Ireland v scotland

1 minute ago, Biscuits said:

KT is without doubt our best player. By an absolute fuckin mile. To try and accommodate both him and AR in the team we switched to a back 3. With Tierney in the team it works. Without it’s just shite as we don’t have the players to play it.

This seems to Clark’s problem - he doesn’t switch the team to a formation that suits the players available. Tonight being a classic example. Should’ve played 4-3-3 and pressed the absolute f**k out of a team on a terrible run with no confidence playing in front a crowd who could quickly have turned on them.

Instead we sat back and allowed them to dictate the game, scoring first and giving the crowd a lift.

No plan b from Clark. His subs were pretty much like for like. No imagination.

I think we have a decent squad - best one for a number of years. Clark isn’t the man to get the best out of them - time to bring in someone who can.

And no, I don’t know who…..

the thing is we could easily go to a back 4 with robbo and KT, I think they've struck up a good understanding with each other ( i know its popular we have to pivk one and forget the other). KT could play the left CB of a 4 better than all the "natural" CB's we have.

This is really grasping at straws. I fail to see how it suits us any less than every other team.
Much of the Ireland team come from the Championship which has more games than our Scottish and EPL players.
Yeah that's kind of what I mean. I'm looking for excuses, but they're just not holding water.

KT is without doubt our best player. By an absolute fuckin mile. To try and accommodate both him and AR in the team we switched to a back 3. With Tierney in the team it works. Without it’s just shite as we don’t have the players to play it.

This seems to Clark’s problem - he doesn’t switch the team to a formation that suits the players available. Tonight being a classic example. Should’ve played 4-3-3 and pressed the absolute f**k out of a team on a terrible run with no confidence playing in front a crowd who could quickly have turned on them.

Instead we sat back and allowed them to dictate the game, scoring first and giving the crowd a lift.

No plan b from Clark. His subs were pretty much like for like. No imagination.

I think we have a decent squad - best one for a number of years. Clark isn’t the man to get the best out of them - time to bring in someone who can.

And no, I don’t know who…..

Totally agree with KT and the fact its the same style every game. We don’t ever press in big games, and it kills us

1 minute ago, gerrymcc1978 said:

the thing is we could easily go to a back 4 with robbo and KT, I think they've struck up a good understanding with each other ( i know its popular we have to pivk one and forget the other). KT could play the left CB of a 4 better than all the "natural" CB's we have.

Get "Robbo" dropped. Blood Hickey in his natural position or play Taylor there if it suits. Robertson needs to buck his ideas up quite a bit when he's in a Scotland shirt, judging by his performances tonight and Vs Ukraine 

1 minute ago, Moysterclass said:

Get "Robbo" dropped. Blood Hickey in his natural position or play Taylor there if it suits. Robertson needs to buck his ideas up quite a bit when he's in a Scotland shirt, judging by his performances tonight and Vs Ukraine 

robertson does need to do better 100% agree. but lets not start pretending hickey is aywhere near his level, if we actually played with some attacking intent we might see the best of robertson but we dont , and the answer to us dropping him for a right footed LB just makes us even more slow and predictable in possession.

We could aye but I think 3 at the back gives KT that wee licence to roam which is so important to his game. Just gives a wee bit more cover.

6 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I doubt they'll give it to McGhee now so it'll be McLeish or Strachan.

That would be some tremendous trolling TBF.

Is Mike Mulraney still the chair? I'm sure Barry Ferguson would consider the job, and Mike's still a big fan.

robertson does need to do better 100% agree. but lets not start pretending hickey is aywhere near his level, if we actually played with some attacking intent we might see the best of robertson but we dont , and the answer to us dropping him for a right footed LB just makes us even more slow and predictable in possession.

The problem with Robertson in a scotland shirt is that he forgets he’s allowed to go forward and actually take players on. Sick fed up of watching him on the wing and turning back in and passing to a centre half. Fuckin get forward like you do for Liverpool ffs

4 minutes ago, gerrymcc1978 said:

i'd take him in a second but the SFA will pick a scottish guy with an unremarkable managerial career and is jutst a bit too afraid to be positive from the outset

^^^ Berti Vogts advocate.

1 minute ago, Biscuits said:

We could aye but I think 3 at the back gives KT that wee licence to roam which is so important to his game. Just gives a wee bit more cover.

i've got no problem sticking with the 3 , but we just arent comfortable when Tierney doesnt play and thats quite a bit. hanley/hendry/cooper just aren't good enough on the ball and the drop off is huge.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Do you genuinely think Clarke is a brilliant manager ? I think you are pulling his leg.

I don’t think he’s done anything to warrant being sacked yet, no. I’m not saying he’s unquestionably brilliant.

Tonight was abhorrent but we’re a mediocre team and are vulnerable to results and performances like tonight. 

And you can f**k off calling me a troll. 

5 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
7 minutes ago, eez-eh said:
This is really grasping at straws. I fail to see how it suits us any less than every other team.
Much of the Ireland team come from the Championship which has more games than our Scottish and EPL players.

Yeah that's kind of what I mean. I'm looking for excuses, but they're just not holding water.

I do actually agree, I think the likes of McGinn and Robertson certainly look burnt out tbh. It’s not just volume of games but their intensity - the EPL is a much more tough league than most for that and they are two players that played every game they were available for their club, likewise Hanley who has also looked slow (and he isn’t actually a slow player.

Just now, lochgellyPAR said:

The problem with Robertson in a scotland shirt is that he forgets he’s allowed to go forward and actually take players on. Sick fed up of watching him on the wing and turning back in and passing to a centre half. Fuckin get forward like you do for Liverpool ffs

I think thats the system though, we've got to get him into those areas high up the pitch, we just do not move the ball well enough or quick enough to penetrate defences.

23 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Agreed. It is actually quite hard to pinpoint a single cause of failure (cue "answer: Clarke" type replies).
Part of me thinks the June dates don't suit us energy-wise... but we looked sharp enough Vs Armenia the other night. Truth is ROI were simply more fired up and determined than us.
Part of me also looks to Clarke's selection and tactics... but he made his changes with plenty of time left today. And the criticism over shifting McTominay into defence and back again feels moot - we were powderpuff in each and every variation we tried.

A few people tried that excuse after the Ukraine game, tonight's result destroys that argument. If Ireland's players can play like that then there is no reason why Scotland's can't.