arbroath will rue the missed opportunity. They didn't stretch the opposition defence enough and the longer it remained 0-0 you just knew there was going to be a sting in the tail with penalties. They must put it aside and go again next season. It's going to be fascinating  with Dundee and Cove Rangers also in the league.

I've never been to Gayfield before with that kind of numbers and it didn't handle it well. Because of the segregation there was only one exit for the home fans and it meant it was impossible to get out if you were located on the East Terrace (I felt like Tom McKean getting boxed in for the umpteenth time). However, someone removed the fencing behind the South End and plenty took advantage (it had to be done). Also, port-a-loos aren't the best for a crowd of that size but at least if you were in the one closest to the South End you could still see the pitch from air vents around the top...😁

I was surprised by the passion and noise of the ICT travelling fans. A very good performance from them if not from the teams on the pitch.

Gutted that it was Bobby Linn that missed. It reminded of me of his and Simon Murray's performance in a 2015 play-off against Queen's Park. From 0-2 down, Linn destroyed Quuen's Park and set up Simon Murray for a double. That's how I prefer to remember Bobby Linn rather than that miss last night. I actually thought that he added a bit of attacking threat when he came on.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Gutted that it was Bobby Linn that missed. It reminded of me of his and Simon Murray's performance in a 2015 play-off against Queen's Park. From 0-2 down, Linn destroyed Quuen's Park and set up Simon Murray for a double. That's how I prefer to remember Bobby Linn rather than that miss last night. I actually thought that he added a bit of attacking threat when he came on.

I guarantee you that not one single Arbroath fan will resent Linn for his penalty last night or blame him for the loss. Even though the short run up pretty much telegraphed where he was putting it, Ridgers still had to make the save. Thought he also played well when he came on and delighted he’s got another years contract.

5 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

“Didn’t even want to get promoted anyway” is it? 

Personally, and speaking only for myself….no.  There’s a real difference between winning a title and being promoted for one thing.  But a season of struggle in the SPL has almost no appeal plus the other serious inconveniences (playing the OF, segregation) would simply drain any enjoyment of the weekly football.  Games need to be reasonably competitive to sustain interest (one reason the Championship is generally preferable from any team’s perspective).   Even here I miss some of the more interesting grounds and opponents of the seaside leagues. Of course no club/team can stand still so the need to evolve and progress must be present or soon enough the downward slide will set in (many recent examples of similar clubs to ours).  

So it all depends what you want supporting your club.  A small fish in a medium rather than large pond seems fine to me. Even the management would be facing difficult decisions if promoted (or major turnover of playing squad, full time/hybrid options, finance) but this longtime supporter is suitably relieved.

30 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

Personally, and speaking only for myself….no.  There’s a real difference between winning a title and being promoted for one thing.  But a season of struggle in the SPL has almost no appeal plus the other serious inconveniences (playing the OF, segregation) would simply drain any enjoyment of the weekly football.  Games need to be reasonably competitive to sustain interest (one reason the Championship is generally preferable from any team’s perspective).   Even here I miss some of the more interesting grounds and opponents of the seaside leagues. Of course no club/team can stand still so the need to evolve and progress must be present or soon enough the downward slide will set in (many recent examples of similar clubs to ours).  

So it all depends what you want supporting your club.  A small fish in a medium rather than large pond seems fine to me. Even the management would be facing difficult decisions if promoted (or major turnover of playing squad, full time/hybrid options, finance) but this longtime supporter is suitably relieved.

Even though I would have loved a crack at the Premiership and desperately wanted us to go up, I do get what you’re saying.

Realistically we would have been saying goodbye to a chunk of our great squad - many of them very good players who deserve longer at the club. Also the feel good factor around the club would be sorely tested when you’re potentially getting well beaten most weeks.

I’m sure the last few weeks has taught the players and management team some big lessons and hopefully that bodes well for next season.

The Championship is looking weaker next season than this, we’ve nothing to fear and there’s no reason we can’t be up towards the pointy end again.

Also, after feeling a bit down last night and this morning, I’m feeling great about where we are. Challenging for the title, very close to the playoff final, a massively increased profile for the club, great things happening off the park as well as on, and the whole town (and beyond) behind us - all in all a pretty great time to be a Lichtie.

Edited by Tattie36

Sad to see some real bitterness seeping in from a few Arbroath fans.
I don't think Arbroath fans have anything to bitter about. We went into the last 2 games of the season with the league title in our own hands. We fell short by a narrow margin and again in the playoffs but we had an excellent season and can be proud of the effort all the players made. It was a free hit for us and we will be back next season to try again.

1 hour ago, farflung lichtie said:

Whattt? ICT barely crossed the halfway line in two of the halves (of the 4 in the two ties so dwe saw only the most fleeting glances of these silky skills you imply while of course you had the excuse of going a man down so that justified hanging on for penalties - which looked like ICT strategy from the outset.  No team with Broadfoot in it can claim to be a footballing side.  But yes ICT are athletic and physical.  The fact is Arbroath didn’t show composure at key moments, didn’t exploit the player numerical advantage and didn’t get the break of the ball but only one team was actually trying to win that (even when 11 against 11).  Winning the penalty lottery doesn’t really offer a strong platform to claim to be a footballing side.

I’m relieved our great season is over and won’t bother watching the final due to its probable lack of entertainment value and football talent.

Absolute nonsense. We certainly didn't play well last night but the wind, in the first half contributed to that for us. Poor play from us to keep punting high balls up to Samuel as they just came straight back at us. Second half we were much better with Mckay on and until the sending off, I think we were starting to get control of the game. Going down to 10 men, then 9 for a while obviously dictated how we played but it says more about Arbroath silky soccer skills that you barely mustered a shot on target or forced a save from our keeper even with a 1/2 man advantage. Your luck ran out last night as it had to at some point and while we will most likely meet again next season, I do hope we beat you convincingly with eleven men. 

The only thing the Premiership is good for the is money your club earns. For the fans, it’s mostly shite imo.

I can assure you,as a Killie fan, this year has been the shitiest standard of football I’ve seen in 29 years, since we were there the last time. Awful, awful league. Thought it might be refreshing for a season, but it was the opposite.