Ireland v scotland

12 minutes ago, gerrymcc1978 said:

robertson does need to do better 100% agree. but lets not start pretending hickey is aywhere near his level, if we actually played with some attacking intent we might see the best of robertson but we dont , and the answer to us dropping him for a right footed LB just makes us even more slow and predictable in possession.

The moaning at Robertson is tiresome, the reasons for his generally mediocre performances have been explained numerous times. At Liverpool he is in a side dominating the game, where he has high quality attacking players surrounding him, particularly Mane/Luis Diaz ahead of him who occupies the full-back. His best attacking work is done by arriving with momentum onto the ball in the final third and with plenty of players to pick out in the middle.

Switch to Scotland, he is playing wing-back with no-one in front or behind him, he is our biggest name player so is a marked man, usually double marked. He is generally defending more than attacking, and when he does get the ball it's on the half way line with the opposition winger and full-back to beat before whipping a cross into Che Adams and if we're lucky John McGinn.

This is neither a defence or criticism of him, it's just the reality. When playing 3-5-2 you completely negate his best aspects and isolate him defensively. The exception obviously being when Tierney plays because then he has someone to help occupy the defence and give him some support. He's still clearly not at his Liverpool standard but he is much better when Tierney plays.

In the system we play he is never going to be be any better than he currently is so I really don't get the moaning at him.

I actually thought Ralston looked ok, at least in spells. The tactic of trying to get folk down the wings seemed to work well initially, but for whatever reason we seemed unable to do it more than about three times.

I thought Gilmour was pretty anonymous - the less said about that free kick delivery the better, right enough - but there’s really no point in picking out individuals. Across the board that’s as gutless a performance as I’ve seen from Scotland.

2 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

I actually thought Ralston looked ok, at least in spells. The tactic of trying to get folk down the wings seemed to work well initially, but for whatever reason we seemed unable to do it more than about three times.

I thought Gilmour was pretty anonymous - the less said about that free kick delivery the better, right enough - but there’s really no point in picking out individuals. Across the board that’s as gutless a performance as I’ve seen from Scotland.

It's as gutless as the one last week 

12 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The moaning at Robertson is tiresome, the reasons for his generally mediocre performances have been explained numerous times. At Liverpool he is in a side dominating the game, where he has high quality attacking players surrounding him, particularly Mane/Luis Diaz ahead of him who occupies the full-back. His best attacking work is done by arriving with momentum onto the ball in the final third and with plenty of players to pick out in the middle.

Switch to Scotland, he is playing wing-back with no-one in front or behind him, he is our biggest name player so is a marked man, usually double marked. He is generally defending more than attacking, and when he does get the ball it's on the half way line with the opposition winger and full-back to beat before whipping a cross into Che Adams and if we're lucky John McGinn.

This is neither a defence or criticism of him, it's just the reality. When playing 3-5-2 you completely negate his best aspects and isolate him defensively. The exception obviously being when Tierney plays because then he has someone to help occupy the defence and give him some support. He's still clearly not at his Liverpool standard but he is much better when Tierney plays.

In the system we play he is never going to be be any better than he currently is so I really don't get the moaning at him.

100% agree , people just want to blame robertson for things that arent all his own doing, he can do better i agree with that, but he's stuck out wide in a team that doesnt create much space or pulls players out of position like liverpool do, everything scotland do is slow and predictable, lack of movement, there is no space for him to effect the game.

1 hour ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

f**k that, been there done it. Needs to be an outside the box option. Someone on the ascendancy. Britney Spears, c’mon down. Or across/diagonally. Or whatever fucking direction you need to be going in. Just don’t end up toxic.

I know it's been done. I am in no way advocating for him to be considered. The guy is thankful he even has a job in football after his comments. He should have been banned from the 'industry'.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, I see that Robertson is getting the Darren Fletcher treatment from some idiots. Always amusing to see some morons publicly declare themselves as such. 

said this ages ago, its the darren fletcher, scott brown treatement, become captain and they take all the flak.

Almost identical performance 
In the Ukraine game, we were chasing shadows, but at least blundered some sort of response late on.
In this one, we didn't even achieve that. Against a side in atrocious form too. Much, much worse IMO.

The stuff about Robertson, better players, system, increased expectation/scrutiny etc is all true - but doesn't explain him blootering a cross out of play, miscontrolling simple passes, misplacing 10 yard passes, having his touch go out for a throw in and so on. I'm a massive fan of his and have stuck up for him constantly - but he makes a baffling amount of individual, technical errors in a Scotland shirt that have nothing to do with the system or players around him. Mistakes you'd be surprised at lesser players making, never mind him. He's not the only one of course, but the better players argument only goes so far.

I should point out that he was consistently brilliant for us around 2014-17/18ish and hardly put a foot wrong. There may be an element of him trying too hard as a result of the expectations placed on him, something he has spoken about publicly too.

Edited by Fratelli

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

It's  time we invested in a proven international manager with a good track record.

And stop investing in 2nd and 3rd rate Scottish dross.

Issue is the SFA are skint as we have failed so many times to qualify for major tournaments.

The SFA will probably go for big Malky. 

I really don’t see any current Scottish managers taking us forward. The only one decent down south would be Davie Moyes but he won’t give up West Ham gig for Scotland.

What has been criminal in so many of the defeats in recent years is the rate at which we are conceding goals. 

Just now, SuperSaints1877 said:

Issue is the SFA are skint as we have failed so many times to qualify for major tournaments.

I really don’t see any current Scottish managers taking us forward. The only one decent down south would be Davie Moyes but he won’t give up West Ham gig for Scotland.

What has been criminal in so many of the defeats in recent years is the rate at which we are conceding goals. 

Problem is the sfa is run by people from the sfa

We need to stop singling out players for criticism.

Collectively they need to take the blame for shitshows like today and Ukraine.

Most other teams have had pkayerzpkaying a long season and now June. That doesn't wash with me

The buck stops at Clarke and his shitbaggery tactics. He's finished after today, even it many won't accept it.

3 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I don't care if they are skint, they owe us better than we have been getting served up for years by Scottish jobbers.

I know we're not Brazil but I do honestly think I could do a better job after today.

I agree with you regards defeats, also its the roller coaster form under Clarke that really pisses me off. How many times have we failed to turn up in the first half.

If its Malky MacKay I suggest we withdraw from international football.

We have sadly lacked the pace, skill and determination of KT. Since he has gone to Arsenal he has suffered so many injuries. Let’s hope that is all behind him moving forward as we desperately need him. Ideally as captain.

If only Ross Stewart could develop his game next year in the Championship and score a barrel of goals as we need something different up front.