🇱🇻 Arbroath v ICTFC 🇱🇺 - WILLIE COLLUM IN THE MUD

21 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
I think that's the point though.
Arbroath are incredibly unlikely to repeat the most remarkable form they've shown in living memory.
Next time round, they're much more likely to be relegated than find themselves atop the league for much of the season.
I don't imagine they'll get another chance like that.

Look at Leicester City the year after the fairy tale of winning the EPL they were almost relegated the next season, I think something similar could happen next season.

Agree. Ayr will be relegated next season.

I was at the game. Didn’t hear Stewart but he’s generally one of the more honest and entertaining pundits.
Inverness played 120 minutes of ugly anti football. They were lucky to only lose 2 players to red cards. Broadfoot stated post match that they’d been practicing penalties all week. Says it all.

Arbroath were equally as rotten except they didn’t have an excuse. Hardly tested ridgers at all

Wasn't the "classic" that BBC described it - ie little in the way of free flowing football with defences on top and neither side having the guile to create quality chances. But it certainly had drama due to the importance of the game, the effort and endeavour of the teams, the odd decisions and how Caley coped in the face of adversity. It was written in the stars that it would go to penalties and Caley would win it.
I know Collum is a favourite hate figure for fans but I could easily see how he gave the first red - particularly in real time and from a distance (the defender fell and in falling his arms did go round Hamilton's waist, even if unintentionally). With the benefit of 6 replays which the viewers had he probably wouldn't have shown red. The second red was just a fair and hard tackle though and Collum didn't have the excuse of being distant.
Commiserations to Arbroath for cheering up a poor season, but that's fitba folks - it ain't a perfect world.
Fair and hard tackle 40 years ago.

But in the modern game it is reckless.

I get why people my be upset about it but you seriously have to question the sense of a player who dives in having already being booked for diving in.

Over the 2 games there really wasn't much in it either way - pretty dreadful stuff - and Arbroath only have themselves to blame for it going to penalties. Not just not bring able to break down 10 (then 9) men but their general insipid attack when they faced a full team. Inverness seemed happy to try and play on the counter and Arbroath kept punting long balls which were meat and drink to the Caley defence - absolutely no subtlety in the attack.

2 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

All that said, it may be a blessing in disguise that we didn’t progress, especially through the lottery of penalties.   We are probably at some kind of ceiling so even the final and if we somehow negotiated our way around that,  I’m not sure the prospect of a grim survival struggle in yet a higher league appealed. 

“Didn’t even want to get promoted anyway” is it? 

48 minutes ago, Huisdean50 said:

I don't think the sendings off can be defended at all. Collum was still in the Arbroath half for the first one so how could he be a 100%sure it was a sending off. Linesman was still running towards the corner flag and wasn't raising his flag for a foul yey was much closer to the incident. Collum guessed this decision, pure and simple which is unacceptable. 

For the second sending off, Collum has a perfect view of the incident, doesn't blow for a foul immediately and then decides, on the Arbroath player's reaction, not for the first time, to blow for a foul, book Duffy and send him off. Duffy clearly got the ball and didn't foul Linn. Michael Stewart was spot on in his reaction. 

Well, for the first red - Collum should at least have conferred with his linesman first  (given his distance from the incident, and the proximity of the linesman) if he was thinking of showing a red card.  I'll agree with you there.

For the second red - I'm not disagreeing with you, we're on the same page.

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

When ICT went down to 9 men, I thought to myself that it would be fucking funny if Arbroath lost.

When ICT went down to 9 men, it was clear that their only hope/strategy was to shitfest it out to penalties.  At that point it was "written in the stars" that ICT would prevail via penalties.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

... maybe in your "living memory" ... 🙁

Genuine question:  What's the highest you remember them finishing? 

I know they had top flight spells in the 60s and 70s, but that was when there were only two divisions.  Effectively, it meant they were in the top half of league sides in the country, in the same way that you could say that Championship sides pretty much are today.

Did they have some high finishes?  

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You were obviously not there as the terracing is concreted , no grass walkways and there is a covered terrace behind one goal. Your fabrication fools no one.  The majority of normal people actually love the place. 

Apologies in advance (this is way off topic) but I have a faded memory (warning - my memory is crap by the way) of getting some lovely soup at The Glebe years ago ... what's not to like, eh?  Enjoyed my visits, no probs.

A dire 120 mins of stray passing and balls hoofed time after time.

The fact is if a team can't score against 9 men then the blame of losing lies with them wholly, that is what will be taken out of the game today, Arbroath have nobody to blame but themselves.

As for the practicing penalties, why not, ICT are full time and train daily so it would have been unusual f they didn't.

If we hadn't practiced penalties then it would have been a huge oversight.  We were 0-0 halfway through a play off tie, of the four regular league games there was a 1-0 win each and a 0-0 draw.  Predicting that the game would be tight and would go down to the wire hardly required Nostradamus level foresight.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Genuine question:  What's the highest you remember them finishing? 

I know they had top flight spells in the 60s and 70s, but that was when there were only two divisions.  Effectively, it meant they were in the top half of league sides in the country, in the same way that you could say that Championship sides pretty much are today.

Did they have some high finishes?  

Yeah, I figured someone would pop that question and thought about qualifying what I said in my original post at the time.

My memory (without checking detailed stats ... as you know, I'm too lazy for that) is of Arbroath being in the top tier in the 70s.  So yes, it was a two tier structure back then and I think the top league was something like 18 teams.  So Arbroath finishing second in the Championship would equate to being 14th in the overall league structure this season and hence safely being clear of relegation in terms of the early 70's league structure.

My point was that old gits like me can recall Arbroath featuring in the top flight - albeit that the top flight from the 60s/70s was indeed a different beast (size) to that of the current sad cartel (ooops, sorry, "top flight").

Last night was dramatic but an appalling game of football. Perhaps no-one should be surprised that Dick Campbell was at the heart of it. This has always been his speciality  - turgid teams in low quality football. 16 years ago today his duff Partick Thistle side (Mark Roberts excepted) fluked that play-off penalty win over Peterhead - seems he used all his rotten luck up then. Ironically, playing for Peterhead that day was a young Bobby Linn.

Well, for the first red - Collum should at least have conferred with his linesman first  (given his distance from the incident, and the proximity of the linesman) if he was thinking of showing a red card.  I'll agree with you there.
For the second red - I'm not disagreeing with you, we're on the same page.

They wear headsets so I'm sure he did confer with the assistant.

Yeah, I figured someone would pop that question and thought about qualifying what I said in my original post at the time.
My memory (without checking detailed stats ... as you know, I'm too lazy for that) is of Arbroath being in the top tier in the 70s.  So yes, it was a two tier structure back then and I think the top league was something like 18 teams.  So Arbroath finishing second in the Championship would equate to being 14th in the overall league structure this season and hence safely being clear of relegation in terms of the early 70's league structure.
My point was that old gits like me can recall Arbroath featuring in the top flight - albeit that the top flight from the 60s/70s was indeed a different beast (size) to that of the current sad cartel (ooops, sorry, "top flight").

Arbroath finished 13th in 1973-74, so one place higher than this season.