Quiz.

Guest Bully Wee For Me

OK then, not Collins. Kyle has been based in England all his career.

To recap, the three I was thinking of were

Earnshaw

Weir

Dailly

The floor is open...

:blink:

What difference does it make that Collins is on loan (if indeed he is on loan :unsure: Why on earth would a Premiership team "borrow" a player from a Scottish second division side?)?

Regardless of whether he's on loan or not he's a valid answer. There must be more than that surely? :unsure:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What difference does it make that Collins is on loan (if indeed he is on loan :unsure: Why on earth would a Premiership team "borrow" a player from a Scottish second division side?)?

Regardless of whether he's on loan or not he's a valid answer. There must be more than that surely? :unsure:

He definitely is not on loan from us! He went on loan to Hartlepool from Sunderland earlier this season, but the transfer from DFC was permanent.

He's on loan from Sunderland to Hartlepool and hasn't played for Sunderland this season. Which rules him out of being an answer on the same grounds as Iain Turner, who was on loan at Wycombe for most of this season, but hasn't played since returning to Goodison.

Done some research. Scots and Others who have played in Scotland in the Premiership:-

Arsenal - None (Jeremy Aliadiere was a Celtic player briefly)

Aston Villa - None (though Ulises de la Cruz played for Hibernian. Was he there in their brief sojourn in division one?)

Birmingham City - None (Tebily and Sutton played for Celtic)

Blackburn Rovers - Paul Dickov, Dominic Matteo (also Craig Bellamy (Celtic), Lorenzo Amoruso (Rangers), Zurab Khizanishvili (Dundee, Rangers) and Michael Gray (Celtic) played in Scotland) To the best of my knowledge none of these players played outside the SPL and neither Dickov nor Matteo ever played club football up here.

Bolton Wanderers - None (Fabrice Fernandes played briefly for Rangers)

Charlton Athletic - None (Jonatan Johansson, Thomas Myrhe and Franny Jeffers have all played for Rangers).

Chelsea - None

Everton - Gary Naysmith, David Weir, Duncan Ferguson, James McFadden, Iain Turner (Mikkel Arteta (Rangers), Alan Stubbs (Celtic)) Iain Turner obviously played in the SFL but hasn't played for Everton this season as yet. David Weir is obviously one of the correct answers. I don't think the other three played outside the SPL did they?

Fulham - Billy McKinlay might still be registered as a player with them? It's not clear. In any event he hasn't kicked a ball for them in the premiership this season. (Anti Niemi (Rangers, Hearts) and Tony Warner (Celtic) played up here but not in the SFL).

Liverpool - None

Manchester City - None (Claudio Reyna played for Rangers)

Manchester United - Darren Fletcher. Never played any club football in Scotland though.

Middlesbrough - None (Agathe however would be an answer if he is successful in his trial).

Newcastle United - None (Jean-Alain Boumsong (Rangers), Craig Moore (Rangers), Shay Given (Celtic) have allplayed up here though). we nearly signed Alan O'Brien on loan last August too who might have been another one, depends what you count as playing. He's only been an unused sub in Newcastle's first team.

Portsmouth - Richard Hughes but he never played club football up here (Gregory Vignal (Rangers) has also played in Scotland).

Sunderland - Tommy Miller, Kevin Kyle, Steven Caldwell, Neill Collins, Andy Gray but only Collins has played club football here.

Tottenham Hotspur - None

West Bromwich Albion - None (Robert Earnshaw has played up here for Morton though and is answer two to the question)

West Ham United - Christian Dailly (is answer three after being part of Dundee United's brief visit to division one apparently).

Wigan Athletic - Lee McCulloch, Gary Teale, Stephen McMillan (Henri Camara, Stephane Henchoz and Emerson Thome all had brief spells with Celtic though). Teale is the original answer of course whilst so far as I know McCulloch and McMillan only ever played for Motherwell in the SPL up here.

So unless Ulises de la Cruz was a Hibs player in the first divison (which I don't think he was) then it's just the four names so far this season.

EDITED because David W ppointed out by rather obvious faux pas!

He's on loan from Sunderland to Hartlepool and hasn't played for Sunderland this season. Which rules him out of being an answer on the same grounds as Iain Turner, who was on loan at Wycombe for most of this season, but hasn't played since returning to Goodison.

He most certainly HAS played for Sunderland this season. he played in the FA Cup tie against Northwich weekend before last. Whether he's played in the Premiership I'm not sure (and Soccerbase appears to be down at the moment)

Sunderland - Tommy Miller, Kevin Kyle, Steven Caldwell, Neill Collins, Andy Gray but only Collins has played club football here (Anthony Le Tallec was a Celtic player for about five minutes this season)

When did that happen :o

Sure you don't mean Aliadiere :unsure::huh:

When did that happen :o

Sure you don't mean Aliadiere :unsure::huh:

:oops

Maybe I have the wrong useless French diddy! Was Le Tallec somewhere else on loan then? I'm sure it wasn't his first.

And where did Aliadiere go? He should be on the list instead if he's still in the Premiership somewhere.

I'll edit the previous post!

:oops

Maybe I have the wrong useless French diddy! Was Le Tallec somewhere else on loan then? I'm sure it wasn't his first.

And where did Aliadiere go? He should be on the list instead if he's still in the Premiership somewhere.

I'll edit the previous post!

Le Tallec was abroad somewhere, probably in France, though that was last season.

Aliadiere was last seen on loan at West Ham I think :unsure:

He's back at Sunderland, and indeed scored in their FA Cup game the other week!

I already pointed that out a page ago. ;)

I noticed after I'd posted, but couldn't be arsed deleting my previous post. Pah, who reads these threads anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, David Bentley became the first player to score a Premiership hat-trick against Manchester Urinal. Who was the last player to score a top-flight hat-trick against the Mancs and who was he playing for?

The only "famous" hat-trick in "recent" years was Dennis Bailey's for QPR at Old Trafford. That attracted a huge slice of mdia interest which is why it sticks in my mind so clearly.

Archived