Northern Ireland Assembly Election 2022

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Your. You keep demanding intelligent debate, explain how there can be frictionless trade within the island of Ireland and also between the UK and NI without regulatory alignment.

Damn predictive text!

I've never demanded intelligent debate at all.  What I've done is point out that I won't rise to the bait when people dish out personal, abusive nonsense.  Saying things such as 'If you fancy debating reasonably then get back to me'.  They can take it or leave it.

Between the UK and NI?  That makes no sense.  NI is part of the UK.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

19 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Somehow, I don't think that Irish republicans consider the UK to be "the country". I'm pretty sure that they would consider "the country" to be a united Irish republic, with no land border. 

There's no trade border at the moment. Is this a Brexit dividend for Sinn Fein?

Of course they don't consider the UK a country.

Brexit dividend for Sinn Fein?  You've lost me.

8 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Of course they don't consider the UK a country.

Brexit dividend for Sinn Fein?  You've lost me.

Brexit has currently ensured that (for trade purposes) northern ireland is aligned with Eire and is not aligned with GB. I'll bet Sinn Fein are delighted with this situation.

Just now, Duries Air Freshener said:

Of course they are, but we'll see what happens with the protocol.

As someone has already poited out, putting a trade barrier between the north and the south of Ireland will breach the GFA & f*ck trade agreements with the US.

The only way I can see for the Irish Sea border to be removed is by the whole UK adopting EU standards.

What's your solution?

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

As someone has already poited out, putting a trade barrier between the NI and Ireland will breach the GFA & f*ck trade agreements with the US.

The only way I can see for the Irish Sea border to be removed is by the whole UK adopting EU standards.

What's your solution?

Why would I have to have a solution?  I'm not a politician.

What I care about more than anything is protecting the integrity of the United Kingdom.  Having trade barriers within a country is ridiculous.  I simply don't trust what people like you and Welshbairn say about the GFA, regulatory alignment and a trade agreement with the US.  I've watched how you both post and it could hardly be described as balanced and non-partisan.

The rhetoric from the Tories is good, but let's see if they follow it up with action.

38 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

What I care about more than anything is protecting the integrity of the United Kingdom.  Having trade barriers within a country is ridiculous.  I simply don't trust what people like you and Welshbairn say about the GFA, regulatory alignment and a trade agreement with the US.  I've watched how you both post and it could hardly be described as balanced and non-partisan.

The rhetoric from the Tories is good, but let's see if they follow it up with action.

You don't half talk some bollocks. I would go on from here and point out the bleeding fucking obvious but what's the point - this has been on repeat since May's deal was rejected.

2 minutes ago, HTG said:

You don't half talk some bollocks. I would go on from here and point out the bleeding fucking obvious but what's the point - this has been on repeat since May's deal was rejected.

Thanks for the pleasant reply HTG.  You're a true ray of sunshine and happiness amongst all the doom and gloom.

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

That’s fine, trust Bill Keating and Brendan Boyle (who’s likely going to be the US envoy to Northern Ireland) instead 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/us-politicians-warn-british-overriding-protocol-would-threaten-belfast-accord-1.4875415

40 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

That’s fine, trust Bill Keating and Brendan Boyle (who’s likely going to be the US envoy to Northern Ireland) instead 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/us-politicians-warn-british-overriding-protocol-would-threaten-belfast-accord-1.4875415

Politicians say things to promote narratives that are in their interests or that of allies.

I’d rather listen to our own government about something to do with our own country.

5 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I’m honestly conflicted by this.  U.S. politicians sticking their noses into U.K. politics is something I find hard to support.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m honestly conflicted by this.  U.S. politicians sticking their noses into U.K. politics is something I find hard to support.

In principle I might agree with you and there are plenty of individuals including Mo Mowlam and others who deserve praise but I'm not convinced the GFA would have got off the ground without them. There is a legitimate interest here.

And even if there isn't, and even if they're sticking their noses in where its not wanted. They are, and it's not a good idea to piss off Joe genuinely Irish O'Biden.