Metal Detecting

On 05/05/2022 at 13:50, microdave said:

I've only tried it once. I'd lost my specs after a drunken night out and ,a week later, borrowed one to find them. After about an hour of searching in hedges and undergrowth, one of my neighbours asked what I was doing. I told him and was informed that he'd found them by the side of the road the morning after I'd lost them. 

Similar story.

Mate had a big party on the night of a champions league final years ago. We drank far too much then decided to play football in the garden in the dark.

After about ten minutes we realised we couldnt play football even before we drank for the entire afternoon first, so packed it in. As soon as we got inside I realised my wedding ring was gone.

Played it cool with the wife for the next 36 hours, then the minute she went to work on the Monday I went to Maplin, bought a cheap metal detector and snuck into my mates garden. Took me the thick end of an hour but I found it, then sold the metal detector on eBay for a £10 loss. Well worth it.

On 05/05/2022 at 13:56, tamthebam said:

You won't make any money in Scotland if you find something as our laws are different from England's. 

When we were kids my old man got a loan of a metal detector so we went down to Porty beach. I had dreams of finding lost pirate treasure. All I found was the aluminium foil dish off a steak pie. 

Are you sure? I thought that boy that found the Galloway Hoard got a reward. You have to report funds to Treasure Trove.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Are you sure? I thought that boy that found the Galloway Hoard got a reward. You have to report funds to Treasure Trove.

You're right. Maybe I should have said "you won't make as much money as you might in England"

Just the thrill of finding something interesting would be reward enough for me (he said, lying)

Incidentally, and Fun Facts thread for this pish, but one of the first practical metal detectors was a mine detector invented by Lieutenant Josef Kosacki of the Free Polish Army in World War Two and tested at St Andrew's beach.