🇱🇻 Arbroath v ICTFC 🇱🇺 - WILLIE COLLUM IN THE MUD

7 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Arbroath finished 13th in 1973-74, so one place higher than this season.

Cheers for adding the detail ... so this season pretty well matched their endeavours back then.  Hats off etc ... 👍

29 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah, I figured someone would pop that question and thought about qualifying what I said in my original post at the time.

My memory (without checking detailed stats ... as you know, I'm too lazy for that) is of Arbroath being in the top tier in the 70s.  So yes, it was a two tier structure back then and I think the top league was something like 18 teams.  So Arbroath finishing second in the Championship would equate to being 14th in the overall league structure this season and hence safely being clear of relegation in terms of the early 70's league structure.

My point was that old gits like me can recall Arbroath featuring in the top flight - albeit that the top flight from the 60s/70s was indeed a different beast (size) to that of the current sad cartel (ooops, sorry, "top flight").

In the initial post, I also referred to "form" that exceeded that in living memory. 

Finishing 13th overall one year in the 70s can certainly be compared (probably favourably) to this year in terms of achievement. 

In terms of winning lots of matches against bigger, full-time sides though - ie form - this one could arguably be seen as more impressive.

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They wear headsets so I'm sure he did confer with the assistant.

Even if they did communicate, surely it still would have made sense to go over and speak to the linesman, if for no other reason it would have diffused the situation perhaps. I genuinely don't think they did communicate however as the linesman never flagged at all over the incident and was still running towards the corner flag. Collum guessed at his decision and got it badly wrong. 

43 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah, I figured someone would pop that question and thought about qualifying what I said in my original post at the time.

My memory (without checking detailed stats ... as you know, I'm too lazy for that) is of Arbroath being in the top tier in the 70s.  So yes, it was a two tier structure back then and I think the top league was something like 18 teams.  So Arbroath finishing second in the Championship would equate to being 14th in the overall league structure this season and hence safely being clear of relegation in terms of the early 70's league structure.

My point was that old gits like me can recall Arbroath featuring in the top flight - albeit that the top flight from the 60s/70s was indeed a different beast (size) to that of the current sad cartel (ooops, sorry, "top flight").

13th, I believe is our top flight, performance 73/74, I think

1 hour ago, timlichtie said:

I was at the game. Didn’t hear Stewart but he’s generally one of the more honest and entertaining pundits.
Inverness played 120 minutes of ugly anti football. They were lucky to only lose 2 players to red cards. Broadfoot stated post match that they’d been practicing penalties all week. Says it all.

Only one team played anti football over the two legs and it wasn't ICT. Remember Arbroath trying to get McAlear sent off in the first leg when your player wasn't even touched by him 

Even if they did communicate, surely it still would have made sense to go over and speak to the linesman, if for no other reason it would have diffused the situation perhaps. I genuinely don't think they did communicate however as the linesman never flagged at all over the incident and was still running towards the corner flag. Collum guessed at his decision and got it badly wrong. 

Did Jack Hamilton win the ball? Yes. Was he past the defender? Yes. Did the defender put his arms round Hamilton and bring him down? Yes. Was he the last man? Yes. Would VAR have changed the decision? no. I was standing level with it. It was obvious. What’s your problem?

15 minutes ago, Huisdean50 said:

Only one team played anti football over the two legs and it wasn't ICT. Remember Arbroath trying to get McAlear sent off in the first leg when your player wasn't even touched by him 

Arbroath are the most direct team in the league. They go long to Hamilton (previously Nouble) to knock it down to McKenna. Seems to work most of the time.  It’s highly ironic an Arbroath fan slating another team’s style. 

Did Jack Hamilton win the ball? Yes. Was he past the defender? Yes. Did the defender put his arms round Hamilton and bring him down? Yes. Was he the last man? Yes. Would VAR have changed the decision? no. I was standing level with it. It was obvious. What’s your problem?

He didn’t have his arms around him though. Devine fell to the ground and as he does he can obviously feel contact and throws himself down. Anyone with eyes and a brain knows it’s not a red.

26 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

My problem is that Collum couldn't possibly have seen that from where he was positioned.  Your player wasn't past the defender as both were falling and there is no way he would have got the ball even if he had stayed on his feet, difficult for Arbroath players I know. Irrelevant now as Arbroath were found out for what they were all season, a one trick pony with no ability to play differently. 

He didn’t have his arms around him though. Devine fell to the ground and as he does he can obviously feel contact and throws himself down. Anyone with eyes and a brain knows it’s not a red.

So it’s yes to everything except “he didn’t have his arms round him” (which he clearly did) - but he did bring him down. Ah well, doesn’t matter now.

3 hours ago, timlichtie said:

I was at the game. Didn’t hear Stewart but he’s generally one of the more honest and entertaining pundits.
Inverness played 120 minutes of ugly anti football. They were lucky to only lose 2 players to red cards. Broadfoot stated post match that they’d been practicing penalties all week. Says it all.

Of course you practice penalties ! Why wouldn’t you ? If the prize is potentially massive for your club . I wouldn’t say Arbroath are pleasing to the eye at times Inverness done what they had to with 9 men it was Arbroath’s fault they couldn’t find a way past. 

The best opportunity to win last night was when ICT went down to 9 due to injury in the second half. You knew that when they got that 10th player back in extra time that it was going to go to penalties.

As soon as they went to 9 we should have brought on Wighton or/and Ford and thrown the kitchen sink at it. They were still doubling up on Linn and J Hamilton so putting extra players up front would have opened the space a bit more. This season has proved that we have a huge issue with breaking down ICT (one goal in 570 minutes of football) so extra attacking bodies in the box and throwing the ball in at every opportunity was the only way to do it - imo.

Yet again bringing Donnelly on was a big mistake - as has been said a million and one times, he’s a good player but is not effective when chasing a goal. just not the right choice in a close, tight, physical game and his goal scoring record is abysmal. By my reckoning, his last league goal was over two years ago and his bent double weird attempt from 3 yards near the end when he just needed to attack the ball with any available body part, sums him up completely.

Crap symmetry that our season was bookmarked by tight games ending in defeat to ICT.

Edited by Tattie36