Metal Detecting

27 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Listened to an item on Radio Scotland this morning, and thought I might be up for a spot of that.

Any P&Bers had any experience in metal-detecting?

I always had a fancy to try it..

there's a bloke here in Denny who sells and organises 'digs' but with covid I haven't got round to it..

maybe once this all blows over..

getting 'Permissions' to detect is the problem I think

I've only tried it once. I'd lost my specs after a drunken night out and ,a week later, borrowed one to find them. After about an hour of searching in hedges and undergrowth, one of my neighbours asked what I was doing. I told him and was informed that he'd found them by the side of the road the morning after I'd lost them. 

Illegal where i am but that doesnt stop me MWAAHAHAHA.

Its hard to find somewhere thats not been a tip at some point. If people have access its usually full of bottle caps and cans.

I found a cool old iron needle. Not sure exactly what it is. Maybe from fishing nets or weaving.

20210424_014854.jpg

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Listened to an item on Radio Scotland this morning, and thought I might be up for a spot of that.

Any P&Bers had any experience in metal-detecting?

If you haven't seen The Detectorists you're in for a treat.

You won't make any money in Scotland if you find something as our laws are different from England's. 

When we were kids my old man got a loan of a metal detector so we went down to Porty beach. I had dreams of finding lost pirate treasure. All I found was the aluminium foil dish off a steak pie. 

59 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The people that do it are usually ones for the watching.

True; it's occurred to me that it might be fun.

On a similar tack, throwing a big f**k-off electromagnet on a rope into canals seems to have become popular. Only problem is, you're expected to dispose of all the shite you dredge up, and you can get fined for fly tipping if you leave it on the bank/chuck it back in. Fairly amusing.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

On a similar tack, throwing a big f**k-off electromagnet on a rope into canals seems to have become popular. Only problem is, you're expected to dispose of all the shite you dredge up, and you can get fined for fly tipping if you leave it on the bank/chuck it back in. Fairly amusing.

Used one to try to find the canal boat keys I dropped, all I got was hunners of 3 inch nails. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Used one to try to find the canal boat keys I dropped, all I got was hunners of 3 inch nails. 

Christ, what had @sjc been up to?

(GBNF)

21 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

You won't make any money in Scotland if you find something as our laws are different from England's. 

When we were kids my old man got a loan of a metal detector so we went down to Porty beach. I had dreams of finding lost pirate treasure. All I found was the aluminium foil dish off a steak pie. 

One man's trash is another man's treasure - Fray Bentos

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The people that do it are usually ones for the watching.

Radio DJ's and metal detectors. Two of the most definite 'needing an eye kept on' types, IMO. 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I took a detector to Aberlady Bay, took fucking ages to find this.

See the source image

I tried it at porty during my lunch break.  Thing was beeping like mad, dug for ages and ages but found nothing. 

Turns out I still I had my safety boots on.

18 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Illegal where i am but that doesnt stop me MWAAHAHAHA.

Its hard to find somewhere thats not been a tip at some point. If people have access its usually full of bottle caps and cans.

I found a cool old iron needle. Not sure exactly what it is. Maybe from fishing nets or weaving.

20210424_014854.jpg

Looks like someone has tried to literally shit through the eye of a needle.

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

My good sir, by British law for many centuries, any such artefact so acquired is automatically the property of her Majesty the Queen.  As such, should you as a loyal subject find such 'shit', you are hereby required to send it to Buckingham Palace immediately and without delay.

HTH

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

My good sir, by British law for many centuries, any such artefact so acquired is automatically the property of her Majesty the Queen.  As such, should you as a loyal subject find such 'shit', you are hereby required to send it to Buckingham Palace immediately and without delay.

HTH

To save money, I'll include them with my regular shipments of cowpats.

Doing my bit for Britain!