Ireland v scotland

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

An abysmal display from 1-11.  No point singling out individuals when the whole team is as bad as that.

That said, Hendry and Hanley were so bad it's hard to find words for it

One of the most infuriating things to watch today was our short goal kicks. Gordon plays it to Hanley, who plays it to Hendry, who then plays it into a man-marked John McGinn, who loses the ball. Repeated the whole fucking game.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

One of the most infuriating things to watch today was our short goal kicks. Gordon plays it to Hanley, who plays it to Hendry, who then plays it into a man-marked John McGinn, who loses the ball. Repeated the whole fucking game.

Aye.  Hendry's passing was awful the whole half.  Bad choices, bad pace on the ball, misdirected.  Hanley was as well but you expect that.

The marking at set pieces was grim as well.

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Aye.  Hendry's passing was awful the whole half.  Bad choices, bad pace on the ball, misdirected.  Hanley was as well but you expect that.

The marking at set pieces was grim as well.

Hendry has somehow built an ill-deserved reputation as a centre back who can pass the ball. 

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s been a problem well before that. Dalglish and Hansen, both multiple European Cup winners, got the same treatment.

Alan Hansen in a Scotland shirt deserved every bit of criticism that came his way, he was a disaster from first cap to last...

4 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:
Worse than Kazakhstan away?
Worse than the Faroes game where we were 2-0 down after 10 minutes?
Worse than some of the friendlies under Bertie and Burley?
Impressive. I’ll need to watch the highlights to see just how rotten we were.

Sadly my man, it really was. We were utter shadows tonight.

4 hours ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Without question, it belongs in that same company.

4 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It was I’m afraid mate.

Mon now. It was bad but Kazakhstan was worse than that. Fairly bad though. Hopefully McGinn and the others have found their shooting boots by September 

I think we got taste this evening of what would've happened if we had somehow managed to get past Ukraine and make it to Cardiff.

With that in mind, it was probably best from a Scottish viewpoint that we were humbled in Glasgow against Ukraine rather in Cardiff against Wales. They would've especially enjoyed it after 1977 & 1985.

I don't think Clarke should go at the moment. However, the way things are going, it perhaps needs another review at the end of September.

The manner of this defeat is particularly galling because it happened so soon after the World Cup play-off capitulation.

The buck stops with Clarke. He really needs a win in Yerevan and that feels like it's going to be a tough assignment for us.

He's improved us to a degree but then he's had a better squad to pick from than was the case with the last few of his predecessors.

His inability to make tactical changes swiftly enough during game time is really killing us.

The Ukraine game was a perfect example. I was about 15 minutes late getting into Hampden but within a couple of minutes it was clear we were waiting for Ukraine to open the scoring. 

Mon now. It was bad but Kazakhstan was worse than that. Fairly bad though. Hopefully McGinn and the others have found their shooting boots by September 
What bright spots did you see? Genuinely?
Apart from a wee burst of pressure just at 11 mins, we were just nowhere.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

What bright spots did you see? Genuinely?
Apart from a wee burst of pressure just at 11 mins, we were just nowhere.

It wasn’t so much bright spots, we did have chances and for me it wasn’t quite as abject a performance as that Kazakhstan game.

On the radio they were talking about McGinn only having scored once in his last 25 games and Che Adams only having scored once in 12 games. Usual goal scorers off form while defence has a nightmare and the result is that today.

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

At least we got there regularly then. We rarely even qualify now.

Maybe, but when you have that kind of talent in the squad never making it out a group stage can only really be seen as a failure 

It wasn’t so much bright spots, we did have chances and for me it wasn’t quite as abject a performance as that Kazakhstan game.
On the radio they were talking about McGinn only having scored once in his last 25 games and Che Adams only having scored once in 12 games. Usual goal scorers off form while defence has a nightmare and the result is that today.
It was so much more than a poor defence and misfiring front line.
The midfield was toothless, second to every ball, and as a result Adams just looked like a tourist, and the defence had to weather wave after wave of spirited attacks from ROI. McGinn's head is still a mess after that Ukraine miss and he needs benched.

3 hours ago, Ken Deans said:

Is a lot more than fragility. Shameful episodes from Premiership players whose managers continue to pick them. Steve Clarke is a dud

You sir.......are a dud....NO ...I take that back....yer a fanny.