Northern Ireland Assembly Election 2022

46 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Listening to Boris Johnson waffling on the late News last night, about the confusion and complexities caused by the NI Protocol. Three times in the space of sixty seconds he was asked, but this is your arrangement, it is your agreement, your proposal, YOU signed it, didn’t you Prime Minister??
He genuinely thinks it’s someone else’s doing. His position seems to be ‘yes I signed it, but I didn’t really understand how it might work in practice’. Incredible.

"A big boy signed it and ran away".

On 13/05/2022 at 15:46, Clown Job said:

If it’s a choice between a crap trade deal with the EU and keeping unionist in NI happy…

Reality is NI just isn’t worth it. 

It's less about keeping the Unionists happy than the Kippers in England, Johnson (or maybe Cummings) read the polls in 2019 that said approx. 60% of Leavers would be happy to let NI & Scotland go if it secured Brexit - Johnson will fuck the Unionists again if&when it suits him.

4 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Any polls to suggest the majority of NI are against the protocol?

Or is this another case of the noisy minority receiving far too much media attention for an issue that really isn’t seen as a problem for most 

John Redwood: B-b-but, yes, the fabric of communities … the EU intends to bully us and threaten the fabric of communities in Northern Ireland. It’s the very fabric of Northern Ireland’s communities that the EU is attempting to threaten.

5 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Any polls to suggest the majority of NI are against the protocol?

Or is this another case of the noisy minority receiving far too much media attention for an issue that really isn’t seen as a problem for most 

Not sure about polls but they’ve just had an election and…

On 17/05/2022 at 18:22, Jacksgranda said:

...37% of the eligible electorate didn't vote.

The Glasgow Evening Times did an article a couple of days after the local council elections here showing local councillors being elected on 4 and 5 % of the total eligible vote.

I'd guess it wouldn't be that much different in parts of Greater Belfast depending on the election or referendum.

101 reasons why people don't vote.

I'd guess most non voters in N.I. are happy enough be it King Billy or King Kong running the place.

Chaining up the swings, closing the pubs on a Sunday, complete shutdown of dance halls by midnight on Saturday would seem bizarre now.

Yet that's what local councils got up to in my childhood in Scotland and N.I.

Admit that recent cash for ash scheme in N.I. seemed pretty tasty.

On 17/05/2022 at 15:18, btb said:

It's less about keeping the Unionists happy than the Kippers in England, Johnson (or maybe Cummings) read the polls in 2019 that said approx. 60% of Leavers would be happy to let NI & Scotland go if it secured Brexit - Johnson will fuck the Unionists again if&when it suits him.

The irony is though that the NIP could wind up being of net benefit to NI economically in a way that messes up the world view of the kippers and SF as well as the DUP.

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

...Chaining up the swings, closing the pubs on a Sunday, complete shutdown of dance halls by midnight on Saturday would seem bizarre now...

On the bright side at least Stormont didn't try to ban contraception when folk got home from the dancing. Having any particular religious denomination dictating public policy is something that is best avoided and is something the RoI has also moved on from making a united Ireland less daunting as a prospect for Ulster Unionists than it was 50 years ago.

Part of me thinks the UI idea or ballot/poll idea is overhyped by certain folks to keep others onboard.

Think most folk could live with N.I. remaining Brìtish but run along the lines of Belfast City Council.

Throw in it being more Irish Ireland N.I. ie things like a Irish Language Act and a liberal society to placate the 21st Century version of the growing middle class.

Loyal Order parades and bonfires, no problem because "themmuns" aren't actually in control of the place pre 1972 Stormont style.

From recent visits post pandemic i knew the place had changed when i saw the cops on push bikes.

Not exactly the Gaza Strip, is it!!!

4 hours ago, Glenconner said:

The Glasgow Evening Times did an article a couple of days after the local council elections here showing local councillors being elected on 4 and 5 % of the total eligible vote.

I'd guess it wouldn't be that much different in parts of Greater Belfast depending on the election or referendum.

101 reasons why people don't vote.

I'd guess most non voters in N.I. are happy enough be it King Billy or King Kong running the place.

Chaining up the swings, closing the pubs on a Sunday, complete shutdown of dance halls by midnight on Saturday would seem bizarre now.

Yet that's what local councils got up to in my childhood in Scotland and N.I.

Admit that recent cash for ash scheme in N.I. seemed pretty tasty.

I remember that, too.