Morocco - specifically Marrakesh.

Off to Marrakesh with Mrs Wrk and a couple of the Rosettes in September. We had a cracking time when the two of us went to Agadir back in 2019, so looking forward to returning to the Desert Kingdom. Marrakesh is hundreds of clicks from the coast, however, so frolicking in the Atlantic surf is not an option this time round. The hotel has a massive water park and loads of pools, but I like to get out and about to explore the locale. Obviously the Medina and associated areas will be high on the list, but I was hoping the P&B massive can help with any suggestions for:

1. places of interest in the city itself, and 

2. Places which are worth making an effort to get to on a day trip.

There will be five of us - Two in our fifties and three (including one boyfriend) in their twenties. All fit and healthy so walking ain't an issue. I'm assuming things have changed a bit since the days of Michener's "drifters" and other hippies, but I kinda like that vibe, so wouldn't mind if a similar atmosphere prevails anywhere.

Help us out, P&B!

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Off to Marrakesh with Mrs Wrk and a couple of the Rosettes in September. We had a cracking time when the two of us went to Agadir back in 2019, so looking forward to returning to the Desert Kingdom. Marrakesh is hundreds of clicks from the coast, however, so frolicking in the Atlantic surf is not an option this time round. The hotel has a massive water park and loads of pools, but I like to get out and about to explore the locale. Obviously the Medina and associated areas will be high on the list, but I was hoping the P&B massive can help with any suggestions for:

There will be five of us - Two in our fifties and three (including one boyfriend) in their twenties. All fit and healthy so walking ain't an issue. I'm assuming things have changed a bit since the days of Michener's "drifters" and other hippies, but I kinda like that vibe, so wouldn't mind if a similar atmosphere prevails anywhere.

Help us out, P&B!

Not much help I'm afraid, I was there in the Seventies but despite what you said is Essaouira just about doable on a day trip. I remember it being very chilled out after the other places I'd been. Ask for Hassan down by the pier, he'll sort you out with some magnificent opium laced double zero at a very reasonable price. Marrakesh is a bit hazy..

Edited by welshbairn

Wife and I were there in 2011, loved it. Great city to walk about, safe and nice folk.

The Medina obviously is a must, we got ripped off by a ''guide'' - but not threatening at all. Amazing stalls and great and you have to haggle to buy things.

The square, Place Jemaa el Fna is amazing. There is a nice cafe/pub that overlooks, Le Grand Balcon, that is great for people watching during the day. At around 5 o'clock loads of restaurants are set up in the square from wheelbarrows, brilliant to see and nice food. Plenty of chances to get your photo taken with monkeys or the bands that are walking about.

Yves Saint Laurent garden is a nice oasis in the city - a hangover from the days of the hippy trail and the Stones etc

We done a day trip up the Atlas Mountains to a Berber village and restaurant -really good

Enjoy

I've been twice - most recently November 2019.

You can easily spend a day or two wandering around the Medina. Haggling isn't everyone's thing, but I quite enjoyed the process. Still probably came away having paid substantially more than things were worth, but felt we did OK.

Really enjoyed the bike tour we did - it was with a company called Pikala Bikes. 3-4 hours around the city with knowledgeable and fun guides.

Yves Saint Laurent gardens was interesting - go early to beat the queues.

Essaouria is a good three hours from Marrakech - I'd suggest spending a couple of nights if you were making the trip.

Also did day trips to the Atlas Mountains (great scenery, but had a rubbish guide) and Cascades d'Ouzoud (huge waterfall, lovely chilled out place).

Also it was my birthday while we were there and we went for a meal at Le Grand Cafe de la Poste, which was quite fancy but definitely affordable by Scottish prices.

Edited by Adamski

Been a few times to Morocco, if you get a chance take a trip out to Imlil, a nice wee village with a few walks to give you the sense of Toubkal and the Atlas mountains. I have also been to Ouarzazate which is quite a nice town giving you the sense of the desert, there is a huge film studio/industry here where you can visit loads of sets. I also carried on to Mhamid which maybe a bit far but you can do a night or 2 sleeping in the desert then drive to the dunes and explore by camel for like about 100 euro for 2 nights.

IMAG0520.jpg

IMAG0528.jpg

IMG_20190925_104107467.jpg

IMG_20190925_160408228.jpg

Edited by dirty dingus

I’m booked to go to marrakech in just under 2 weeks time. Booked a day trip to Ouarzazete with stops along the way to see the Atlas Mountains. Really looking forward to it, all the photos I’ve seen look a little reminiscent to Petra in a way. Will let you know of any other great trips or sights we come across when we’re there!

12 minutes ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Going in July. Read other day they want proof of PCR test. Is this correct?

For now, yes, hopefully it will be dumped before you go.

https://www.visitmorocco.com/en/travel-info/covid-19-travel-safely-to-morocco

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco/entry-requirements#entry-rules-in-response-to-coronavirus-covid-19

I absolutely hated Jemaa el-Fnaa when I went to Marrakech. Felt it was something I had to go and see; a bit like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower. I knew I would just get people trying to flog me stuff and generally hassled, which is exactly what happened. 

Seemingly they now have tourist police and the level of hassle has dropped as a result. 

On 18/05/2022 at 12:27, Michael W said:

I absolutely hated Jemaa el-Fnaa when I went to Marrakech. Felt it was something I had to go and see; a bit like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower. I knew I would just get people trying to flog me stuff and generally hassled, which is exactly what happened. 

Seemingly they now have tourist police and the level of hassle has dropped as a result. 

I was there about 10 years ago and they'd apparently just introduced tourist police, didn't see them and got hassled.

I loved Marrakesh but hated some of the hassle, it was a bit much at times.

Just back from marrakech! Had an amazing time. A day trip to Agafe is a must. It’s only an hour and a half or so drive until you are fairly well into the desert and the views are spectacular. 

4B3A1A6E-0152-4A3C-8E86-BE13AF4D5DCA.thumb.jpeg.4561ff9b5127108906e0a10b1e4e9c87.jpeg

E017FBF1-EBA7-4279-ADB5-E2332BC2CC52.thumb.jpeg.d5728421c50d296cf6193a1962a4ae07.jpeg

Personally didn’t think Ouarzazate was worth the 4 hour journey each way. However, Ait Ben Haddou was stunning.

C1376FC1-D20C-45F3-BFFF-2EF6D57D87D6.thumb.jpeg.05e0d7420f61468f942597d25c7b9276.jpeg

96B20077-D997-4E06-A806-CB9427671EF4.thumb.jpeg.52acb05644277c4fb9125365c320908c.jpeg

The El Badi and Bahia palaces in marrakech itself are well worth a visit too. If you stay in the Medina they are walkable as well.

89A9658B-D774-405A-A231-06D2559EBA08.thumb.jpeg.7347b3f3d6f39c78cc73fb0b0cd7d5e6.jpeg

The only thing I’d strongly recommend avoiding is the Yves St Lauren museum which costs the equivalent of £10 to spend about 5 minutes looking at everything there is.
The majorelle gardens and royal tombs were also good trips out in marrakech itself. Jamaal en Fna was great at night but quiet in the day. In the day, the square next to the El Badi palace was busier and is next to the Jewish quarter which has the cheapest local markets for souvenirs etc.

• 4 months later...
On 05/05/2022 at 20:36, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Help us out, P&B!

How did you get on?

Has anyone been to Morocco in January?

• 1 year later...

There's an ATM and a bureau de change at the airport. The ATM may be better value depending on what fees you will be charged for using your card abroad. 

If you're using a bureau de change, don't take Scottish notes and make sure the notes that you have are in pristine condition as they can get funny about this. Maybe this is less of an issue since the move to plastic bank notes, but I had a couple of notes rejected because they weren't happy with the condition of them. There was absolutely nothing wrong them!

Edited by Michael W

On 10/01/2024 at 21:03, highlandmac said:

Myself&the Mrs off to Marrakesh next month.im a bit concerned about not being able to get any Moroccan money before I go,given that we'll need to get from the airport to the city.any advice?

Might be worth taking some Euros in case of emergencies, locals will be more used to them.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Might be worth taking some Euros in case of emergencies, locals will be more used to them.

Aye,was thinking that,got about 50 from my last trip away so sure that'll tide me over until I get some sterling changed