Ireland v scotland

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Bonner saying Irish players can’t move over to the UK until they’re 18 now because of Brexit 

Surely that isn’t correct? 

They can move over, there’s freedom of movement. But their registrations can’t be transferred until they’re 18. Hence why there’s a good few Irish players moving to Italy at the minute, because their registrations can transfer in the EU at 16.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The problem with McTominay in midfield is he drops his runners lets hope his positioning is better.

McTominay seems a bit dense. Maybe a bit unfair but he clearly lacks awareness and a solid reading the game. His favourite hobbies include standing still watching the ball float in to the 6 yard box.

Edited by red23

The games like this where the opposition don’t look great and we should get a good win make me really nervous. Despite the results I think Ireland might be better than Armenia, so I’ll be happy for us just to do the job and get the points. 

2 minutes ago, red23 said:

McTominay seems a bit dense. Maybe a bit unfair but he clearly lacks awareness and a solid reading the game

I think that's why Clarke puts him in the back 3 to improve his awareness moving him into the middle you need to be more switched on without the ball.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

The games like this where the opposition don’t look great and we should get a good win make me really nervous. Despite the results I think Ireland might be better than Armenia, so I’ll be happy for us just to do the job and get the points. 

I think if this was almost any other country we were playing, I’d be less worried. Like, if we were playing a Slovenia side with the same set of players and the same honking form, I’d be quite relaxed presently.

However, the fact that it’s Ireland changes that for some reason. Probably because they’ve been turgid dogshit for ages, but spent most of that time still able to get results. 

On 10/05/2022 at 13:48, TheScarf said:

They were spawny b*****ds in their qualifying groups for years.  Didn't they have teams like Switzerland and Denmark (or someone as equally as 2nd/3rd tier quality side) as top seeds in theirs for about 10 years?  Finishing 2nd then getting the lowest ranked team in any play off?

We were getting teams like France, Spain, Italy in the same time period.  I'm probably well off with the teams but you get where I'm going.  One lucky qualifying draw can elevate your seeding for the 3 or 4 it seemed for Ireland.

My personal favourite was the time when we managed to get 3 of the previous WC quarter finalists in our EC qualification group & still nearly qualified.

That Ireland line up is absolutely honking. Feels a bit nervy due it being Ireland, and i still have flashbacks to that team of cloggers (albeit a better bunch of cloggers than they currently have) beating us to Euro 2016 qualification - but realistically if we're serious about our own progression, where we currently are as a squad and where we're trying to get to, then we should be beating that side without too much fuss. 

Ireland 1 - 1 Scotland.