πŸ‡±πŸ‡» Arbroath v ICTFC πŸ‡±πŸ‡Ί - WILLIE COLLUM IN THE MUD

8 hours ago, Neilfs said:

Β 

However unless St Johnstone are here, which looks unlikely, the league will be arguably weaker next year. There will only be one premiership side coming down.

So if they can repeat their form they could challenge again.

I think that's the point though.

Arbroath are incredibly unlikely to repeat the most remarkable form they've shown in living memory.

Next time round, they're much more likely to be relegated than find themselves atop the league for much of the season.

I don't imagine they'll get another chance like that.

9 hours ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Makes no difference!

They still have , how do you put this?

If it it goes to 9 penalties, it just goes back to the first ICT player that took a penalty, and the next Arbroath player who is nominated.

Ah apologies if I wasn't clear. I mean for the play off final against St Johnstone.

9 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I know P&B tends to be more negative than most, but surely this isn't the "classic" that the BBC live text claims it is

No, it certainly wasn't, but I enjoyed it (and the first leg, too).

Wanted Arbroath to win but congratulations to ICT, they didn't get too many breaks, particularly in the second leg!Β :lol:

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Arbroath are incredibly unlikely to repeat the most remarkable form they've shown in living memory.

... maybe in your "living memory" ... πŸ™

Disappointed not to convert a single chance during regular play despite all the pressure. Β  As has been mentioned, we’re the league’s top scorers but only managed 1 in 6 games v ICT this season. Β  ICT barely put in an attack the whole game but tenacious defending and our lack of composure with a string of chances did for us.Β 

All that said, it may be a blessing in disguise that we didn’t progress, especially through the lottery of penalties. Β  We are probably at some kind of ceiling so even the final and if we somehow negotiated our way around that, Β I’m not sure the prospect of a grim survival struggle in yet a higher league appealed. Β If we had somehow pipped Killie to the title, that might have been different, winning it outright.. Β Yes, Hamilton performed miracles to stay up after going through in the playoffs but doubt we could match that without major and undesirable changes

We can savour this season’s showing, which will hard to repeat but if we can compete in the Championship a few more seasons, that might be a bit more sustainable and enjoyable.Β 

Great to see Gayfield packed but looking forward to more run-of-the-mill games where there is space to watch - I was reminded of the severe limitations of standing on the terraces compared with seating.

I just can’t see what the fuss - from some quarters - about the sendings-off. Both the straight red for the last man grappling a player to the ground and the second yellow for a lunge challenge seemed straightforward and uncontroversial to me. Can’t recall what the first yellow was.

Time for a well earned break for fans and players alike. Β Not sure I’ll be watching the final on TV since these tense/frantic occasions seldom offer entertainment tho often drama.

Β 

18 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No, it certainly wasn't, but I enjoyed it (and the first leg, too).

Wanted Arbroath to win but congratulations to ICT, they didn't get too many breaks, particularly in the second leg!Β :lol:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a one sided refereeing display in my entire life.

If it was an under 13s game, and the referee got injured, and they had to bring a da in from the crowd to be referee, you’d still be saying he’s a shite referee based on Collum’s performance.Β 

Wasn't the "classic" that BBC described it - ie little in the way of free flowing football with defences on top and neither side having the guile to create quality chances. But it certainly had drama due to the importance of the game, the effort and endeavour of the teams, the odd decisions and how Caley coped in the face of adversity. It was written in the stars that it would go to penalties and Caley would win it.

I know Collum is a favourite hate figure for fans but I could easily see how he gave the first red - particularly in real time and from a distance (the defender fell and in falling his arms did go round Hamilton's waist, even if unintentionally). With the benefit of 6 replays which the viewers had he probably wouldn't have shown red. The second red was just a fair and hard tackle though and Collum didn't have the excuse of being distant.

Commiserations to Arbroath for cheering up a poor season, but that's fitba folks - it ain't a perfect world.

10 hours ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Makes no difference!

They still have , how do you put this?

If it it goes to 9 penalties, it just goes back to the first ICT player that took a penalty, and the next Arbroath player who is nominated.

Not entirely correct.Β  IIRC there is a FIFA rule that requires the teams to be balanced for the penalty shoot out.Β  Thus with only 9 players for ICT, Arbroath would be required to drop two players to balance it out.

This situation happened in the World Cup.

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Not entirely correct.Β  IIRC there is a FIFA rule that requires the teams to be balanced for the penalty shoot out.Β  Thus with only 9 players for ICT, Arbroath would be required to drop two players to balance it out.

This situation happened in the World Cup.

You are correct, ruling is below:

B42F55E5-4B8B-4FC9-AE99-8FE308C203C0.thumb.jpeg.686d4bc4e6d059f45af766883a217609.jpeg

15 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Not so, the last time we played there in Apr 2018 the infrastructure was a shambles, odd coloured seats all over the place, open terracing and grass walkways all reminiscent of last century, we absolutely pumped them that day and then they had the fuckin cheek to say we had broken fifteen seats, ( which was a fuckin lie as the seats were broken when we arrived), and then demanded compensation, a total dump of a stadium???????????????????????

Oh I remember that day. That was when your young team had their cans of shandy confiscated and they threw the toys out of the pram and went on the rampage.Β Β 

You were obviously not there as the terracing is concreted , no grass walkways and there is a covered terrace behind one goal. Your fabrication fools no one.Β  The majority of normal people actually love the place.Β 

Your daytripper fans were an embarrasment that day .Β 

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
10 hours ago, itzdrk said:
Hard not to feel sorry for Arbroath not doing it after such a good season.Β  But when they shat it against Kilmarnock they lost my sympathy and I'm more interested in a good away day for me than them enjoying themselves.Β  Arbroath is one, Inverness is not.Β 
When they didn't manage to create a chance against 9 men the first time it was pretty obvious what was going to happen.Β Β 
Didn't think the first red was one but I was surprised by the reaction on twitter to the second, looked like he was out of control so surprised it was only a yellow.Β 
Id like rid of Inverness but can't see them troubling St Johnstone (nor would Arbroath) so likely all pointless endeavour.Β Β 

Michael Stewart's reaction to the Duffy red card was just hysterical over the top pish.

Β 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a one sided refereeing display in my entire life.
If it was an under 13s game, and the referee got injured, and they had to bring a da in from the crowd to be referee, you’d still be saying he’s a shite referee based on Collum’s performance.Β 

One sided favouring who?

The quality of football was absolutely atrocious but as a neutral I loved watching it with all the controversy and heightened emotions. On BBC Scotland at the end you could see there had been an editorial decision to row back on Michael Stewart's comments, with Leanne Crichton and Jonathan Sutherland talking about how the sendings off were more justifiable than he had made out.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Wasn't the "classic" that BBC described it - ie little in the way of free flowing football with defences on top and neither side having the guile to create quality chances. But it certainly had drama due to the importance of the game, the effort and endeavour of the teams, the odd decisions and how Caley coped in the face of adversity. It was written in the stars that it would go to penalties and Caley would win it.

I know Collum is a favourite hate figure for fans but I could easily see how he gave the first red - particularly in real time and from a distance (the defender fell and in falling his arms did go round Hamilton's waist, even if unintentionally). With the benefit of 6 replays which the viewers had he probably wouldn't have shown red. The second red was just a fair and hard tackle though and Collum didn't have the excuse of being distant.

Commiserations to Arbroath for cheering up a poor season, but that's fitba folks - it ain't a perfect world.

I don't think the sendings off can be defended at all. Collum was still in the Arbroath half for the first one so how could he be a 100%sure it was a sending off. Linesman was still running towards the corner flag and wasn't raising his flag for a foul yey was much closer to the incident. Collum guessed this decision, pure and simple which is unacceptable.Β 

For the second sending off, Collum has a perfect view of the incident, doesn't blow for a foul immediately and then decides, on the Arbroath player's reaction, not for the first time, to blow for a foul, book Duffy and send him off. Duffy clearly got the ball and didn't foul Linn. Michael Stewart was spot on in his reaction.Β 

Would Collum have made the same decisions in an old firm game, off course not.Β 

I was at the game. Didn’t hear Stewart but he’s generally one of the more honest and entertaining pundits.
Inverness played 120 minutes of ugly anti football. They were lucky to only lose 2 players to red cards. Broadfoot stated post match that they’d been practicing penalties all week. Says it all.

I think that's the point though.
Next time round, they're much more likely to be relegated than find themselves atop the league for much of the season.
I don't imagine they'll get another chance like that.
Look at Leicester City the year after the fairy tale of winning the EPL they were almost relegated the next season, I think something similar could happen next season.

I was at the game. Didn’t hear Stewart but he’s generally one of the more honest and entertaining pundits.
Inverness played 120 minutes of ugly anti football. They were lucky to only lose 2 players to red cards. Broadfoot stated post match that they’d been practicing penalties all week. Says it all.

Well if there’s a chance of the game going to penalties then of course you’re going to practise them. You’d be stupid not to.

ICT absolutely played for penalties when they went down to 9 men and they were clearly right to as it payed off for them. However Devine should never have been sent off and I that changes the game when it happens.

The fact is that Arbroath had a massive help in playing against 9 men and for all they’ve done this season blew it when they couldn’t even score a goal against them. Bottled it I’d say.

49 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Michael Stewart and Billy Dodds............ BBC lovies.Β  Β 

Stewart's bias was clear to hear from the moment he opened his mouth.Β 

Literally every other pundit and co-Commentator and the commentator were wanting Thistle to beat us, and then Arbroath to beat us. Stewart was merely trying to counter their bias and refused to stick to the narrative.

Edited by TheScarf