šŸ‡±šŸ‡» Arbroath v ICTFC šŸ‡±šŸ‡ŗ - WILLIE COLLUM IN THE MUD

I think playoff games are a challenge for clubs unused to two-legged ties, the nearest being perhaps cup replays. Ā What the manager said beforehand (and Iā€™d agreed with).was we need to keep the tie alive for the second leg so that meant setting out the team to try and keep some control - unlike our last visit here when we were ragged and sloppy losing 3-0. Ā Weā€™ve been in playoff games going back in which the first leg score deflates prospects for any second leg turnaround. Ā Given also ICT have been on a very decent run these past few weeks. Arbroath seemed to play with 5 in the middle and only J Hamilton upfront, a bit isolated and reliant on the energetic McKenna and Low for offensive support. Ā Even Stewart in midfield rather than right back ventured forward only very occasionally and the two fullbacks barely at all, which is unusual. Ā 
Hence that seemed a disciplined performance last night. Ā After a promising start, ICT had more possession as expected but we continued to try and play some decent football. Ā Inevitable that we would be pushed back second half as the home team looked for some advantage to take into the second leg. Ā Still all to play for for both sides - so reasonably happy with that but under no illusions that odds remain 50:50. Ā 

I strongly object to having BOTH legs of the playoffs on workdays both for the players and the fans. Ā This is entirely a crass TV scheduling issue. Ā Given the delay before the playoff final is due, not sure why both canā€™t be at the weekend but at least one certainly could.

Apropos reasons for ICT struggling to win hearts and minds of Invernessians, Iā€™m sure the very inconvenient location of stadium, complete lack of public transport serving it plus exposure to weather are all contributory factors.

Edited by farflung lichtie
Additional point

44 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

Apropos reasons for ICT struggling to win hearts and minds of Invernessians, Iā€™m sure the very inconvenient location of stadium, complete lack of public transport serving it plus exposure to weather are all contributory factors.

Also, a lot of invernessians are glory hunting OF "supporters". There's more buses leaving Inverness for Rangers games than ICT games most weekends. Not an issue unique to Inverness of course but it doesn't help.

As for the game I agree with others who say we dominated the second half and we did have a decent number of chances but we were so wasteful. Gaston probably only had to save a small number of the chances we did create which showed how little we really tested him.

I must've been watching a different game.

At no point in that game did i think we were "holding on" "poor in the second half" etc etc.Ā 

Our keeper had one save to make the whole game, its all to play for but I was very surprised at Inverness, I thought they would've threw everything at us trying to get a lead but maybe they were happy enough to take it all square on Friday. I found the whole night a bit weird, very small home support for a play off semi final, it felt more like a run of the mill league game, with the reported tickets sold for Friday it will be completely different, expect Gayfield to be rocking and windy.

Think aside from that 10 minute spell where Chalmers, Samuels & Doran had decent chances it was a pretty even game. A lot of people in the Arbroath end crying out for more offensive subs towards the end but given dicks comments in the press about taking it back to gayfield we were always going to take the 0-0 once the game got past a certain stage.

10 hours ago, RiG said:

Probably for his laughable attempts feigning injury trying to get McAlear sent off.

Looked at that pantomime act last night when I got home and it's fuckin absolutely clear that MacAlear never touched the lad, a shameful immature attempt to smear a professional player. Probably the reason why he is in part time football.

Edited by SandyCromarty

21 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Think aside from that 10 minute spell where Chalmers, Samuels & Doran had decent chances it was a pretty even game. A lot of people in the Arbroath end crying out for more offensive subs towards the end but given dicks comments in the press about taking it back to gayfield we were always going to take the 0-0 once the game got past a certain stage.

Truth be told you would have a totally different perspective if you had been in the North stand in the second half.

Looked at that pantomime act last night when I got home and it's fuckin absolutely clear that MacAlear never touched the lad, a shameful immature attempt to smear a professional player. Probably the reason why he is in part time football.

Yeah thatā€™s absolutely it, hit the nail on the head.

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Admittedly Iā€™ve not watched it back again so could be wrong, but it looked to me that Oā€™Brien won the ball but his follow through caught MacAlear and he hurt himself, free kick to ICT. Donā€™t think he was play acting, heā€™s not that kind of player. Campbell reacted as if it was a bad foul but Iā€™m sure he would admit he got it wrong when he sees it again, could have looked bad from his angle.

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Admittedly Iā€™ve not watched it back again so could be wrong, but it looked to me that Oā€™Brien won the ball but his follow through caught MacAlear and he hurt himself, free kick to ICT. Donā€™t think he was play acting, heā€™s not that kind of player. Campbell reacted as if it was a bad foul but Iā€™m sure he would admit he got it wrong when he sees it again, could have looked bad from his angle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00179bp/sportscene-202122-premiership-playoff-semifinal-first-leg-inverness-ct-v-arbroath

It's at 01:35:40 (ish). Obviously I am coming at this with blue and red specs on but to me he is feigning injury and the Arbroath players are trying to get McAlear sent off. There's nothing in the tackle. Maybe, just maybe, his right leg tweaks something as he collides with McAlear but given the response from his team mates I am inclined to stick with my original thoughts on the incident.

1 minute ago, RiG said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00179bp/sportscene-202122-premiership-playoff-semifinal-first-leg-inverness-ct-v-arbroath

It's at 01:35:40 (ish). Obviously I am coming at this with blue and red specs on but to me he is feigning injury and the Arbroath players are trying to get McAlear sent off. There's nothing in the tackle. Maybe, just maybe, his right leg tweaks something as he collides with McAlear but given the response from his team mates I am inclined to stick with my original thoughts on the incident.

You could tell that Oā€™Brien injured himself to some extent in the challenge as he had treatment on that leg later - might have been a knock or a muscle tear/pull - and he wasnā€™t moving as freely as normal for the rest of the game. Sometimes the most innocuous challenge or incident can lead to injury. Due to the way he went down and depending on the angle that they saw it from, some of the AFC players and coaching staff may have thought it was a foul on him. I donā€™t think he was play acting.

You could tell that Oā€™Brien injured himself to some extent in the challenge as he had treatment on that leg later - might have been a knock or a muscle tear/pull - and he wasnā€™t moving as freely as normal for the rest of the game. Sometimes the most innocuous challenge or incident can lead to injury. Due to the way he went down and depending on the angle that they saw it from, some of the AFC players and coaching staff may have thought it was a foul on him. I donā€™t think he was play acting.

Hope TOB is ok. And good luck for your next game. Itā€™s been a long time since weā€™ve battled against each other, how times change.
You have the backing of many Cowden fans

34 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Fair enough. I'm not as convinced but as I say I'm looking at this through blue and red specs.

Sorry thought you were an Arbroath fan, meant for Arbroath fans.

I thought at first he was just running down the clock a bit but watching it back you could see how he got hurt and we are all now worried he wonā€™t be fully fit for Tuesday.