🇱🇻 Arbroath v ICTFC 🇱🇺 - WILLIE COLLUM IN THE MUD

13 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Ian Campbell at the game tonight.

After the two PT games I've no worries for our home tie but Gayfield with that narrow pitch will be a totally different game.

The Gayfield pitch isn’t particularly narrow. The playing surfaces at ICT and Arbroath are very similar - the same length, Gayfield is a whole 3m narrower 105x65 & 105x68.

Hibs fans were going on about the Gayfield pitch being tight before our cup game but it’s larger than many premiership pitches - Tynecastle, Dens, Tannadice, Pittodrie etc and very similar to others.

Edited by Tattie36

Reasons to feel positive - we have been on an excellent run of form at the end of the season. We have players emerge late in the season as important (Chalmers, Samuels, McAlear) who either haven’t been playing as well or weren’t with us earlier in the season. We have guys coming back after being out injured (Doran, McGregor, Allardice) who are important and give us good option. We have a good record against Arbroath this season, better than any other side in the division.

On the other hand, Arbroath don’t seem to have faded as lots of people thought they might (the form posted above shows they’ve had a strong end to the season), they have had some rest time since the end of the season and, without wanting to sound like a dickhead Old Firm fan, this has been such a huge season for them, their players and fans are going to be hugely motivated.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think it’s purely cause the fans are about a metre away from the park it seems tighter than what it is. Standing on the seaside at the front feels like you’re on the pitch

Have to say, I have never thought our pitch was narrow

1 hour ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Should be an easier game than Partick Thistle. Hoping for similar to a few weeks ago. The Arbroath fairytale has come to an end and they can now look forward to battle with Ayr and Airdrie for the relegation spots next season. 

3-0 The Caley

Chalmers x2, McKay

I’ve seen this opinion repeated often here, but I don’t follow it. We have had relegation form since January, while Arbroath have been decent in all that time. As such, Arbroath are a better side than us (by 13 points) and in better form. I’d be genuinely surprised if the game will be significantly easier for ICT

Enjoy yer pitch while it lasts as the days of synthetic pitches are numbered due to environmental impact with microplastic pollution now found in stadium area drains, plus players carry microplastic off the pitch on their boots.
The woke brigade are out to get you, and I doubt you have the money to relay a grass pitch.

Plastic pitches are going nowhere, they are probably more environmentally friendly than grass ones given that they are using recycled material and require less extensive use of water to keep them in good shape.

And Killie will have plenty of money to relay grass if we want (and I wouldn't be surprised if our manager did) given that we will have the lovely Premiership windfall as a result of brushing aside tinpot outfits like yours this season.

17 minutes ago, ecto said:

Have to say, I have never thought our pitch was narrow

That’s because it isn’t, it’s one of the largest pitches in the UK. it certainly used to be, admittedly this might be around a decade out of date. 

Edited by lichtiemike

59 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

If anything I’ve always though the length of the Gayfield pitch was quite long.

It used to be a bit longer (just under 108 metres) but was shortened to the standard 105 metres a few years back

Arbroath have lost 5 times in the league and two of those defeats have come against us most notably the 3-0 game back in March. They have won 17 games in the league we've won 16. Only 6 points ahead of us after the final day of the season. No reason why we can't beat Arbroath. It's going to be a tight affair that much is certain. 

2 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Should be an easier game than Partick Thistle. Hoping for similar to a few weeks ago. The Arbroath fairytale has come to an end and they can now look forward to battle with Ayr and Airdrie for the relegation spots next season. 

3-0 The Caley

Chalmers x2, McKay

Just love the underdog winning, especially against teams who think they are better. Perhaps the  final league positions are  the best  reminder  of who has the better team.

3-0 the smokies

Jack Hamilton hat trick...

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

The Gayfield pitch isn’t particularly narrow. The playing surfaces at ICT and Arbroath are very similar - the same length, Gayfield is a whole 3m narrower 105x65 & 105x68.

Hibs fans were going on about the Gayfield pitch being tight before our cup game but it’s larger than many premiership pitches - Tynecastle, Dens, Tannadice, Pittodrie etc and very similar to others.

I think you'll find Gayfield is 4 yards less than us but I won't argue.

That can make a whole lot of difference if teams are playing a wing game, defenders can close wingers down more quickly, you'll probably find that has been to your advantage this season.

2 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

That can make a whole lot of difference if teams are playing a wing game, defenders can close wingers down more quickly, you'll probably find that has been to your advantage this season.

No not really? 🤣

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

And Killie will have plenty of money to relay grass if we want (and I wouldn't be surprised if our manager did) given that we will have the lovely Premiership windfall as a result of brushing aside tinpot outfits like yours this season.

And yet the clubs supporters are continuing to spam lower league discussions about the play offs........Big fish, small pond syndrome......

Pretty well all our attacks are down the wings.

Plastic pitches are going nowhere, they are probably more environmentally friendly than grass ones given that they are using recycled material and require less extensive use of water to keep them in good shape.

I was under the impression plastic pitches are an environmental nightmare given the plastic pellets don’t biograde and get picked up in the wind .

10 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

The Arbroath fans are very cocky today. Will be great when they end up in the seaside leagues again by 2023.

As opposed to the arrogance/entitlement of Caley types.  Nothing wrong with these fine seaside leagues either.  This will be tough for the Lichties true but not entirely out of reach.  That dire showing 6 weeks ago apart, I’ve seen nothing between the sides in the other encounters. That March game at the Caley Stadium was lost by uncharacteristic shoddy defending and a dire start.  I’m hoping the tie still has something to play for by Friday.

36 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I was under the impression plastic pitches are an environmental nightmare given the plastic pellets don’t biograde and get picked up in the wind .

Correct, the English FA have banned them from their four leagues but allow them at conference level, the problem is the the plastic infill granules which are used to improve the playing surface, the granules are made from waste tyres, the granules are either blown off the pitch are carried off on boots and gear, they go straight into drains and have an evironment impact.

The Killie fool who earlier posted that there was nothing wrong with the pitches is just that, a fool.