Ireland v scotland

They have a couple of good players. I managed to watch the first half of their game this morning and they weren't outplayed, weren't particularly weak defensively. Just seemed to struggle to get out of the Ukrainians high press (Like we did) and like all the pundits said lacked much penetration through the Ukrainian shape. I think the results paint a slightly unfair picture of them as a team. Both games could have had different outcomes.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

All Kenny can really do is rotate in the likes of Obafemi, McClean and Browne. In other words, it doesn't matter what he does, they're fucked because they have shite players.

Obafemi scored more in the English Championship than Lyndon Dykes last season.
McClean has spend most his career playing regularly at a good level and has more international experience than any of our players.
Browne is captain of Preston and has over 250 appearances at a good level down south.

You could make an argument that those three players are better replacements on paper than Patterson, O'Donnell, Brown, Stewart, Dykes, Campbell, Ferguson, Kelly or Clark.

I think we have the better team, but we shouldnt underestimate them, especially since most of their players play at similar level to a large part of our team.

2 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Obafemi scored more in the English Championship than Lyndon Dykes last season.
McClean has spend most his career playing regularly at a good level and has more international experience than any of our players.
Browne is captain of Preston and has over 250 appearances at a good level down south.

You could make an argument that those three players are better replacements on paper than Patterson, O'Donnell, Brown, Stewart, Dykes, Campbell, Ferguson, Kelly or Clark.

I think we have the better team, but we shouldnt underestimate them, especially since most of their players play at similar level to a large part of our team.

He did score more than Lyndon Dykes, but he still only scored a grand total of twelve goals in thirty-two games.

McClean is finished and has been for a long time.

Browne offers nothing going forward, yet gets played in that role for Ireland. And anyway, we've seen many, many times that just because you amass appearances in the Championship doesn't mean you're any good.

Robinson can't get a game for West Brom.

Ogbene is actually a decent player, but he's incredibly raw.

Parrott has 41 games and 8 goals in League One this year.

You might be shitting yourself over that calibre of player, but I doubt anyone else is. They're at least one and maybe two levels below us. If we don't win here it would be a very disappointing result.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

He did score more than Lyndon Dykes, but he still only scored a grand total of twelve goals in thirty-two games.

Browne offers nothing going forward, yet gets played in that role for Ireland. And anyway, we've seen many, many times that just because you amass appearances in the Championship doesn't mean you're any good.

You might be shitting yourself over that calibre of player, but I doubt anyone else is. They're at least one and maybe two levels below us. If we don't win here it would be a very disappointing result.

Where did I say anything remotely along the lines of saying I'm shitting it? 

I even said in that post I think we have the better team. I think we should win and will be disappointed if we dont.

But they shouldnt be disrespected or discounted because it would be entirely like us to underestimate them and get beat.

14 hours ago, paddymcp said:

That Armenia side was one of the worst I can remember in recent years to play at Hampden. If they can beat Ireland then the Irish must be absolute dug meat. 

Armenia were poor but I imagine they would be a different proposition playing at home in 30+ degree heat.

21 minutes ago, G51 said:

We have to score to win !

CB: Souttar, Hanley and McKenna.

WB: Patterson and Robbo.

MF: Gilmour, Calmac and McGinn.

FW. Adams and Christie.

It isn't going to be as easy as last night. Eire dominated Armenia apparently and got suckered by a fantastic finish. Armenia had two clear chances against us last night and with a bit more composure would have scored one. It can happen, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

They're absolutely the sort of team we'd struggle against and we need to use pace and incision to get behind them, hence Robbo and Pato on the wings with Gilmour playing sexy shroo balls to turn their defence. 

30 minutes ago, velo army said:

It isn't going to be as easy as last night. Eire dominated Armenia apparently and got suckered by a fantastic finish. Armenia had two clear chances against us last night and with a bit more composure would have scored one. It can happen, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

I think Stephen Kenny was more or less spot on in what he said after the game. He doesn't obviously have the results to point to and so no-one gives it the time of day. They performed better than the results suggest. The way they play is quite similar in approach to Scotland.

44 minutes ago, velo army said:

CB: Souttar, Hanley and McKenna.

WB: Patterson and Robbo.

MF: Gilmour, Calmac and McGinn.

FW. Adams and Christie.

They're absolutely the sort of team we'd struggle against and we need to use pace and incision to get behind them, hence Robbo and Pato on the wings with Gilmour playing sexy shroo balls to turn their defence. 

They didn't quite dominate them.  Sure, they had more possession but they did very little with it.  McGinn had more and better chances last night than Ireland did all game.

Armenia sat deep, but had more attacking intent than they did against us.  They counter-attacked quickly (like they tried last night).  They scored a worldy, and had another brilliant strike chalked off for offside.

Ireland could still be playing and wouldn't have scored.

Armenia are dreadful.  Ireland are a better side, but there's a reason they haven't won a competitive game in three years (10 games).

image.png.0cd0ba2c82069378e610df1da170bccb.png

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

8 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

They didn't quite dominate them.  Sure, they had more possession but they did very little with it.  McGinn had more and better chances last night than Ireland did all game.

Armenia sat deep, but had more attacking intent than they did against us.  They counter-attacked quickly (like they tried last night).  They scored a worldy, and had another brilliant strike chalked off for offside.

Armenia are dreadful.  Ireland are a better side, but there's a reason they haven't won a competitive game in three years (10 games).

Thanks for that context. I hadn't realised Armenia had 10 shots. That's quite a riddy for Eire.

11 minutes ago, velo army said:

Thanks for that context. I hadn't realised Armenia had 10 shots. That's quite a riddy for Eire.

I do however worry with your point otherwise, it's just going to be an FA Cup tie by another name.  Games like that quickly descend to a level above the 'weaker' side, and below the 'stronger' side.

With the way they're playing, a quick goal might kill it.  Duffy and Egan, however, give me the fear at set pieces.

32 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Not that it really takes away from the point, but they’ve won competitive games against both Azerbaijan and Luxembourg in the last couple of years. 

1 hour ago, Binos said:

Ireland no victory in 12 nations league games,  scoring 2 goals 

No competitive home victory in 3 years is it

Everything points to an Ireland victory Saturday 

Well, thanks for that. My son has already told me that he thought my earlier post was too negative. You've now given me even more of the fear!

23 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Well, thanks for that. My son has already told me that he thought my earlier post was too negative. You've now given me even more of the fear!

He'll learn 

From watching both games in detail, Ireland were competitive in both games: could have won, drawn or lost either. The way it worked out they lost both of the games. Ireland play according to the same or similar football principles as Scotland, based around positional play theory.

In one sense it makes them quite predictable as it's unlikely they will change anything coming into the Scotland game (other than personnel) about their approach because added to the short turnaround time it takes a lot of time on the training pitch to become effective with this current approach - knowing what zones to be in and positions to take up. Stephen Kenny is invested in this approach.

Edited by 2426255